topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: PORTAL 2 AVAILABLE NOW FOR PRE-ORDER  (Read 28260 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PORTAL 2 AVAILABLE NOW FOR PRE-ORDER
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Now I need to try Portal 2 in the multiplayer version - unfortunately I am a sad loser and don't have any friends so it is a bit tricky!
-Carol Haynes (May 11, 2011, 05:58 PM)

You on steam? Add username Metshrine and you will have your very first friend :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 06:25 PM »
@Carol:
Stamina makes up for experience?  :P

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17 AM »
Now I need to try Portal 2 in the multiplayer version - unfortunately I am a sad loser and don't have any friends so it is a bit tricky!
-Carol Haynes (May 11, 2011, 05:58 PM)

You on steam? Add username Metshrine and you will have your very first friend :)

How kind - taking pity on the old dear! Will do Josh. Now all we have to do is find a time when we are both online ;) v(Sorry my id is really boring - carolhaynes. Are nicknames a boy thing? I have never really worked out how to thimk of one?)

I am assuming that folowing my last comments you are neither random nor teenage  :Thmbsup:

Have you played the multiplayer version yet?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:20 AM by Carol Haynes »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 03:21 AM »
@Carol:
Stamina makes up for experience?  :P

No it doesn't - stamina just makes your muscles hurt more and your teeth fall out (not to mention the grey hairs) when you get older.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 04:51 AM »
How kind - taking pity on the old dear! Will do Josh. Now all we have to do is find a time when we are both online ;) v(Sorry my id is really boring - carolhaynes. Are nicknames a boy thing? I have never really worked out how to thimk of one?)
-Carol Haynes (May 12, 2011, 03:17 AM)

I added you to my friends list as well as invited you to the DonationCoder group on Steam.

But I don't own Portal 2 so I won't be able to help you out with multiplayer portal puzzle solving. :-[

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 05:09 PM »
I really want to play this game, but I'm not sure if it runs on my macbook and they haven't released a demo yet :(

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37 AM »
You should buy a proper computer them ;)

Seriously though the Mac spec says:

OS X 10.6.6 or later
Intel duo core (2GHz ore better)
2Gb RAM
Min 7.6Gb hard drive space
Radeon 2400 or nVidia 8600M or better

so if you Macbook betters that spec give it a go. You'll need a two button wheel mouse or game controller  though - can't see it being a comfortable experience with a Mac mousepad!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 03:55 AM »
You should buy a proper computer them ;)
-Carol Haynes (May 13, 2011, 03:37 AM)
I wish :)

Seriously though the Mac spec says:
-Carol Haynes (May 13, 2011, 03:37 AM)
From what I understand, my macbook is on the borderline of the minimum requirements, I'm afraid I'll have a bad gaming experience. Meanwhile, if I start to be desperate, I may install windows on the machine and just download a pirate version to see how it runs (given that I don't really have any other option  :-\).

ps: I honestly can't see why they don't release a demo, I can only justify it as a move to force people to buy the full game to know how it runs :(

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 04:20 AM »
You could try registering with Steam and buying Portal 1 from there. It is very cheap (£6 in the UK) and a great game and I can't see why if that works Portal 2 shouldn't - the engine and graphics don't look hugely different to me.

The Windows spec for Portal 2 is marginally lower: ATI Radeon X800, nVidia Geforce 7600 GT or Intel HD Graphics 2000 (alternatively any card with 128Mb memory, DX9 and support for Pixel shader 2.0b)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I swear DC is teeming with Apple heathens these days (sorry, can't help bugging you a bit :P)

There's a demo for Portal, but its Mac system requirements are significantly higher than those of Portal 2, so you may not even be able to install it, thus not really concluding if your computer can run Portal 2. But I understand the Source engine was greatly optimized in Portal 2 so the game could run well even on integrated graphics chips, provided they're new enough. You should complete the first Portal before playing the second one, anyway :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:24 AM by Lashiec »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 12:48 PM »
DO NOT PLAY PORTAL 2 UNTIL YOU PLAY, AND DEFEAT, PORTAL 1. You will gain so much more from the story.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57 PM »
but.. but.. Gabe claims that "Mac is 5 times more stable than windows running games". :o

note: oh, btw Carol have added on Steam. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20 PM »
but.. but.. Gabe claims that "Mac is 5 times more stable than windows running games". :o

That could be because there is less diverse Mac hardware supported/available. :-\

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 11:50 PM »

That could be because there is less diverse Mac hardware supported/available. :-\

well, the lack of diversity in Mac hardware is obviously obvious and big Gabe is milking it all he can by being sensational.. basically Valve/Steam have identified a big void in Mac gaming and are trying to fill it with their "cross-platform" games.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 06:59 AM »

note: oh, btw Carol have added on Steam. :)

Seems pretty stable on my system - the only time I have probs is if I accidentally press the windows key.

