topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Mp3 catalog/database programs  (Read 35999 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mp3 catalog/database programs
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 11:08 AM »
What do you guys miss in MediaMonkey, that other MP3 catalog programs have?
No answer? Interesting enough! 8)

Thanks to Alertbear I just saw that lifehacker made MediaMonkey Download of the Day:
"a killer freebie for anyone looking to get their music library in order":

Read more: http://www.lifehacke...y-windows-209721.php

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »
What do you guys miss in MediaMonkey, that other MP3 catalog programs have?
Sorry BrotherS...here's my response:

I looked at MediaMonkey.  It's very, very nice and handles cataloging very well, especially considering it's a free app.  I still have to say it doesn't have the power of MP3 Collector.  I think it depends on how much importance you place on cataloging vs. a person who is just looking for a convenient way to keep track of his music.  Personally, I am very anal about my catalog, down to every filename, directory structure, disc labels, id3 tags.  MP3 Collector allows me to customize exactly how I want to process all that information, with customization to spare.  MediaMonkey doesn't have the options MP3 Collector has, but if you are not cataloging to that extent, then it's a great tool for playing and keeping track of your music.

I'll try to put it in a way which I think most people will approach the situation:

--You have a bunch of mp3 files on your hard drive and/or cd/dvd.  You use Winamp or some other jukebox to play the music, and these programs have the inherent ability to keep track of your music library (whether they are any good or not is another question).

--You start getting the itch to have a little more control of your library, so you look for some more powerful applications to play/catalog your music.  If this is the case, go to MediaMonkey because it looks to be the best application I've seen for this (and it's free).

--If you still feel you need more control of your library, I think it's time to start thinking about separating the player for the catologer.  It's time to go to MP3 Collector, because I don't think there's a comparable application.

I've separated my player and cataloger long ago, as I was never close to happy with any of the bundled players/catalogers (this is long before MediaMonkey was available, so I didn't have a good alternative).  Now, I use foobar to play my music (definitely the most customizeable and powerful music player) and MP3 Collector to catalog my files (arguably the most customizeable and powerful cataloging software).

So those are my thoughts.

PS  As of now, the only feature request I have for MP3 Collector is the ability to have open multiple databases simultaneously (which is a common request for most database-like software these days).

mojomuse

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 04:35 PM »
just had to chime in here, to say ..

sadly just noticed easimp3 appears to have dropped of the dev horizon (used to be great/with new version pending even better).

lucky for us, however, you can now get something even better - namely mp3toys (http://www.mp3toys.net/).  won't go into reams about how great this music player/manager is, but recommend you just look at the screenshot. and then the price!  :)

also, have met with robert, the developer (who also has some connection with last.fm) and he really works hard on the app.

cheers ..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 05:30 AM by brotherS »