topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AutoFocus (software) (Windows only)  (Read 11050 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AutoFocus (software) (Windows only)
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Note: Have not tested.

Autofocus_thumb.png

The application emulates a traditional notebook paper, enabling user to jot down tasks details and streamline to-dos which are to be performed. The developer worked more on setting user’s mood right and focus straight on task which has to be performed in future. Unlike other time management software, it requires nothing except a list of tasks to be specified. According to the developer, it will significantly improve the volume of work in short timelines while keep your focus on tasks which are important.

Source

Download Link

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AutoFocus (software) (Windows only)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Thanks Paul, it looks nice :)

I've downloaded it - I'll report back if I manage to install and if I actually use it :-\
Probably should reread Forsters instructions for the AutoFocus "method" - dont think he's been active on his blog for a while...
I dont know which of these links if more recent (one is dated 2009 - the other has month (Jan.16) but no year... I think the 2009 one is the most recent)
http://www.markforst...et/autofocus-system/
http://www.markforst...r-autofocus-v-4.html
Tom

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Downloaded, ran... removed again.

Marvellous idea, but unless I can change that font, it's a no-go for me.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32 AM »
I don't see what the big deal is with this app.  Is the "notebook-like" interface supposed to make you focus more on the task at hand?  WTH?  Something like this could be coded in next to no time using standard Win32 controls.  In fact, I'm sure it's been done a hundred times over.

For my own ToDo list, I use: http://todotxt.com

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is with this app.  Is the "notebook-like" interface supposed to make you focus more on the task at hand?  WTH?  Something like this could be coded in next to no time using standard Win32 controls.  In fact, I'm sure it's been done a hundred times over.

It's based on Mark Foster's AutoFocus 'method' - which I tried for a little - but not long enough to praise it or knock it.
It's a way of intuitively prioritising stuff, particularly on a long todo list.

Probably best read one of the two links I posted above if you want to find out about it. Start here:
http://www.markforst...r-autofocus-v-4.html

Actually I just saw there's a very good PDF linked at the bottom of that page - if you use the mouse wheel to scroll through it, it shows an animated todo list in practice:
http://autofocus.cc/...ic/data/af4-demo.pdf
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is with this app.  Is the "notebook-like" interface supposed to make you focus more on the task at hand?  WTH?  Something like this could be coded in next to no time using standard Win32 controls.  In fact, I'm sure it's been done a hundred times over.

The AutoFocus' main appeal is not so much the notebook-like interface system as it's "endless" linear downwards writing system.

The software isn't able to mimic it's seamless-ness because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts but you can see a glimpse of this in the software's one unique option when you right click and there's an option to "finish the task and copy it at the end".

Think of it like any endless toilet one pane notetaker combined with the pomodoro technique minus a time watch where if you've done a task even if you haven't done it yet completely you skip/complete the task and then copy it to the end and skip to the next unchecked task.

The pages are merely a constraint to replace the time watch. Again you can see hints of it in the other semi-unique option where if you hotkey to the first page, it hotkeys you first to the first page w/ unfinished tasks rather than the immediate first page.

Also variations of this depend on which version of AutoFocus you are implementing and personally it doesn't work that well for me too but it is one of the few software that integrates a truer system of AutoFocus into it's design. (I'm also particularly biased to the page flipping animation as I think it's a critical component of AutoFocus as it's intended to be a notebook only system.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:00 PM by Paul Keith »

BMT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:46 AM »

Hi timns, I'm one of the developers of the Autofocus application and I'd like to thank you for this hint. We've added a setting for fonts and an upgrade will be published in the following days.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56 AM »

Hi timns, I'm one of the developers of the Autofocus application and I'd like to thank you for this hint. We've added a setting for fonts and an upgrade will be published in the following days.

Welcome to DC. Please post a thread and let me know when it's available and I'll try it again. Thanks  :Thmbsup:

BMT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:07 AM »

The AutoFocus' main appeal is not so much the notebook-like interface system as it's "endless" linear downwards writing system.

The software isn't able to mimic it's seamless-ness because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts but you can see a glimpse of this in the software's one unique option when you right click and there's an option to "finish the task and copy it at the end".

Think of it like any endless toilet one pane notetaker combined with the pomodoro technique minus a time watch where if you've done a task even if you haven't done it yet completely you skip/complete the task and then copy it to the end and skip to the next unchecked task.

The pages are merely a constraint to replace the time watch. Again you can see hints of it in the other semi-unique option where if you hotkey to the first page, it hotkeys you first to the first page w/ unfinished tasks rather than the immediate first page.

Also variations of this depend on which version of AutoFocus you are implementing and personally it doesn't work that well for me too but it is one of the few software that integrates a truer system of AutoFocus into it's design. (I'm also particularly biased to the page flipping animation as I think it's a critical component of AutoFocus as it's intended to be a notebook only system.)

Hi skwire & Paul
You're right - the essence of the Autofocus application is not in the program itself, it's in the time management system, developed by Mark Forster. Approx. one month ago we created also the Do It Tomorrow application which is more sophisticated and feature-full. On the other hand, it lacks the simplicity of the Autofocus.

The Autofocus is based on WPF/.NET 4.0 and yes, we've made it in a much shorter time than Do It Tomorrow. From the developer's perspective, the transition effects are perhaps one of the interesting points - we use Transitional component (http://transitionals.codeplex.com/) and we added a reverse PageTransition routine, which will be very likely published on the CodeProject in the following weeks.

We have plans to develop the Autofocus application further, of course. We wanted to give people core functionalities in v1.0 and release the application as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your comments, they are very valuable for us.

BMT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08 AM »

Welcome to DC. Please post a thread and let me know when it's available and I'll try it again. Thanks  :Thmbsup:

Thanks, timns. I'll surely post a short note here, when the new version will be published.  :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04 PM »
I just had a go with Autofocus' big brother, "Do It Tomorrow 3" - it's very pretty and I'm running the trial for the next couple of weeks.

If all goes well, I'll post a proper review here on DC. So far, I like the mechanism of working with the lists. I bumped into a few niggles, but the guys seem responsive on the support forum.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:35 AM »
Probably should reread Forsters instructions for the AutoFocus "method" - dont think he's been active on his blog for a while...

turns out he has been active, but only in his forum.
AutoFocus has evolved into SuperFocus - but he hasnt 'launched' it yet. Here's a link to the second revision - note he's currently testing a third revision.
(I'll probably wait till he reports how he gets on with that new version SuperFocus v. 3)
Tom