Lanux what's your name on Steam - I don't seem to have received an invite or have you listed?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59 AM »

well, the lack of diversity in Mac hardware is obviously obvious and big Gabe is milking it all he can by being sensational.. basically Valve/Steam have identified a big void in Mac gaming and are trying to fill it with their "cross-platform" games.

Well...it's good marketing strategy at any rate. Playing suck-up to the Appleistas (by way of a token nod to the Mac's innate superiority and some low key Windows bashing) is almost a requirement if your product is cross-platform and you want to sell it to that crowd.

Gotta be some logical reason why Mac users often pay more and have to put up with so much nonsense, right?

;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Seems pretty stable on my system - the only time I have probs is if I accidentally press the windows key.
-Carol Haynes (May 14, 2011, 06:59 AM)

the windows key problem can be easily fixed. use something like WinKey Killer, the original website is no more but the program can be found here.

Lanux what's your name on Steam - I don't seem to have received an invite or have you listed?

no worries, you've already added me, this is me.. :)
Spoiler
Steam_friends_15_05_2011_001.png

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Well...it's good marketing strategy at any rate. Playing suck-up to the Appleistas (by way of a token nod to the Mac's innate superiority and some low key Windows bashing) is almost a requirement if your product is cross-platform and you want to sell it to that crowd.

Gotta be some logical reason why Mac users often pay more and have to put up with so much nonsense, right?

;D

yup, what Apple has is a very exquisite salesmanship skills. something that makes their customers go "Ooh La La" every time they're throwing their money at Apple.. ;D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08 AM »

the windows key problem can be easily fixed. use something like WinKey Killer, the original website is no more but the program can be found here.

no worries, you've already added me, this is me.. :)

LOL - can't imagine why I didn't guess that!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Hey Lanux, how did you get your Steam friend's list to look like Firefox?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I actually have already finished Portal (1) ;)
That's why I'm really curious about Portal2!

It does run decently in the macbook, even though not as well as it did run in my windows machine (which was supposed to be slower than the mac). Not wanting to fuel the mac vs windows, but I've already read a few times that if you install windows on the mac, the game will actually run faster than in OSX ;). (from what I understand, this happens because the windows version uses direct3d whereas the OSX version uses openGL).

I'm now working on getting some free space to run this on windows :P

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52 AM »
(from what I understand, this happens because the windows version uses direct3d whereas the OSX version uses openGL).

But wait, some people on various forums, including this one, tell me that open standards like "OpenGL" are much better for everyone? Are you saying that DirectX is actually faster than an open competitor?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:53 AM by Josh »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28 AM »
DirectX is usually faster than OpenGL because most hardware manufacturers only develop decently optimized drivers for DirectX and not (or at least much less optimized) for OpenGL, as most games support/expect/require DirectX. And .NET graphics' subsystem is optimized for DirectX as well (WPF only shines/performs well on video chips with Direct9c+ hardware support with the correct drivers installed).

Open standards are indeed better because they are open, not technically better in all cases. :-\

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Not to sidetrack this thread, but why has OpenGL never really seen wide adoption? I remember seeing OpenGL as a driver option when playing duke nukem 3d back in the early 90s. It is available for Windows, you can use it. Is this a case of the open product not offering what the proprietary systems can?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 11:38 AM »
It has wide adoption, but not in all fields. When it comes to professional games on consoles and the PC, there are a bunch of reasons why DirectX eventually won the upper hand, and then some more like better tools for DirectX and the fact that DirectX is not as closed as it may seem, as newer specifications are always developed in close association with hardware makers, who know exactly what developers demand from new technologies.

The Wikipedia also has another relevant articlew.