topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Ideas for Special Events?  (Read 50804 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So we are going to have a fundraiser/celebration for DonationCoder.com in the month of March 2011.  The last fundraiser was 2 years ago.

My question is, can we think of any special events or things we could do to make it funner for existing members, and for new visitors who haven't heard of us?

I know giveaways are always popular, but my preference would be things that reflect more the spirit of the site, and are more inviting of long-term participation by new people, etc.  Yes we want donations during the fundraiser, but we'd also like to welcome our arms to new coders and new forum participants, etc.

Any ideas?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some dangerous ideas:
  • Could we pull together enough DC coders to do a Coding-Snack-A-Day throughout all of march?
  • Could we pull together enough DC mini-review writers to do a mini-review-a-day throughout all of march?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fine idea!

Could we pull together enough DC coders to do a Coding-Snack-A-Day throughout all of march?

I'd be willing (and hopefully: able 8)) to help out there

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another unusual idea might be to make one blog post per day about another website that has been kind to DC (by writing a review of one of our programs, etc.), just a way of saying thank you to the great websites out there that help indie coders.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I will contribute to both the review-a-day and the coding snack.

I had a few ideas:

1. "Who gives a buck about DC?" whereby every member vows to donate at least $1, and earns a badge.

2. Sponsor a DC-er to do something crazy. Zany members offer to maybe get photographed dressed as Cody in the mall, or go to work in a silly hat or have a cody "tattoo" if a certain fundraiser target is met.

And one general suggestion:
An ".... of the month" round-up. This can be purely subjective, but a small round-up of the forum's activity would interest me greatly. For example: "Topic of the Month" ~ "Rant of the Month" ~ "New Software Release of the Month" ~ etc.

My favourite: "Member of the Month" to celebtrate a DC-er who's been particularly helpful, or released something really good, or even ironically celebrate someone who just got on everybody's nerves... ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1. "Who gives a buck about DC?" whereby every member vows to donate at least $1, and earns a badge

I think your idea of encouraging everyone to donate (at least) 1 dollar could be the most important basic idea.  As we've often discussed, the problem for sites like ours that depend on optional donations, is that people cannot get past that initial stage of resistance that prevents them from donating.  I don't think the issue is the money -- i think it's the work involved, and the general unwillingness to perform a financial transaction unless they have to.

If we could just find a way to get people to take the leap of faith to make a donation, regardless of the amount, i think it would be so healthy for the site, but also bring many people in from the shadows who would enjoy being part of something and enjoy being one of the people that actively support the site.

But getting people to make that leap is hard.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
or even ironically celebrate someone who just got on everybody's nerves... ;)
Now who could that be? :huh:
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some dangerous ideas:
  • Could we pull together enough DC coders to do a Coding-Snack-A-Day throughout all of march?

Could we get pledges per the NANY event (coding snacks, whatever) ... and people pledge support to the ideas?

i.e. you have pledge 1...n ... and if someone likes pledge 1, they pledge a certain amount towards its completion to go to DoCo.

A sort of code-a-thon.

Just an idea...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like it. Where do I pledge?

Another idea: can we do some sort of auction for goods or services? I'd be in for that.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Indian freelancers (non-credit card holders) are getting screwed by both paypal and government. This is the last month for me to buy,donate anything online using paypal stored money (unless i get credit card which is not possible because i'm doing freelancing). So instead of next month, i'll consider making donation this month. :) Keeping problems aside, is there anything i can do from graphics side ?

I mean designing stamps, envelopes, mug or ipad skin design for DC shop on cafepress or zazzle ? That is also one good way of raising funds. I don't see any zazzle store, mouser can you create one ? I'm sure existing cody logo and graphics can be used on some seasonal items for sale at zazzle.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't see any zazzle store, mouser can you create one ?

we could create a zazzle store but we already have a cafepress store.  perhaps some high markup items on that would be an alternate way of accepting donations.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about a badge for donating X amount;

$1-10 gets you Badge (A)
$11-20 Badge (B)
$21-30 Badge (C) and so on.

--------

The Zazzle store sounds like a good idea, especially with thier shipping times being 1/2 that of CafePress (Been waiting 2 week for my NANY Mug, which apprently shipped 15 days ago...)

------------------------

Also, how about creating a special user rank for people who donate certain amounts (Like atm we have "Supporting Member" and such) you could have something to show the level they have donated.

------------------------

I think the visual representation bar is a must...especially if you can link it so its totally live and we can see it going up every moment!

------------------------

Also...I think there should be something like "If We Raise $10000 During the fundraiser, Mouser will strip to his underwear and run through the streets screming 'I LOVE CODY, CODY IS THE BIRD GOD'" (This has to be recorded and uploaded to the website for all to see as proof!)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, how about creating a special user rank for people who donate certain amounts (Like atm we have "Supporting Member" and such) you could have something to show the level they have donated.

The Supporting Member label/rank is subtle, and I think better for it. Making too much of a hub-bub about who donated what tends to hamper the relaxed feel of a place.

Also...I think there should be something like "If We Raise $10000 During the fundraiser, Mouser will strip to his underwear and run through the streets screming 'I LOVE CODY, CODY IS THE BIRD GOD'" (This has to be recorded and uploaded to the website for all to see as proof!)

Should probably limit that to something that would leave the man with at least a shred of dignity... :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the visual representation bar is a must...especially if you can link it so its totally live and we can see it going up every moment!

We used the Cody Fever Donation Amount Thermometer which shows the progress towards our donation goal last year and it was a huge hit, and we will use it again.

As for the suggestions about dif badges or status based on donation amount, we have a longstanding policy not to do anything that favors or gives status based on the amount you donate.  Everyone who donates is equally appreciated (some people have more money to spare than others).

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... but can I still get a badge for giving a buck?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about donation special episode from 'head in the clouds' crew to encourage donation ?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... but can I still get a badge for giving a buck?

Ah, you want an extra badge :) apparently the NANY badge you currently have isn't enough :o

mouser could introduce a new badge like the current NANY badge: Counting the number of fund-raisers you participated in?
That would require this event to become at least yearly, ofcourse :up:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about donation special episode from 'head in the clouds' crew to encourage donation ?

The boys will definitely be involved! Thank you for mentioning it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd be willing to split the proceeds from people buying my autographed pics at $10 a pop:

Me

Seriously though, most sites I'm on don't even let you put a url in the sig. Makes it tough to promote stuff(which is generally the idea.)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Me

You could have gotten a better shave that mornin' :huh:

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love the idea of a fundraiser.

I pledge to create one blog post per day during March. But which blog shall it be: mine or more a forum post turned blog entry on blog.dc.com?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd be willing to split the proceeds from people buying my autographed pics at $10 a pop:

Me

Judging by the hat, I assume that's actually worstje?  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Me

You could have gotten a better shave that mornin' :huh:

There's an idea! I'll let a babe shave me with one of them Gillette Fusion razors for $100?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This has to be recorded and uploaded to the website for all to see as proof!

I'd donate a significant sum to avoid seeing that!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
my autographed pics

You pogoniate devil, you!