topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Am I alone in not using or wanting to use the "Cloud" ...  (Read 15031 times)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The title says it all - am I all alone with my little PC and my files all here with me ?

I wonder if others feel the same, maybe misplaced, distrust of the cloud ?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:14 AM by joiwind »

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Am I alone in not using or wanting to use the "Cloud" ...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Nope, you're not alone.

Noone actively wants to use these buzzword technologies, save for the firms that sell them, and a few transnational corporations for whom it makes sense.

But the vast majority does not think about the matter very much. Instead people passively rely on the information they had been fed through advertisements. Hence the feeling that cloud or any other buzzword is useful.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:23 AM »
No. I hate the cloud. I distrust companies as a whole. No facebook nor twitter for me - nevermind all my personal collected stuff. If I forget to backup and I lose my stuff, I can blame me. Once I use the cloud (as my backup), they are supposed to backup their stuff, but once that goes wrong they'll weasel out of it with their black-on-whites.

Don't get me wrong: I love the digital world. And for everything that gets out of fashion/usefulness in a short time period, I don't really care since I'll likely replace it with something more suitable of the times. But my photos, videos and other memories are my own. And if big money wants to take a bite at that stuff, I'll make them bite at world peace first. And climate changes. And more stuff.

(What do you mean paranoid? ;))

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Those who are using low speed internet connection feel the same. I don't want games, audio/graphics apps/notebook/wordprocessor apps and files on cloud. I wish to keep that data on my HD. But i do think cloud storage is good option for website backup, online radio etc.

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I am slowly using more and more of the "cloud", but I am not happy about it. The main issue for me is the opacity of the cloud. I do not know what hardware and software and people are taking care of my data. When I do not understand something, I tend to fear it.

I am dreaming about a different cloud, one that is more transparent in its working and I can see what is going on inside.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Despite the fact of using Facebook I am rather against the Cloud and an idea of sharing *everything*. I simply prefer to keep my valuable data for my eyes only.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I want to expand a bit on my previous post...

Backup-wise, I would trust the cloud if I spoke for a company and a proper contract was involved. Whatever the data is, it is financial in nature and depending on their booboo it can be recovered according to the risk assessment a competent IT department/head-honchos would have made.

But not as a consumer. Consumers get shafted. If a consumer even backups, they'll likely only do it to one place. Consumer-level facilities have one single purpose only: that of a cash cow. If you end up shafted, you can try to sue but usually the contracts will get as little attention as the gum under your shoe because you assume it will be okay when setting it up. (Companies on the other hand can't afford that, and pay people to read those contracts properly.) And what do you lose? Personal stuff monetary reimbursement cannot ever replace.

The Cloud sucks for consumers. I just hope people realize that before harddrives are outlawed for anything but a boot drive because it encourages piracy. (Yes, I just made that one up on the spot, but I dare you to deny that it is scarily well possible.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 10:51 AM »
About the only cloud solution I'd mostly trust is one I owned and controlled myself.

Fortunately, all you'd need for your own cloud is: a broadband connection; a reachable IP address; a FOSS all-purpose server like Amahi or Superb Mini Server - and enough hardware to run it on.

For a modest investment in money and time, you can get your own little digital freehold.
 8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:03 PM by 40hz, Reason: Spelling - bugger this stupid iPhone! »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I neither trust nor use the cloud. 
If I can't use it for critical stuff, I can't see much point in using it for material of no consequence.
As far as I can tell there's no way to know who's able to access one's data nor to govern who'll be in control of it after the next round of corporate acquisitions.
I can see no workable (for me) remedy to lost or stolen data.

I'm just a little guy, with no need to access material from different locations, and local storage is so cheap. Luckily for me there is no incentive to cloud my judgment.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:07 AM »
For a modest investment in money and time, you can get your own little digital freehold.

Very good point!  :up:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I use cloud services where they make sense for my needs. I'm judicious about them and tend to choose locally installed solutions whenever possible, but there are some things that "cloud" (I still hate the term) services enable that are too useful for me to pass up. Things like off-site backup, access-anywhere-email with a good web-based UI, persistent calendar, social networking, etc. There are locally-based options for all of these things, but they're less convenient or ubiquitous, generally speaking.

I think the important point for me is that I use but don't inherently *trust* the "cloud". I backup all my cloud data in various ways (it's surprisingly easy to do in most cases). For cloud backup, it's not my only backup source, just the one I use for off-site redundancy. My local backup is still "primary". Many people in this thread seem to be calling out these services for their lack of accountability, being dangerous to rely on, etc. That's true of most solutions though, even the ones you setup yourself. You're "accountable" to yourself, but it's not going to help you in the case of a massive backup/data failure.

Cloud services are just another piece of the puzzle for me and I think that's the only sensible way to treat them. Don't fear them, don't vilify them, use them sensibly and to your advantage. If you're concerned about privacy in general, or actually do have some genuinely sensitive info, then think twice before putting it up there, and if you do, encrypt it. But don't *not* use something that would be useful for you just because you have to encrypt data to do so. Encrypting your data, if you have real privacy/security concerns, is something you should probably be doing on your local machine anyway, and doing so to take advantage of cloud services is just as legitimate.

