topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?  (Read 119555 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Got Space?
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Maybe the '% Free' column could have a visual indication of the amount of free space? Like fill that percentage of the background of the cell with a different color, a bit like in TreeSize.

Well... While it is abundantly clear that this can be done ... I am currently forced to resign myself to the fact that I can't pull it off. This is perhaps due to my insistence on using pure WinAPI C++, and the fact that I'm also a completely self taught hobby coder isn't really helping matters much either... *Sigh* However I do plan on releasing the source code for GotSpace with the final contest build so it can be expanded on by someone with a better understanding of what the hell I'm doing (or rather trying to do...as it were).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2011, 10:46 PM »
Special thanks to kunkel321 for creating the icon. Got Space? is now final at v1.0.0.35

Source code also available in the first post of thread.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Nice work SJ, and appropriate icon kunkel321  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Spotlighted on ghacks.net.  Nicely done.  =]

http://www.ghacks.ne...storage-information/

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Congrats, SJ!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Great utility, SJ, thanks! And I think I have a new puzzle for you:

gotspace.png

Drives A and B are listed as floppies, but they're not. They're weird :)

B is a subst drive, my mnemonic for Backup. It's a subst'ed folder on an external G drive. (And G is listed as local probably because it's plugged in via Firewire, which I don't think is distinguishable from true local drives. Windows itself and ShadowProtect can't tell the difference either.)

Now, A is a partition of my first fixed HDD. I use it as scratch area (temp folders, browser caches, Archivarius indexes, all that). So it's actually a sibling partition of C. Windows knows that, but Total Commander doesn't (it does not display exe icons, as it thinks it's a removable drive). So, not floppies :)

Here's what the Extended Info command says about them:

A:
gsextA.png

B:
gsextB.png

(Btw, you may not need the period after "Extended Info" command in the context menu.)

I know, poor choice of drive letters! I just got tired of figuring out whether 'p' or 'q' is better for a particular use, and realized I had two perfectly good letters sitting around unused at the start of the alphabet.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38 PM »
@ tranglos - I swear I typed a response earlier this week, but it's just... gone... I don't know were it went.

Early in the project I ran into issues with the Floppy drives lagging the refresh and throwing errors if they were empty. Given that the BIOS forcibly assigns letters A & B to floppy drives, the handling of those two letters is a bit different to make them easier to skip early in the refresh process.

The Extended Info. dialog collects its information independent of the main interface. So the MS-DOS device name will correctly show the actual target path of the drive letter. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is handy (at least for me) for finding out where a mapped/SUBST'ed/DFS drive letter actually points.

Stunt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48 AM »
Great little app!   8)

Given the nicest thing about this is it does near enough exactly what I want without a ton of extra junk like graphical displays of free space, scans etc I'm wary of mentioning these, but two features I'd like to see:

1.  Option to not display removable drives with 0 used - I've 4 card reader slots, which always show as removable, always 0 used apart from the 20 seconds a week when I'm transferring pics.  If I disable removable in the app I lose these, but I don't get to see my external HDD or USB sticks.

2.  Option to show drive labels

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54 AM »
1.  Option to not display removable drives with 0 used - I've 4 card reader slots, which always show as removable, always 0 used apart from the 20 seconds a week when I'm transferring pics.  If I disable removable in the app I lose these, but I don't get to see my external HDD or USB sticks.
You could exclude the specific driveletters by setting these in the Options panel (F8).

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2012, 02:01 AM »
And an issue report:
  • 'Save position' doesn't seem to save the last position used when GotSpace is closed, but only when configuration is saved

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2012, 06:53 AM »
Great little app!   8)

Given the nicest thing about this is it does near enough exactly what I want without a ton of extra junk like graphical displays of free space, scans etc I'm wary of mentioning these, but two features I'd like to see:

1.  Option to not display removable drives with 0 used - I've 4 card reader slots, which always show as removable, always 0 used apart from the 20 seconds a week when I'm transferring pics.  If I disable removable in the app I lose these, but I don't get to see my external HDD or USB sticks.

2.  Option to show drive labels

Hide empty drives is an interesting idea, I may look into that when I unbreak my compiler (time permitting). The drive labels I thought about a great deal but given the auto refresh option I didn't want to take a chance on it lagging/crashing GS of the machine was (iffy or) under load. That's why I put them in the Extended Info dialog ... It was the best compromise I could come up with.

