topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Growing Green != Going Green  (Read 8976 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Growing Green != Going Green
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:51 AM »
Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity

People growing marijuana indoors use 1 percent of the U.S. electricity supply, and they create 17 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year (not counting the smoke exhaled) according to a report by Evan Mills, an energy analyst at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

After medical pot use was made legal in California in 1996, Mills says, per-person residential electricity use in Humboldt County jumped 50 percent compared to other parts of the state.

What are hippies going to do now? They either have to stop the marijuana habit or admit they really don't care about global warming.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Growing Green != Going Green
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06 AM »
Hah, that's hilarious. Of course if it was fully legal they could just grow out outdoors where there's plenty of natural light and the plants would actually be pulling carbon dioxide from the air...

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:14 AM »
Hah, that's hilarious. Of course if it was fully legal they could just grow out outdoors where there's plenty of natural light and the plants would actually be pulling carbon dioxide from the air...

- Oshyan

+1
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17 AM »
And of course every marijuana user is a hippie, very good. I couldn't agree less.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:31 AM »
And of course every marijuana user is a hippie, very good. I couldn't agree less.

I thought that too (as a response) but then I saw the point was that, [of the dope smokers,] it's only the hippies that care about global warming
(poor Deo get's a hard time...)
Tom

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:17 AM »
I wonder how much CO2 is bound by those weeds. I guess it's less than what the alleged grow lights cause to release.

And there are other ways to cultivate weeds that do not require so much energy, but patience and a little bit of technical skill. I mean if you can grow tomatoes indoor, a weed should almost grow by itself.

OTOH I supported Prop 19, so I am biased against any such reports.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Hm... I have long hair, but I quit smoking weed years ago, and while I like the whole green thing to an extent, I think global warming is bull shit.

I have no idea what to make of this 1% issue...

Why don't they find out what 20% of it is caused by and bitch about that instead?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Hm... I have long hair, but I quit smoking weed years ago, and while I like the whole green thing to an extent, I think global warming is bull shit.

I have no idea what to make of this 1% issue...

Why don't they find out what 20% of it is caused by and bitch about that instead?

Because any excuse to bitch is a good excuse to bitch? :)

I dunno... I'd still take advantage of it to push for legalization. (I'd still want to see skunk restricted as it is actually dangerous.)

Like SJ, I quit smoking pot years ago. Last I read, something like about 1/3rd of Canadians admit to smoking pot or have smoked it. It's a non-issue for a lot of people, so making it illegal seems odd. And there are all those wonderful environmental benefits! Yeah! The environmental benefits dude~! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Last I read, something like about 1/3rd of Canadians admit to smoking pot or have smoked it

That's why 1/3rd of Canadians have corn fields  ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41 PM »
What are hippies going to do now? They either have to stop the marijuana habit or admit they really don't care about global warming.
Yeah well, if they smoke enough they aren't likely to care about anything :)

Prime reason all kinds of drugs isn't legalized is not public health issues, it's the cash flow. The corrupt politicians want their bribes, and the police/military/etc wouldn't want their funding cut or lose the ability to play with a lot of fancy toys. The general population would be better off, though, we'd see crime rates drop quite a lot, and organized crime would lose a helluva lot of their cash flow. But it just ain't gonna happen. Too bad, remember what happened once the alcohol prohibition ended?
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 06:45 PM »
me reason all kinds of drugs isn't legalized is not public health issues, it's the cash flow. The corrupt politicians want their bribes, and the police/military/etc wouldn't want their funding cut or lose the ability to play with a lot of fancy toys. The general population would be better off, though, we'd see crime rates drop quite a lot, and organized crime would lose a helluva lot of their cash flow. But it just ain't gonna happen. Too bad, remember what happened once the alcohol prohibition ended?

+1  :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Let me add that I find it hysterically funny that countries who ban personal freedom don't ban alcohol and cigarettes while they're at it - wanna bet which causes most deaths, broken families and healthcare problems?
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Prime reason all kinds of drugs isn't legalized is not public health issues, it's the cash flow. The corrupt politicians want their bribes, and the police/military/etc wouldn't want their funding cut or lose the ability to play with a lot of fancy toys. The general population would be better off, though, we'd see crime rates drop quite a lot, and organized crime would lose a helluva lot of their cash flow. But it just ain't gonna happen.
reminds me of:
around about 2000(AD :p), crime rates went down a good bit in Dublin; politicians & police were happily claiming credit - but it turned out the reason was a surplus of heroin on the market which reduced prices, thereby reducing mugging quotas per junkie....

Too bad, remember what happened once the alcohol prohibition ended?
eh, no?
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Too bad, remember what happened once the alcohol prohibition ended?
eh, no?

The "War-on-Whiskey" ended with it, along with most of the more common reasons for people to be shooting each other in the streets.