topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone testing Daminion Media Manager ?  (Read 48222 times)

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone testing Daminion Media Manager ?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Sorry for missed the last question about Auto-Syncing Metadata feature.

If you'll turn the Auto-Sync metadata feature Off - all your image tags will be stored in the Daminion database.
If you'll turn this feature On, once you assign tags to images Daminion will writes your tags into the file metadata.
It's recommended to turn it Off before a long assignment process and then turn it On on the end of the process (for performance reason).

BTW we released a new Daminion 0.9 beta version
We've added Camera Importer feature to this version plus about ~100 minor changes.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 01:26 PM »
thanks K.Murat :up:
will have to update my first-impression comments for version .9 :)
Tom

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Thanks for the new version K.Murat.

Two remarks :

Daminion keeps trying to read the A:\ drive on my machine (yes, I do have an A:\ diskette drive...), when I say keeps, I mean constantly - any ideas please how to prevent this ?

And secondly a request (unless I've missed this option somewhere) - how about an option to open Daminion without it immediately loading a catalog ?

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45 AM »
Daminion keeps trying to read the A:\ drive on my machine (yes, I do have an A:\ diskette drive...), when I say keeps, I mean constantly - any ideas please how to prevent this ?

- Could you please tell me your Windows version?
- Does the problem still there when you remove a diskette from floppy-drive?

And secondly a request (unless I've missed this option somewhere) - how about an option to open Daminion without it immediately loading a catalog ?
Daminion remembers the last opened catalog, and automatically open it on the next launch. We can add an option to launch Daminion without loading the lastly opened catalog if you'll close all catalogs before closing the program.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10 AM »

- Could you please tell me your Windows version?
- Does the problem still there when you remove a diskette from floppy-drive?

- XP
- It happens without a diskette.

Daminion remembers the last opened catalog, and automatically open it on the next launch. We can add an option to launch Daminion without loading the lastly opened catalog if you'll close all catalogs before closing the program.

Great, thanks K. Murat.

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Well I tested 0.9.0.525 and Daminion still tries to read the floppy drive.
I then closed the catalog, closed Daminion, reopened Daminion and it still tries to read the floppy drive AND opens the previous catalog.

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Did you close Daminion when updating? What version do you see on Help > About?

I've checked 525 version and it works fine for me when I attach my Floppy drive (in comparison to 524 version that is silently tries to access to the floppy-drive)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I downloaded the new version from the link in your post, it uninstalled 524 and installed 525 (yes 525 is shown in >About).

I tried again - opening Daminion, closing catalog etc... Daminion still tries to access the floppy drive when the catalog is closed, so I did the simplest thing and dis-activated the floppy disk driver - so that's fixed. However Daminion still opens the previous catalog when loading ... but please don't worry about that KM, it was just an idea for an option - the floppy disk problem WAS a problem !

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I've added an option to not open the latest catalog in our feature list (if it was closed before closing the Daminion)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I've installed and trying out the beta.  I am liking the layout and different options available.  Looks like I am going to have to start saving my pennies for when it comes out of beta.

There is one thing happening to me that I do not know if is a glitch or I just haven't worked with it enough yet. I am running on a dual monitor set-up. External is connected to my laptop.
Main program window is on the external monitor.
If I double-click one of the images in the main program window, a preview screen comes up full screen mode on the laptop screen.  That's ok.
I single-click on a different image in the main program screen and the image changes in the preview screen. Ok too. What I expected.
I click on another different image in the main program window and nothing changes in the preview screen.  Even tried going back to my original selection and no changes in the preview. I close the preview, double-click on a different image and it shows up in the preview. Repeat the same thing above and the same thing happens.

Is it something I'm doing wrong or a glitch?

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I've added an option to not open the latest catalog in our feature list (if it was closed before closing the Daminion)

Thanks KM.

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 03:12 PM »
bob99, this is because the preview window is opened as a modal window - we don't specially optimize it for dual monitor configuration. So you can't click on  thumbnails until close the full image preview on the second monitor. I've added a multi-monitor feature into our feature list.

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 08:41 AM »
A new Daminion 0.9.6 version has been released with more than 20 improvements, including:
- Custom Tags
- Improved image viewing
- New Localizations (German, French and Polish)
- Improved Color Management
- Improved support for Camera RAW files with .xmp sidecars
- more info on our blog

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for notifying the update KM - Daminion is constantly improving : faster, more powerful and more ...

