topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: We need some good tech news sites - Where are they?  (Read 7494 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We need some good tech news sites - Where are they?
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:23 AM »
As a spin-off of the betanews complaint thread, I have to ask...what sites does everyone visit for good, updated, and relevant tech news that is not just opinion pieces?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: We need some good tech news sites - Where are they?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33 AM »
The Twilight Zone?

Not sure. But it's a good question... I read whatever pops up in my news feed, but it's not like it's good news. Jeez, they can't even write in proper English and it's often apparent that they simply don't understand some basic concepts given their misuse of technical words. And those are supposed to be 'news' articles.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04 AM »
I just come here for my tech news. :Thmbsup: I let you smart folks filter out the boring stuff and post the really good stuff.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Distrowatch for all things GNU/Linux.

HowtoForge for hands-on step-by-step guides and info on how to get the most out of FOSS applications and operating systems.

4sysops for those responsible for networks, or business and enterprise computing.

MIT's Technology Review for heavy-duty tech news for grownups. One of the few newsletters I accept in my mailbox. (the other is the OSNews Newsletter - IMO better than the actual website.)

The TED Talks More recreational or "food for thought" news. This is the place to go for tech that's either coming to us in the not too distant future - or tech that's destined to vanish and never be seen again. Lots of interesting "stuff" presented by some of the most interesting people on the planet. (Stay thirsty my friend! ;D )

Arstechnica - if you have to ask what this site's about, you don't need to know.  ;) ;D

There are others, but this will do for a start. Put them in your feedreader and grab a free copy of Canaware NetNotes and/or a free ReadItLater account to archive whatever piques your interest. You're just a short step away from being better informed about tech.

Then buy yourself an iPad, invest in a grunge wardrobe, get a weird haircut, stop shaving regularly, don some retro shades, cultivate a taste for double expressos - and you'll soon discover you can hold your own in any hipster venue.

The only difference between vous and Them is you'll actually know something about what you're talking about.  

Do it! :Thmbsup:

8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:21 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Wow, Ars covers a lot more stuff than I remember. I'll admit it's been ages since I've really spent much time there, but it appears to be a pretty solid replacement for Slashdot, with actual original content and higher quality to boot. Hmm!

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:34 PM »
@Renegade - please don't read beyond this point. You've been driven crazy enough by stupidity that I won't be responsible if you completely lose it because you start visiting this site.  ;)

Here's a picture of a cute puppy to look at instead! :)  :Thmbsup:

puppy.jpg

Everyone other than Renegade

For the rest of you:

If you suffer from chronic low blood pressure - or function best when you're half out of your mind with moral outrage and indignation - check out TechDirt for your daily serving of tech news laced with a healthy dose of raw spleen.

smashed.gif

Started in 1997 by Floor64 founder Mike Masnick and then growing into a group blogging effort, the Techdirt blog uses a proven economic framework to analyze and offer insight into news stories about changes in government policy, technology and legal issues that affect companies ability to innovate and grow.

The dynamic and interactive community of Techdirt readers often comment on the addictive quality of the content on the site, a feeling supported by the blog’s ~800,000 RSS subscribers, 45,000+ posts, 600,000+ comments and a consistent Technorati Technology Top 100 rating. Both Business Week and Forbes have awarded Techdirt with Best of the Web thought leader awards.

You can also find Techdirt on Twitter and Facebook.

Barely a week goes by that I'm not completely overwhelmed with anger (or laughing vindictively) over some bit of news I've read here.

Not for the faint of heart.  :o

You have been warned. :tellme:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:18 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Eep. I think I'll pass on TechDirt. ;)

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12 PM »
I just come here for my tech news. :Thmbsup: I let you smart folks filter out the boring stuff and post the really good stuff.

That's a very astute observation. Thinking about it, I do the same with news I get from friends on Facebook or here. They're my #2 source of news.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19 PM »
@Renegade - please don't read beyond this point. You've been driven crazy enough by stupidity that I won't be responsible if you completely lose it because you start visiting this site.  ;)

Here's a picture of a cute puppy to look at instead! :)  :Thmbsup:
 (see attachment in previous post)

Could... not... resist... temptation...

Had... to... click...

Had... to... read...

Massive... overload... brain-overflow...

Must... commit... technocide...

http://www.techdirt....-once-thats-it.shtml

DRM - You get 1 chance at the game. No save files. Nobody else can play it. 1 game. No starting over.  :huh:

Ahem. Cue the censor...

Yeah. Right.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Several that 40hz mentioned, esp. ARStechnica, and I use a lot of writers' personal twitter accounts to follow the latest. There's also:

Linux News Here
It culls news from 14 different Linux news sites

TechSpot
Good news site, somewhat like Beta/FileForum, only I think better on the news side.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:47 AM »
I follow a lot of tech bloggers on Friendfeed, which not only gets me what they write, but also what they read & share. Discussions there can be pretty interesting, too.

The only real problem with that approach if all you want is tech news, is that they share personal stuff too...and there is no shortage of the stupid, silly, and tons of memes. You follow a tech blogger and you get posts about their kids, what they are listening to on last.fm, movies they are watching, and everything under the sun along with the tech stuff they share from Google Reader, through the bookmarklet, and autoposted from their own blogs.

It's kind of like Facebook without the apps, but a much more open community centered around sharing content found on the web and created by members.

The site is a firehose of information that flies by in real time.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:52 AM »