And an issue report:
  • 'Save position' doesn't seem to save the last position used when GotSpace is closed, but only when configuration is saved

The default for save is in memory for the current session only (for testing purposes). So everything defaults when the GS is restarted. If either .ini or reg is selected (reg setting override ini settings), then GS should store and reuse the given configuration. Last Position was tested to be multi-monitor friendly.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13 AM »
What a great app!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50 AM »
The default for save is in memory for the current session only (for testing purposes). So everything defaults when the GS is restarted. If either .ini or reg is selected (reg setting override ini settings), then GS should store and reuse the given configuration. Last Position was tested to be multi-monitor friendly.
But I've set it (before, and still selected) to store settings in GotSpace.ini... :huh:
It does get saved if I first move the window to the desired position, open options, and press OK to save. That's not as *I* expected :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28 AM »
But I've set it (before, and still selected) to store settings in GotSpace.ini... :huh:
It does get saved if I first move the window to the desired position, open options, and press OK to save. That's not as *I* expected :)

Ah! So you were looking for the typical application behavior of auto-saving the window location on exit. Given the dual save configuration option I couldn't do that without defaulting to one or the other and pissing off one camp or the other. That and I hate when programs auto-create files I don't need/want. I also didn't want to take a chance (given the portability factor) of having it auto save a setting that would push it off the visible area of the screen. Which is part of why the settings save functionality is segmented so the user doesn't have to commit to a complete save of everything.

Once the .ini is created it is loaded/used/defaulted to (same as reg settings). But the decision of when/where/if to save it is left to the user.

Stunt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22 AM »
You could exclude the specific driveletters by setting these in the Options panel (F8).

True - just thought it would be more useful to hide those with 0 capacity - which would then permit them to show after an auto-refresh when you pop in an SD card - empty or otherwise.

Capacity rather than space used seems the reliable trigger for this.

Bending_Unit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Nice work Stoic Joker.   :Thmbsup:

Out of curiosity: The program you were using before? Disk Space Pro from Peter Pearson by chance?

As to feature suggestion: Completely unimportant stuff but i am kinda used to the very simplistic view from the above one.
An option to disable grid lines and colors? An option to disable and enable columns? (i don´t really need space used for example)
But again thats stuff because i am used to it that way. Maybe for a long cold winternight ... or just never.  ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Nice work Stoic Joker.   :Thmbsup:

Out of curiosity: The program you were using before? Disk Space Pro from Peter Pearson by chance?

Nailed it!

As to feature suggestion: Completely unimportant stuff but i am kinda used to the very simplistic view from the above one.
An option to disable grid lines and colors? An option to disable and enable columns? (i don´t really need space used for example)
But again thats stuff because i am used to it that way. Maybe for a long cold winternight ... or just never.  ;)

That's actually already available if you drag the column width down to 0 and save the column size settings. For the colors set low to 0 and high to 101 and they're gone. But I got no quick answer for the grid lines. Sorry :)

ultimo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Stoic Joker, This piece of software is exactly what I could make use of  :Thmbsup:
Thanks for creating it!

I have a couple of issues though, Once opened.. I tried to include the drives to be hidden, when I closed & reopened the app, that setting was forgotten, I made the change again, when I tried to reopen the app, it never opened again.

rebooted to windows, same issue, however the process is running, if I try to open it again, another process is included into the processes list.

To All, is it only me who is facing this issue?

Am on win xp sp 2 if it matters in fixing the issue.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Hm... That is odd behavior. GS doesn't have any type of autorun functionality...so it shouldn't still be running after a reboot.

On the settings, the default is save changes in memory only. So you'll need to select either the registry or GotSpace.ini option in the Store This Configuration In section of settings before you hit ok. This was to make it configurable while remaining Zero Presence portable.

ultimo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I noticed that & chose ini, it worked! (its supposed to, i kno :-[ )
however it creates a prompt to declare the excluded drives, is there an option to disable that?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2012, 08:25 AM »
however it creates a prompt to declare the excluded drives, is there an option to disable that?

Currently no, but it does prove to be handy in the long term when bouncing from system to system so one remembers that there are other drives that are being ignored.

ultimo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Sweet sauce! Thanks so much... i'll be all eyes for tht option
again,  :Thmbsup: on this awesome stuff :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Fantastic program. I still run it from time to time, from my pen-drive suite. Here's a screenshot after I JBODed a pair of old discs (some of them partititioned). LOTS of free storage space!

2013-02-06_170019.png

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. Altho it looks like I might need to let it scale switch up to TB from your totals. ...Or is having it read x,000 GB just too much fun to let go of? :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I might need to let it scale switch up to TB from your totals. ...Or is having it read x,000 GB just too much fun to let go of?

My thought is, make it optional (GB or TB units).