topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Podcasts of ACCU 2011 conference  (Read 5882 times)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Podcasts of ACCU 2011 conference
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:48 AM »
There are some podcasts of ACCU 2011 conference talks online now. I have not attended the conference (I am a member of ACCU though). I've watched the Move Semantics, Perfect Forwarding, and Rvalue references talk by Scott Meyers. Video is more or less unusable (you can't read the slides), but the audio quality is really good. And Scott seems to be a funny guy :) . So I guess the talks will be hard to follow if you have no prior knowledge whatsoever about the respective subject.

Podcasts are here: http://skillsmatter....event/home/accu-2011

Info about ACCU is here: http://accu.org/

ilovekonoka

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Podcasts of ACCU 2011 conference
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Thanks, phitsc - the talks seem quite useful. I'm watching CPU Caches and Why You Care by Scott Meyers, who seems indeed funny =)

Btw, slides can be found by googling for the talks' titles. For example, the slides for the talk mentioned in your post is here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM by ilovekonoka »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24 PM »
ACCU = Association of C and C++ Users

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Thanks, phitsc - the talks seem quite useful. I'm watching CPU Caches and Why You Care by Scott Meyers, who seems indeed funny =)

Btw, slides can be found by googling for the talks' titles. For example, the slides for the talk mentioned in your post is here.
-ilovekonoka (May 16, 2011, 11:35 AM)

Hey, thanks ilovekonoka for pointing that out. Now that makes these talks *really* useful!

I've long wanted to hear Scott Meyers speak, but that guy is just so damn expensive :(

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18 PM »
ACCU = Association of C and C++ Users

Exactly. Besides the yearly conference (which I have never attended to be honest) ACCU publishes two journals with programming-related articles (not only C++) written by volunteering members. I find both publications really quite good. I urge everyone who's into C / C++ (or programming in general) to join.

ACCUbuttonl_88x31.gif

The archive of Overload (one of the publications) is available to non-members as well.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing this :)

BTW, it looks like some of the talks mentioned at:

http://skillsmatter.com/event/home/accu-2011

don't look to have links pointing to pages with presentation videos (at least some how they don't seem to show up here under IE8 and FF4):

huh-no-links.pngPodcasts of ACCU 2011 conference

Searching on Google for some of the titles does turn up some pages with links to video.  Inspection of the HTML revealed that the links are there.  Odd that they don't appear to show up here.

Anyway, with a bit of work it appears some more videos can be gotten at...though it does look like at least one talk has yet to be made available.

P.S. The following link leads to descriptions of talks and occasional links to slides:

http://accu.org/index.php/conferences/accu_conference_2011/accu2011_sessions
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:23 PM by ewemoa »