topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries  (Read 29713 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 03:19 PM »
^If that's the case then just do a basic install of Win 7 and the drop VMWare Workstation on top of it. Then do everything under virtual. That would be the easiest and best solution IMO. With 16GB RAM and an i5 chip you should be able to handle anything...
 8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 03:20 PM »
In order:

hi 40 -
nice seasonal avatar :)

I think you're answering my questions from last year that Contro quoted... might help him (I'm sorted at this stage).

Oh...

Ok...

Guess I'm the one who is confused here. :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Hi, Tomos.  I recently bought a computer rather similar to the one you've described: Win 7 Professional 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, i5 2400.  Like you, I have some programs that date from the 1990s, and I was afraid that they wouldn't run on this machine and so I would have to figure out how to use XP mode.  Well, to my surprise, almost all the programs I have will run under Windows 7.  Every now and then, I'd be asked whether I wanted to run the program in "compatibility mode."  If I said yes, I was given a choice of various earlier versions of Windows.  I didn't have to install anything to make the computer give me this choice.  It seems to be a feature simply built into Windows 7 (or perhaps Windows 7 Professional).  Whether this is what is meant by XP-mode, I'm not sure.  I didn't expect the process to be so seamless.  Anyway, I think you too may find that all or almost all your programs will run on Windows 7 without your having to do much to make that happen.

I think the problem is communicate.
The important thing is communicate.
I have forgot splendid programs and old ones like wordperfect 3.1 or Quattro because the communication.

At the present moment you can have virtual machines running other operating systems, but the importan point for me is the ability to use Ditto (clipboard manager)
Ditto have the feature ditto friends.
i am trying to know the possibility of interchange information with the virtual machine.

I think everyone in this forum wish to have an integrated option.

:P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 03:21 PM »
^If that's the case then just do a basic install of Win 7 and the drop VMWare Workstation on top of it. Then do everything under virtual. That would be the easiest and best solution IMO. With 16GB RAM and an i5 chip you should be able to handle anything...
 8)

I have an i7
I am very happy now.

Best Regards.
Really i want to come back to climb mountains

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22 PM »

you're not the only one :-\

@ Contro, this blitz of posts with multiple quotes is totally confusing

edt/ I give up
Tom
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:34 PM by tomos »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22 PM »
In order:

hi 40 -
nice seasonal avatar :)

I think you're answering my questions from last year that Contro quoted... might help him (I'm sorted at this stage).

Oh...

Ok...

Me ?
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 03:25 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the XP-Mode is basically a free copy of Windows XP installed in Microsoft Virtual PC.

So if you already have an XP license, you might as well install it in your VM software of choice.

That's the point. using virtualbox we don't need the professional version. But I have xp pro....
But a good reason is the limit of 16 GB of ram memory with premium edition.

Except that with VirtualPC you can have some things i am very used of :
multiclipboard, by example

Perfect communication between the virtual machine and the host. This is the point, and then have specialized machines.
with your old beloved soft.

:-*