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 02:56 AM »
A new update of Daminion 0.9.8b is available to download:

------- What's New -------
The new updated version of Daminion now has support for offline files and improved file/folder management capabilities, including:
- Moving (drag and drop) files to folders
- Adding sub-folders
- Renaming folders

This latest version allows the location of folders to be updated (re-linked). For example, if a folder is moved to a location outside Daminion, it’s now possible to simply re-link to the new location without having to re-import the entire contents of the folder.

There are more than 20 other minor improvements and bug-fixes. A detailed list of changes is available on our blog.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30 AM »
This latest version allows the location of folders to be updated (re-linked). For example, if a folder is moved to a location outside Daminion, it’s now possible to simply re-link to the new location without having to re-import the entire contents of the folder.

Great :up:.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 01:18 PM »
It's pretty much on-topic for both threads, so I quote post of mine from the "Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?" thread:

Could any users of Daminion comment on the programme?
I guess I'm especially interested in how it compares to other organisers - I know that's asking a lot (but no harm in trying).

I have an older version of Daminion installed. I will probably update it - but because I have no experience of other organisers I dont really have a concept of where it fits in with regard to others.

:-[ Also ACDSee has a fairly attractive offer at the moment which only runs for another 1.5 days or so, but me being 'unexperienced', it doesnt give me enough time to test it and get a feel for it ...

thanks, Tom
Tom

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Daminion Media Manager
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Daminion 0.9.9 was released.

What's New

• Improved File/Folder management
  • It’s now possible to remove folders from the catalog
  • Added support for drag-and-drop reordering of folder structure in the tags tree. You can now create subfolders by simply dragging and dropping one folder into another.
  • Re-location of media items. If you’ve renamed or moved a file outside Daminion you can re-link the file’s new location back to Daminion. To access this option go to the “Item > Actions > Relink Item…” menu.
  • Added option to Copy/Paste Tags. You can now copy and paste annotations from one item to another
  • Tag presets can now be assigned “on-the-fly” to importing files, i.e. during import.
  • The newly added “Tag Presets” allow you to define tag presets and assign them to files.
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements

A detailed list of changes is available on the product home page

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Looks to be a very nice program. But I personally can't justify taking the time to give it a thorough tryout because I know I'll never end up purchasing a license for it. :)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Looks to be a very nice program. But I personally can't justify taking the time to give it a thorough tryout because I know I'll never end up purchasing a license for it. :)

The standalone version is free ...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 05:30 PM »

It's not an issue of the price. It's more an issue of how much I'd need something that was so feature rich. I'm also mostly over to Linux these days so I already use Darktable which handles everything I need to do (plus more than I'll ever need  ;D) when it comes to digital images.
 :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13 PM »

My worry in this regard is that it has been mentioned that there will be a free and a pro version of standalone Daminion. Nobody knows what the difference between them will be, but it has been mentioned that the pro version might cost $149.

Now, I do not want to get locked into an image organizer (nice as it may be), if I end up in a position where I will need to spend $149 to keep using it. Please note that I am not saying the price is unreasonable or anything, Daminion really has a lot going for it, it's just way outside my DAM budget, and not knowing if I will be able to work with the free version makes it too uncertain for me :-[.

http://daminion.net/...ructure-and-license/

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 04:41 AM »

My worry in this regard is that it has been mentioned that there will be a free and a pro version of standalone Daminion. Nobody knows what the difference between them will be, but it has been mentioned that the pro version might cost $149.

Now, I do not want to get locked into an image organizer (nice as it may be), if I end up in a position where I will need to spend $149 to keep using it. Please note that I am not saying the price is unreasonable or anything, Daminion really has a lot going for it, it's just way outside my DAM budget, and not knowing if I will be able to work with the free version makes it too uncertain for me :-[.

http://daminion.net/...ructure-and-license/

Yes true, I don't know - I think only Murat could answer about that.

K.Murat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 07:25 AM »

Sorry for the late response. I didn't receive notifications about new posts in this topic.
We decided to drop the price for Daminion, and release multiple Daminion versions:
  • Daminion Free - Free (can be imported up to 15k files per one catalog)
  • Daminion Standard - $49 (can be imported up to 50k files per one catalog)
  • Daminion Pro - $99 (without limitations for number of files per catalog)