topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)  (Read 184914 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I have two folders, say named Folder A and Folder B.
They're stored under different paths and have different names. Inside are other nested folders and files, which have the same general directory structure, but may or may not all match. What I'm trying to find out is exactly what's there and what's not, and for the ones that have same filename and patch, whether they're indeed the exact same files.

The fact that SFV Ninja stores relative paths instead of absolute paths lets you accomplish what you want:

• Use SFV Ninja to create a checksum file for Folder A.
  • Save the resulting checksum file in Folder A.
  • Move the checksum file (or copy it) to Folder B.
  • Open the checksum file with SFV Ninja and have it verify the checksums.
That's what I thought would be the steps, except when I created the checksum file and moved it to the other folder, then selected "Load checksum file" -> "Verify All", all I got was the program re-verifying all the files in the initial folder that the checksum was created from. I also tried "Scan folder for checksum file and load" and got the same result.

That shouldn't happen if you follow my instructions to save the checksum in Folder A. Since the paths are relative, it should verify the checksums for the current folder, which will be Folder B after you copy/move the file.

I also forgot to say that after you've copied/moved the file, you should clear the list, and then add Folder B to the list using the "Add folders to list" option before loading/verifying the checksum file. This will show you which files don't exist in Folder A, since they won't have any checksums saved in the checksum file.

Cocoa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30 AM »
@Dezoaan Thanks, I got the sfv working now.

This might be a bit confusing but where you save the SFV file is important in relation to which files are in the list:
  • Files that are on the same drive as the saved SFV file path are saved with paths relative to the save folder.
  • Files that are on a different drive than the saved SFV file path are saved with full paths.

Thank you for the reply, but as an average user, it IS rather confusing for me why the location where the sfv file is saved should matter. It's especially hard to understand just from reading the two sentences.  :huh: BtW, by "same drive" do you mean an entire physical hard drive itself or just a logical partition?

I've managed to accomplish the initial goal of comparing those two folders by saving the sfv file first inside the first folder. After some more time testing and using SFV Ninja, I do have some additional questions:
There are some cases where it's not possible to save the sfv file in the exact same location as the files/folders the checksums were being generated for. For example, when reading the contents of a networked drive or an optical disk/image. The original path might be read-only. Is it absolutely necessary to save the checksum in the exact same path? Is there another way?

Also, it would be helpful to be able to export the results of the checksum comparison report as a txt or html formatted file. I've tried to directly use Ctrl + C to copy the results and paste it into notepad, but it appears the contents are not possible to copy into clipboard.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2017, 05:31 AM »
BtW, by "same drive" do you mean an entire physical hard drive itself or just a logical partition?

Same logical partition.

Also, it would be helpful to be able to export the results of the checksum comparison report as a txt or html formatted file.

See new version below.

Website | Download
v1.3.6 - 2017-05-06
    + List clear mode toolbar option is now saved.
    + Added "Save list to HTML file" option under the File menu. (Thanks, Cocoa)
    * Good rows are now coloured green.
    * Eliminated dependency on resources.dll for icon glyphs.
    * Eliminated dependency on temp directory.

Seveleven

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Hello, thank you for this very handy program. I especially like the "check only new files" option which saves me so much time on really large folders.

I was wondering if you could add an "ignore list" where the user can add files and filetypes which SFV Ninja will completely ignore like "Thumbs.db", ".txt" files or other hash files like ".sha1", ".md5", etc.

Frog Manus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2019, 02:49 PM »
v1.3.6 - 2017-05-06

Can't open or check file if the file name is too long

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00 AM »
Can't open or check file if the file name is too long

I'm not sure what to tell you other than to shorten your filenames.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18 PM »
If the file name is too long, are you sure the error message comes from SFV? Or is it a error message generated by Windows and its NTFS file system?

When it is the latter, there is only one thing to do and that is shorten your filenames. Because every piece of (Windows) software in existence (that reads or writes data to a drive), must comply with the filesystem from Windows and its limitations.

The file system in Windows has a rigid limit and there is nothing you can do about that, unless you happen to work for Microsoft, fixing this limitation in their Windows file system. But if you are not an employee, then there is nothing you can do.

Frog Manus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Skwire

Ok. Thank you for the reply.
What should i do if folder names are too long?
How to check files in a folder? It's a bug?
----
I found a solution:

1. Generated report in WinRAR
2. Opened Excel and imported the report.
3. Checked files
https://transfer.sh/dUcih/Example.zip
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:13 PM by Frog Manus »