topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to exclude url link shortcuts?  (Read 5167 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to exclude url link shortcuts?
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:38 AM »
How can I exclude those shortcuts that are only url's to websites?  I can't figure out a way that excludes them and not other kinds of shortcuts.

hanzo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to exclude url link shortcuts?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:44 AM »
There seems to be a plugin callback to resolve the link, which one can code to filter out web address, but that's beyond my league. The second way is to manual exclude ".url" from search with "-.url", or give a very low score to .url extensions so they appear at the bottom through pattern scoring, or -9999 to exclude it. The third way  is to put all your shortcut urls in 1 folder and exclude the folder.

I believe the pattern scoring method should be the simplest.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:59 AM »
There seems to be a plugin callback to resolve the link, which one can code to filter out web address, but that's beyond my league. The second way is to manual exclude ".url" from search with "-.url", or give a very low score to .url extensions so they appear at the bottom through pattern scoring, or -9999 to exclude it. The third way  is to put all your shortcut urls in 1 folder and exclude the folder.

I believe the pattern scoring method should be the simplest.
but I can't figure out how to exclude url's.  They don't have "url" in them, just "lnk".

hanzo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:12 AM »
sorry then. that's a first for me. all my internet shortcuts end with .url. Those ending with .lnk are just file/folder shortcuts for me.

edit. oh. i manged to make a internet shortcut with the lnk extension, like "c:\firefox.exe" "www.google.com". no idea how to filter out these then. sorry.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:17 AM by hanzo »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55 PM »
yeah if there is nothing special about them from their filenames (like .com in filename or .url in extension or something) then you aren't going to be able to tell farr to filter them out en masse.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:04 PM »
yeah if there is nothing special about them from their filenames (like .com in filename or .url in extension or something) then you aren't going to be able to tell farr to filter them out en masse.
That's what I figured.  What's frustrating is that they always seem to have priority over the program file of the same name.  Maybe it's just in my head, but that's how it appears to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09 PM »
hmm.. well this is an interesting point.. i do resolve shortcuts for some purposes.. let me look back into this and refresh my memory about whether FARR will score based on resolved filename, and if so, how one would adjust score based on resolving to a url..

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24 PM »
hmm.. well this is an interesting point.. i do resolve shortcuts for some purposes.. let me look back into this and refresh my memory about whether FARR will score based on resolved filename, and if so, how one would adjust score based on resolving to a url..
I've been trying to figure out a good way to eliminate them.  But there's nothing that can distinguish it from any other link, other than intuition.

hanzo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31 PM »
how do you tell them apart? there must be some clue for you to determine if it's a shortcut url or not.

I was able to give preferred links higher scores by putting them all in alias name "*". It's a little troublesome if u have lots of links to add. But add them as they appear, and it shouldn't be that hard.