topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Listen to the new REM album in its entirety before it's released  (Read 3600 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Over at  NPR's First Listen, you can listen to REM's Collapse Into Now album. It's a comeback and it's good.

R.E.M. has followed a familiar trajectory for big bands that have been around a long time. After releasing a few groundbreaking albums in the early and mid-'80s, the band signed with a major label and became one of the biggest acts in the world.

collapse-into-now.jpg

Michael Stipe and company owned the early '90s with the albums Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Monster. But, inevitably, the band stumbled with later releases, especially after drummer Bill Berry retired from the group in 1997. Not much from its past several albums has fully captured the magic of R.E.M.'s earlier work, but the new Collapse Into Now sure does. The band's most rewarding album in 15 years, Collapse Into Now is a beautifully produced collection of intimate and reflective ballads ("Oh My Heart") and distorted, thumping rock numbers ("Discoverer," "All the Best"). While Bill Berry is still absent, the record features stunning appearances by Patti Smith, Eddie Vedder, Peaches and other guests.

Highlights include the anthemic singalong toward the end of "It Happened Today" — as joyous and infectious as anything R.E.M. has done, the song brings to mind classics like "Me in Honey" or "Belong" from Out of Time. The haunting closer "Blue," mixes experimental, ambient sounds with Stipe's somber narration, before morphing back to the driving melodies of the opening track, "Discoverer" — as if to say this is really the beginning, not the end, and there's still plenty to celebrate. As a longtime (and huge) R.E.M. fan, I figured we were done getting truly great, inspired albums from the group. But Collapse Into Now reaffirms R.E.M. as a vital, thoughtful and gifted band with plenty left to say. I can't wait to hear what comes next.

http://www.npr.org/2...-m-collapse-into-now

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Listen to the new REM album in its entirety before it's released
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip Zaine.

On the same page is Lucinda Williams' new album. I'm not familiar with her music, and listening here I find she sings, eh, a bit oddly... but I happened to hear it a two or three times lately (via npr) and it's really grown on me. They do say until March 1 so it will probably be pulled soon.

http://www.npr.org/2...nda-williams-blessed

[edit] it's gone now... [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:16 AM by tomos »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Good find! So far, a pretty good album. Definitely better than the last few overall. Welcome back REM!

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:20 PM »
That was so annoying I just shut it off partway through the second song. :down:

I guess I'm not a fan of REM.