topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Doc Report Ep. 1 - Interview with Nico Westerdale of Bits du Jour  (Read 8257 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I'm happy to say that Doc and I have finally got the first episode of The Doc Report published with a great interview with Nico Westerdale! (Post at Cynic.me - has links to several of Nico's sites.)

In case you don't know, Nico Westerdale is the guy behind Bits du Jour, which I'm pretty sure most people here know about. (They have fantastic discounts on lots of software, but only for 1 day.)

In the interview we Doc and I talk with Nico primarily about software marketing. There are some really bizarre surprises in there, but I'm not going to post any spoilers. ;) Suffice it to say, I'm confident that you'll be both entertained and surprised. :)

Some other fun stuff in the podcasts includes:

• "The Techie Treasure Chest" - Some recommendations
  • "Dysfunctional Fractoids" - A trivia question where you can win a free software license
  • "Helpful How-tos" - Self explanatory ;)

The show is safe for work. ;)

Feed: http://thedocreport.com/feed/podcast/
Interview MP3: http://thedocreport....nico_westerdale_.mp3

Enjoy~! ;D

Disclaimer and comment
Dr. Apps (Doc) is the Software Community Guru at Sweet Labs (formerly OpenCandy). (They recently released Pokki, so they have more than 1 product/site now.)

I was approached by after writing a blog post (Opening Up OpenCandy) in which I use WireShark to walk through the network traffic and demonstrate what information is and isn't transmitted. I joked at the end of the post, "Man… I think those guys at OpenCandy should hire ME as an evangelist~! =D"

More information is available at http://thedocreport.com/.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

drapps

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Doc Report Ep. 1 - Interview with Nico Westerdale of Bits du Jour
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Hi DC'ers!

Long time, no Doc!  ;)

Please do check out the show and let us know what you think!

We've aimed to produce a high-quality podcast that's useful for *any* developer.

If you have any suggestions of topics you'd like to "see" (okay, "hear") covered, let us know.

Be well! :)

Dr. Apps
Software Community Guru for SweetLabs

http://twitter.com/drapps

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Sorry for the late review. Just downloaded and listened to it and I like it. :)

Few suggestions -

1) PDF transcript please (ya know speed of my USB data card ryan  :D)
2) Interviews of developers from codecanyon (envato) or other freeware/shareware authors
3) GTD stuff (interviews or resources?) :P
4) Audio goes up and down, that's the only problem. So please fix that.

Keep up with the podcast  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Few suggestions -

2) Interviews of developers from codecanyon (envato) or other freeware/shareware authors

Ah! Good to hear that you liked it! We've got a fantastic show coming up next that you won't want to miss!

RE:

#1 - Remember that thread I started about speech to text? That was one of the reasons... :(

Neither Doc nor I have time to do full transcriptions right now. So... Let's hope for some wild success for it, and maybe we can change that. :)

#2 - Thanks for the suggestions! I'll make sure to talk to Doc and we'll look into it.

#3 - Hmmm... I really haven't read about GTD (only GDT ;) ), so I'll need to think about it and talk to Doc.

#4 - We were rushing to finish the show, and I probably should have spent more time in post-production fixing levels. The next one is much better though. I spent a good amount of time on cleaning, levels, and all that.

Anyways, no spoilers for the next show, but are interviewing a rock star. ;)

:D

drapps

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33 PM »

Few suggestions -

Thanks for listening and for providing feedback!  :Thmbsup:

#1) Working on a solution for transcriptions. Really important to have content like this as accessible as possible! Don't want it "locked up" in audio-only. 

#2) Definitely! I'll reach out to Envato. And we'll be interviewing freeware/shareware/open source authors too. If you have anyone/someone in mind and want to/can intro us, please shoot over an email to  loopback [At] thedocreport [D0TTT] com.

#3) Great topic to cover! Useful for everyone! Now who to interview... There's already a lot of great GTD talks/presentations/interviews out there. Hmmm... (brain working). We can definitely cover some resources in "Helpful How-tos" and/or "Techies Treasure Chest".

#4) It's always just my voice isn't it? :P Maybe, I'm *too* animated for audio... Haha. It'll get better! :)

Thanks again and stay tuned!
Dr. Apps

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Ahhhh, finally I got around to listening to this! (Still not got around to #2 yet, been listening to 'Symphony of Science - the Quantum World!' on repeat half the night lol)

Nothing to really add to the conversation as such, will comment more after listening to #2 xD

Anyhow, It was a bloody good listen and I highly recommend it to my fellow DC members!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Whoa! Totally missed this... heard most of the intv. right now but I'm really high and would like to do it justice. I'll definitely give it a second (sober) listen. Renegade, you're the resident celeb, I totally blame you for missing this when it was posted (not pimping your fame in the post title and making it seem like just another intv.  :D )

Great work, guys!  :Thmbsup: Looking fwd to more... and P.S. - Renegade, if you don't go on a tangent during one of these and start ranting about Apple I WILL BE DISAPPOINT!!  ;D

Edit: Just read Stephen's post... there's already a part 2?? Fuck, I'm drunk!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:45 PM by nosh »

drapps

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Ahhhh, finally I got around to listening to this! (Still not got around to #2 yet, been listening to 'Symphony of Science - the Quantum World!' on repeat half the night lol)

Nothing to really add to the conversation as such, will comment more after listening to #2 xD

Anyhow, It was a bloody good listen and I highly recommend it to my fellow DC members!

That is awesome! I hope you love episode #2... and all that follow after that! We'll appreciate *any* feedback and thanks for listening! :)

Whoa! Totally missed this... heard most of the intv. right now but I'm really high and would like to do it justice. I'll definitely give it a second (sober) listen. Renegade, you're the resident celeb, I totally blame you for missing this when it was posted (not pimping your fame in the post title and making it seem like just another intv.  :D )

Great work, guys!  :Thmbsup: Looking fwd to more... and P.S. - Renegade, if you don't go on a tangent during one of these and start ranting about Apple I WILL BE DISAPPOINT!!  ;D

ROFL!!!! Thanks for listening! HAHA, we managed NOT to record Ryan's Apple rants. The show is SFW. But man... have we had some LIVELY off the record ones! Oh, and *ahem* maybe Ryan should "come clean" about a recent Appley event in his life (if he hasn't already). :P *DOC RUNS AWAY*

Btw, we have a "rant" segment called "Open Commentary" but we haven't done one for a show yet. I'm still not sure it can be pulled off in a SFW way!

Ryan posted a thread for episode #2 over here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=27814.0 btw.

Be well everyone and don't be scared to share the show! :)
Dr. Apps

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06 PM »
maybe Ryan should "come clean" about a recent Appley event in his life (if he hasn't already).

He has - apparently he's getting a divorce as a result.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Whoa! Totally missed this... heard most of the intv. right now but I'm really high and would like to do it justice. I'll definitely give it a second (sober) listen. Renegade, you're the resident celeb, I totally blame you for missing this when it was posted (not pimping your fame in the post title and making it seem like just another intv.  :D )

Great work, guys!  :Thmbsup: Looking fwd to more... and P.S. - Renegade, if you don't go on a tangent during one of these and start ranting about Apple I WILL BE DISAPPOINT!!  ;D

Bwahahahahaa~! ;D Glad to see that I'm not the only one that posts drunk every once in a while~! ;D

(Though you didn't make an ass of yourself, and I know that I have a few times. :P )

As for Apple rants... sigh... It's SFW, so all that would get edited out anyways. :(

We'll see though. I think that I can control my otherwise foul mouth. (Spills chicken blood into pan, throws bones, does funny dance, starts chanting, eyes roll back into head...) :P