topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: eType - nice free auto spell checker word suggestion (and basic translation)  (Read 12680 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thought this was quite nice for an on-the-fly spell-checker, thesaurus, translator too.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting mix of features.  But it doesn't do text (including phrase) expansion, or text correction, does it?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm, no. it isn't fantastic, i just thought it was good for a free tool (maybe there are better ones).

i use TinySpell http://tinyspell.numerit.com/ for everyday use. it isn't free, but it's pretty cheap. best spell checker/correctrion tool i've tried that works in all programs.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Can i make a plug for my fspell farr plugin?

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21399.0

Screenshot - 2_12_2011 , 5_04_17 PM.png

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i like FarSpell (and everything related to FARR) but it's a different kind of tool as it doesn't allow for automatic on-the-fly correction as you are typing. the whole point of TinySpell and eType is that you don't have to move away from the text you are typing.

FarSpell is something to use occasionally, if you aren't too bad at spelling or if you need more detailed solutions. for my own use, i need something that tells me immediately that i'm an idiot for spelling something wrong in almost every sentence i type.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i just thought it was good for a free tool (maybe there are better ones).

I can't think of any free ones, unless you count free-for-personal-use PhraseExpress and can set it to work that way.

i use TinySpell http://tinyspell.numerit.com/ for everyday use. it isn't free, but it's pretty cheap. best spell checker/correctrion tool i've tried that works in all programs.

I keep hearing about this but haven't tried it...  Otherwise, as donationware rather than simply free, the S in mouser's CHS is Spell, but then you have to do a clipboard dance.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auspex will do that, but again, you'd have to pre-load it with corrections. The advantage there is that it supports regex, which means you can get it to detect all sorts of weird variations of the same word.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that would be useful if the dictionary was already done, ready to load. probably something that a user would eventually create and "donate" for everyone else to use.

maybe there's an open source dictionary file that could be used somehow?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There is - I have one here, which could be very easily imported.

I think the thing that would set us apart would be to encompass ALL the common misspellings..

i.e. not just tomorow corrected to tomorrow, but also tommorow and tommorrow

This is easily done using regex:
to{1,2}mor{1,2}ow -> tomorrow
Corrects: tomorow, tommorow, tommorrow -> tomorrow

And the more I look at the word "tomorrow" the stranger it looks...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i see. so, i assume it would take quite a lot of time to create all the regex variations for the most common words - or maybe not; i don't know how large the list is.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would be a bit of a "labou?r" of love  :Thmbsup: - but then again, probably picking the 100 most commonly misspelled words would be 90% of it.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In one place I see...

Is eType free?

Yes, eType is completely free to download and use. There are no trial periods or extra cost upgrades and no future purchase will be required.
-FAQ

...while elsewhere...

2. License and Access
eType grants you with an access and permission to make personal use of the Services or Website (the “Access”) and not to modify it, or any portion of it. This Access does not include any resale or commercial use of any of the Services or Website or its contents; any derivative use of any of the Services or its contents; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. Any of the Services or any portion thereof may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose.
-Licence agreement

So how is it?