The bottom line for me is the utility provided by some of these services can be very high, and I'm comfortable using them knowing I don't solely rely on them and would not be screwed without them. I would be inconvenienced if, say, Gmail went away tomorrow, but I'd still have all my email and could easily move it to my ISP's IMAP service, or most any other system. I think this is a pretty healthy way to relate to any service, not just cloud services: use what works for you, keep your options open, don't compromise your requirements, but don't overlook a useful solution on principle either.

- Oshyan

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Great - I don't feel so alone  ;D

(Just got back from my siesta...)

I don't have a FB account, nor Twitter, in fact I don't even own a mobile phone. I have my own domain, so my emails and all are on "my" disk space.
Some very interesting comments here, thanks guys.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Some very interesting comments here, thanks guys.

You're welcome.!  :Thmbsup:

If you get a chance, give a listen to this Linux Action Show podcast. They discuss running your own cloud with FOSS software starting around the 45 minute mark. It's worth putting up with the blathering to get to the 'meat & potatoes' of the show.

A few episodes later, co-host Bryan decided that the Amahi Home Server would likely do most of what he was trying to accomplish without the headaches and hassles of trying to configure your own. Link here.
 8)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 02:23 PM »
About the only cloud solution I'd mostly trust is one I owned and controlled myself.

Fortunately, all you'd need for your own cloud is: a broadband connection; a reachable IP address; a FOSS all-purpose server like Amahi or Superb Mini Server - and enough hardware to run it on.

8)

I have been working this way for quite some time, though I am finding it quite handy to have internet mail services which one can argue is a cloud service.  What I find interesting is the OpenCloud movement.  Citrix just bought Cloud.com which is a platform for creating your own internal clouds.  I want to check it out but don't have the hardware for it yet.  Any of you who do, please don't keep secrets - let us know how it goes/went  :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 05:24 PM »
In general, I don't trust the cloud service concept.
They may backup my media collections, but that's all.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 05:46 PM »
+1

The other worry I have is that any company at any time can rewrite its terms and conditions - it is bad enough when you buy software but when they control your data that is a frightening prospect!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I hate cloud computing, and every other vapid bit of sheeple herding marketing hype the corporate masters keep trying to enslave people with.

Cloud = "reoccurring revenue stream" ... Which is guaranteed buy the fear of lost data. The only guarantee you get however is completely vapor.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I hate cloud computing, and every other vapid bit of sheeple herding marketing hype the corporate masters keep trying to enslave people with.

Alice.jpg

No need to mince words or pull punches SJ! Tell us how you really feel about the cloud. :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I guess I'll come down on the other side of the fence, because while I don't blithely use any services (my drop box never held important data) JungleDisk has saved me more than once, and Google Documents has definitely facilitated a lot of the work that I've done.  It's just like anything else to me- a tool, and one that is to be used when appropriate.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 01:57 AM »
I dunno. I kinda like it. The "cloud," that is.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 03:48 AM »
It seems you guys don't consider email to be a cloud service?

You can, after all, access it from anywhere. Your data is primarily stored on a server you don't have under your control. Actually, today, it is still surprisingly hard to have your email data stored (that is just a claim, for I don't really know) and communicated in an encrypted form.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 06:06 AM »
I use GMail - but I don't trust it for its storage capability which is why I back it up locally daily

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 06:41 AM »
It seems you guys don't consider email to be a cloud service?

True, as it's a way to get things to you. Kinda like the Post Office vs. a filing cabinet. Once you get it from the post office it's "yours". And you can then decide if/where to store it.

Being that most (or at least they used to be) mail services are POP/SMTP, by default nothing was stored online after delivery. MAPI clients did/do that but I don't think they've entirely taken over just yet. So (for the most part) your mail storage is up to you (e.g. non-Cloud).

Did I mention that I run my own mail server.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 06:53 AM »
You know you're a masochistic geek when...

Did I mention that I run my own mail server.

Yeah... I'm in the same club...

On topic -- My wife just got burned by Yahoo. She had a blog with Yahoo and they axed it all. She lost a couple years worth of writing. (Pulse)

I've been there too many times.

The cloud (originally had a typo -- COULD -- rather ironic) is great if you PAY for it. Free s**t is exactly that. S**t. But worse. Dry s**t. Y'know. Like as in buffalo chips. Dried elephant poo. Y'know... The stuff that BURNS and people use for FUEL! Ya gotta expect that you're gonna get burned. You don't roll around in gasoline then light up a cigarette and complain that it was not fun.

I think News Corp. got burned too. To the tune of about 550 million times. Hahahahaha~! :P

Mind you, some pay services have suddenly dumped people too. But, it's less frequent.

Other than a few things that you can't purchase, like a Facebook or Twitter account, pretty much everything I use "in the cloud" (whatever that means -- they're just servers with a "cooler" name) is paid. That's actually not much, as I don't have much faith in anything.

Ok. Time to go get non-cynical. Without stinky fuel. :) :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I understand that there's a variant of poker that uses buffalo chips...  :P