A Password Generator with some Friendly FeaturesRun the program directly from this link
(links to signed Java Web Start application)
... and it's only 67k!
|Application Name||timns Friendly Password Generator|
|Short Description||Configurable Random Password Generator|
|Supported OSes||Anything that can run Java|
|Download Link||Friendly Password Generator|
This is another random password generator, but with a couple of features which I personally find useful. I hope you guys do too.Features
- Very random, very mixed, and thus very secure, passwords
- User-definable password length
- User-definable password content (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, punctuation)
- Creates as many passwords as you need
- the generator tries to find passwords which do not contain any characters which may appear ambiguous. Examples of such characters include (but are not limited to) O & 0, 1 & l, etc.Memorability
- the friendly part of the program has a basic understanding of how we read words. The generator will try to create sequences of letters and numbers that can be read and pronounced similarly to real words, and thus perhaps are more memorable. They could be used as is, or perhaps provide the seed of an idea for you to invent your own super-safe password.timns Friendly Password GeneratorInclude & Exclude
- you can suggest to the generator that it should avoid, or prefer, any characters you wish. Simply key them into the text boxes.
Include characters may or may not appear
in your password, but will crop up more frequently than other characters.
Excluded characters will NOT appear in your password. This is very useful if you find certain password characters confusing, hard to remember or inconvenient on your keyboard layout.Key words
- I believe this is a somewhat unique feature (no doubt someone will tell me I'm wrong here). If you specify a word in this field, the generator will create a unique password according to all the rules, same as usual. But - the password will be reproducible any time you run this program, if you use the same key word and same settings. You can therefore create passwords which are utterly unique, and not have to remember them or write them down. As long as you can remember your key word, you can always recover your password. It is not stored anywhere, so is totally secure.
For example, you can use this feature when signing up to a new site that requires a login. Simply use the site's name as your key word. You will get a password that is unique to you for that site, which can be recovered any time in the future if you forget it.In addition, even if by some weird coincidence you happen to use the same key word as another person, you will still get completely different passwords to each other.Copy and Copy Friendly
- the Copy button puts the password into your clipboard ready for use.
Copy Friendly spells out your password so there can be no confusion as to which characters have been used. I personally use this a lot when handing out passwords on our servers.
Here's an example:
3 number three
s lowercase s
j lowercase j
4 number four
> right angle bracket
d lowercase d
H uppercase H
Profiles may be useful, so that you can generate different types of passwords without fiddling with all the checkboxes and text boxes.Screenshotstimns Friendly Password GeneratorUsageInstallation
No installation required - the program is launched via Java webstart. Just click the link to run.Using the Application
Launch, and choose your options. Roll the mouse over each checkbox and button to learn a little more about its function.Uninstallation
Nothing to uninstall.Known Issues
None that I am aware of.