topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auspex Suggestions  (Read 21322 times)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auspex Suggestions
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:36 AM »
1) that the pop-up with suggestions follows the cursor or the caret, at present it is at top left of the open text window
2) minimize and maximize...!

I've been thinking about the word lists which are becoming very long and about what would be the best way to arrange them (if they should be arranged) :
  • tree with folders ?
  • alphabetical folders ?
  • tabs ?

...Be prepared...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:33 PM by timns »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Re: Auspex
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:32 PM »
1) that the pop-up with suggestions follows the cursor or the caret, at present it is at top left of the open text window
Yes, good one. What happens at the moment is that I ask Windows where it thinks the current cursor position is. Some applications are a lot better than others at reporting this. For instamce, as I write this, the pop-up is appearing just below and to the right of my cursor, which is pretty nice. Same for notepad++. But when I switch to Thunderbird, the pop-up appears more-or-less at the top of the composition window. I'll see what can be done.

2) minimize and maximize...!
Oh yes, and what's this all about then?

I've been thinking about the word lists which are becoming very long and about what would be the best way to arrange them (if they should be arranged) :
  • tree with folders ?
  • alphabetical folders ?
  • tabs ?
Well you can create folders in the tree already (right click) and drag items in there. Some are also created automatically, for instance completions, and also imported items. But I have the feeling you want more ... ?  :)

If you look in the "Clean Up" menu item, you'll see a reasonably powerful set of filters that you can use to delete items. At some point soon you'll also be able to use filters to move items into sub-folders.

...Be prepared...  ;)
dib dib dib!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auspex Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45 PM »
I'm new to Auspex and haven't read through all the threads, so apologies if these have been mentioned before.

1) Auspex can currently be set with the shorthand case sensitive or not.  If it's set to not, then if you define

atm = at the moment

all of atm, ATM, AtM, aTm etc. should trigger "at the moment."  Does it make sense to add a "smart capitalisation" feature such that short form "Atm" gives "At the moment," i.e., sentence case with initial letter capitalised for starting a sentence, while all other short forms deliver all lower case?

2) Security: I understand you can define programs for Auspex to ignore by their executables.  Does it make sense to add Window Title, Window Handle and Window Class to that?  I admit I don't understand the last two, but what I'm looking for is a better way of deciding between windows. This is because I use MemPad freeware two-pane organiser by Horst Schaeffer, http://home.mnet-onl...de/horst.muc/win.htm and some of the files are encrypted. When I want to open them, MemPad pops up a new window to ask for the password. This window has different details from the main program. I would want to stop Auspex popping up suggestions over the *password window*, but use it normally in the note panes once the file is open. If I have to ban MemPad.exe, I can't use Auspex at all in MemPad. Same with KeePass, though not so likely to need Auspex inside KeePass.

3) May be a bug; I'm composing this post in NoteTab Pro and wanted to use Esc.  It doesn't work with Auspex loaded, and I think I've seen a few other glitches too, including what looks like odd keys being sent and failures of the short forms to trigger.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27 PM »
@rjbull - all useful comments, thank you.

I'll add these three items to the redmine tracker so we don't forget about them.

Certainly I can try to extend the Ignore feature to be on a per window basis quite quickly... that's the first one I'll look at.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Very nice work. What do you think about making "Minimize to tray on close" a default? For most programs, I hate when they do that, but for keyboard replacement programs, I think it is standard and expected. (Same to some extent for "Run when Windows starts")

EDIT: I should have said typing replacement programs.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:22 PM by daddydave »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Very nice work. What do you think about making "Minimize to tray on close" a default? For most programs, I hate when they do that, but for keyboard replacement programs, I think it is standard and expected. (Same to some extent for "Run when Windows starts")

Probably not a bad idea actually. At least maybe after the first use - where I'd like to try to encourage people to set up a couple of test Replacements, so they get the feel.

Thank you!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Hm, IMHO you already have quite a few issues on Redmine that need to be taken care of, before new features should be added :-[

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Hm, IMHO you already have quite a few issues on Redmine that need to be taken care of, before new features should be added :-[

That's not how I roll  :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:42 PM »
And it's not rock steady  ;)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:52 PM »
And it's not rock steady  ;)
-cranioscopical (January 20, 2011, 04:42 PM)

Ok ok ok ok  :P

Of course I shall be addressing bugs, but I do want to keep new features coming along too, just to keep you all excited  8)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I do want to keep new features coming along too, just to keep you all excited  8)

Good man!

I must admit to having been breathless when I saw that another step had been taken in the wizard. Probably due to the long sigh when I found that you travel, still, on that longest journey.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I do want to keep new features coming along too, just to keep you all excited  8)

Good man!

I must admit to having been breathless when I saw that another step had been taken in the wizard. Probably due to the long sigh when I found that you travel, still, on that longest journey.

-cranioscopical (January 20, 2011, 05:33 PM)

To quote Gandalf: "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:22 PM »

Good man!

-cranioscopical (January 20, 2011, 05:33 PM)

To quote Gandalf: "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

That rings a bell; reminds me of something eye Sauron TV.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29 PM »

-cranioscopical (January 20, 2011, 09:22 PM)

omg you literally just gave me a wheezing fit. Shouldn't you be fitted with a health warning?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40 AM »
-cranioscopical (January 20, 2011, 09:22 PM)

classic.

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43 AM »
A couple of issues that I encountered:

1. auto-correct of com with compatibility messed with my entering URLs!

2. on my win 7 64 bit system, Auspex notably slows down shutdown

thanks

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24 PM »
A couple of issues that I encountered:

1. auto-correct of com with compatibility messed with my entering URLs!

2. on my win 7 64 bit system, Auspex notably slows down shutdown

1. Good one - I can look at maybe preventing completions being triggered if they match certain patterns (e.g. url's and email addresses)

For now, you could increase the length of the completion trigger from 3 to 4:

hank.jpgAuspex Suggestions

But having just tinkered with the word 'completion' and FireFox, I'm not totally sure what may be happening to you. Can you

a) Install 1.2.2.98
b) Explain a bit more please?

2. That's a new one. When Auspex closes, it simply writes a small xml file to your appdata folder and slips away. I can add a bit of logging if you would not mind running a debug version for me.

griffo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 02:30 AM »
if location of suggestions is not where cursor is, can you allow permanent customisable location for a particular program?

when a phrase is suggested, can you allow selecting part of the suggested phrase with short-cut keys? - ie. manually select part of the first word of the suggested word OR phrase, or manually select the first few words of the suggested phrase.

finally, if all i have is one of these lone standard numpad keyboards - http://www.google.co...amp;hl=en&tab=wi
how would i go about setting up keyboard chording with one of these keyboards?
basically i'd like to be able to learn chording patterns as the program learns frequently typed phrases - perhaps with http://en.wikipedia....iki/Telephone_keypad as a base, with dead keys/modifiers being the surrounding keys as well as numpad number keys acting as learnable chords for frequently typed words.

apologies if i've posted in the wrong place, i've been searching all day for a program (even non-free versions) and yours is the closest i could find. i have more suggestions - should this be the right place to post...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:26 AM by griffo »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Sorry for the slow response - I've been off DC for a while.

First up, there will be a new Auspex this weekend. I'll read and absorb your comments and see if anything can be done.