topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?  (Read 42112 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why is my computer hiccuping every few seconds?
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15 AM »
On another performance note that may apply.
I've found my computer to perform more smoothly and better response time with letting MS handle the visual effects. I've turned some off and there was a lag for response time on most everything.

But when I reset it to windows choosing what's best, it, W7, performed better.
Could be in my mind's eye but I'm more pleased with it's performance.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 11:58 AM »
40hz: probably just to get a robust(!) and relatively fast datastore for free - dunno if they use any relational stuff or complicated queries (I would think not). Better alternatives, pray do tell! SQLite is the first thing I'd consider if I needed a compact file-based database.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59 PM »
^Perhaps I should have phrased my comment better. By better choices I meant no database at all rather than a different one. I'll agree that, within its intended scope of use, SQLite is probably as good as it gets right now.

But what exactly is it they're storing that actually needs a database? Favorites? Cookies? Browsing history? How big a performance gain would that provide no matter how big a list you had?

Dunno. Seems like they're swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Unless they wanted to hold user data in a place that would be relatively easy for something on the server-side to query. Hence my original question: What's it really there for?

:)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 02:16 PM »
But what exactly is it they're storing that actually needs a database? Favorites? Cookies? Browsing history?
Correct, they build a search index as big as all words that where on all pages you viewed. But then they don't know how to find anything back in that pile... sort of. (not true)

Just open a new tab in FF, and start typing (in the 'address' field, not the search field) some words that where in URL's or pages you visited recently with FF. The suggestions are always pretty good, and saved my ass a few times, because I couldn't remember what site some info was on, but FF could! :up:

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Yes, awesomebar/places was the reason for going sqlite. Old dat/html something format was worse! Long lists are not fast and manageable because they are not in sqlite format. You can query all day long in library via commands, there is an extension for this I think, but how many do that? Is 1 out of 1000 interested in Places Query Syntax ? Database can do a lot more than what most see. Sqlite might be overkill if you know all "database" features but is it not almost a standard solution for programmers when they need more than "lists"? Many programs use it or that is my impression.

If sqlite is sqlite regardless of where it is used how to implement must mean a lot. Long time ago I read a database expert freaking out about how Firefox handled places. Make one change and it is like whole database must be reindexed/updated. Why I suffered managing 1000s of bookmarks on old 3.0 version. Hd, whole computer was almost freezing for minutes when you did simple copy/paste functions in bookmark sidebar. That was also powered by sqlite.

History/Places change quite a bit in 4 btw Places got Async Expiration
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:37 PM by Bamse »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Firefox's "awesomebar" is definitely a nice addition.  But I don't use it because i can't control it at all.  For example, let's say I entered an address and I mispelled it, but pressed enter anyway.  Well, I'd like to remove that entry from firerfox's "memory".  Also, I may want to remove other addresses from there selectively.  There's no way to go in there and start messing around with everything.  So i don't use it for that reason.  I rely on Linkman for bookmarking and finding addresses I want.

It's just like the Outlook address history which I have cursed pretty thoroughly in a thread here.  You can't go in the place where all those addresses are stored and mess around.  Oh man, don't even remind me.  I absolutely HATE the way outlook/exchange handles contacts, addresses, displayed names, cc, ...basically anything that has to do with keeping the contacts inside the program.  Their implementation is horrific.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56 PM »
You can just press DEL for the entry you want to ignore/delete. Or use Library tool. But yes they should extend the already awesome bar. Not so sure about search features, there are extensions for this already, but make it more clear how powerful it actually is. Perhaps add a rollover button or 2, giving access to queries/filters (older than 20 days, only show .com for example) Let users tinker with queries (made in library, can already save search queries/results) without making it too complicated. They could start with adding a "how many results to show" in Options. Some might prefer 25 results instead of default 12 or what it is.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07 PM »
At Outertech we've investigated Firefox performance problems several times and in 90% of the cases they were related to SQLite. The number of transactions Firefox is sending to the SQLite handler is simply unbelievable. Even more so if the browser is idle. It starts all kinds of database "optimizations" which cause constant disk activity. This was the reason why we have decided to invest time to create Chrome and Opera Addons for Linkman (which have been released today).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38 PM »
At Outertech we've investigated Firefox performance problems several times and in 90% of the cases they were related to SQLite. The number of transactions Firefox is sending to the SQLite handler is simply unbelievable. Even more so if the browser is idle. It starts all kinds of database "optimizations" which cause constant disk activity. This was the reason why we have decided to invest time to create Chrome and Opera Addons for Linkman (which have been released today).
-Outertech Support (March 07, 2011, 12:07 PM)
Very nice.  Thanks for continuing to improve the program.