topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB Safely Remove 4.4 final released * CHANGE OF LICENSE POLICY *  (Read 9079 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB Safely Remove 4.4 final is available now. We have improved user interface, made its icon more nicer, restored Win2000 compatibility and fixed some other bugs. Besides we added one important and frequently requested feature: the ability to power off USB drives after their stopping in Vista and Windows 7. Download the version 4.4 right now or read further about new features.

Note! The license policy for USB Safely Remove has changed since this version. The license will include one or two years of upgrade subscription. However user can still use the program for lifetime and use one license for every computer you own. Of course this change doesn't affect those who already purchased the license with lifetime upgrades. For a limited time licenses with lifetime upgrades are still available to sell. See new pricing on the order page.

Here the SafelyRemove people are giving fair warning (the heads-up came by e-mail)* and still offering true lifetime licenses for a limited time: kudos to them for honourable behaviour.  Compare Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile? for user irritation on a poorly-handled change of license policy. 

>>Edit 2010-12-27
* Apologies.  It didn't come by e-mail.  USBSR popped up its own message saying a new version was available, did I want to go to the Web site.  So I did.
<<Edit

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:51 AM by rjbull »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB Safely Remove 4.4 final released * CHANGE OF LICENSE POLICY *
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:27 PM »
the lifetime key is $45 (plus VAT = $56)
for a feature that of course will be standard in Win 8...  :-\
-well, aught to be!
Anyway, you're right; nice service.

Actually, I came to tell that Zentimo is on offer until new-year:

2010-12-27_012115.GIF
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:30 PM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Yoiks! I think their asking price is a bit unrealistic considering the many low cost and free alternatives out there. Still, they deserve to be acknowledged (as 'rj' noted) for their candor regarding license term changes. 
:)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:09 AM »
Well, they're liars. Before purchasing the lifetime license two years ago, I asked them if it truly means "for life" and if I won't have to pay an update price for a major new version or a "pro" version. Of course no. Never. Life means for life.

Updates have been very slow with USB Safely Remove. And now there's "Zentimo", which is kinda the pro version of "USB Safely Remove". The developer say it like this: USBSR won't be getting new features, it'll be kept simple. For those who want new features, buy Zentimo.

If they can't afford lifetime licenses anymore, then do it like Slysoft, or Admuncher... new licenses are limited, but the existing ones stay the same.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Well, they're liars. Before purchasing the lifetime license two years ago, I asked them if it truly means "for life" and if I won't have to pay an update price for a major new version or a "pro" version. Of course no. Never. Life means for life.
Repeating part of their license change notice:
this change doesn't affect those who already purchased the license with lifetime upgrades
I bought a lifetime license first off, and as I read the above, they're honouring it.  The personal lifetime license still says lifetime upgrades.  I agree with 40hz that such a license is now expensive, probably too expensive now. I see there's no lifetime license for commercial use at all, though.

Updates have been very slow with USB Safely Remove. And now there's "Zentimo", which is kinda the pro version of "USB Safely Remove". The developer say it like this: USBSR won't be getting new features, it'll be kept simple. For those who want new features, buy Zentimo.
I briefly looked at the features of Zentimo, and decided that it offered more than I need at present, so for now I'm staying with USBSR.  However, I do have a free key for Zentimo v1.0 from one of their free give-aways; they're quite keen on those  :)

If they can't afford lifetime licenses anymore, then do it like Slysoft, or Admuncher... new licenses are limited, but the existing ones stay the same.
As I read it, that's what they're doing.  Maybe I'd better tell them about this thread.

mauzer_tim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm pleased to see here a discussion about our software and its license policy :)

First of all let me explain why we changed our license policy. Lifetime license policy is great for a products with rare upgrades or with a short life. However if a product lives 3 years and is going to be under development more the lifetime policy will just ruin a business because support costs grows while the revenue stays the same, especially for our low cost utility product. You can say - that's your business problems and they do not affect me in no way. You'll be absolutely right, but on the other side if we are out of business you will not get neither upgrades nor support for the program. Would you love having a lifetime license for a non-supported product?

Therefore we are trying to break off with lifetime licenses - either we will stop selling them or we will just sell them for a much expensive price. But as I wrote in the blog all those who purchased license with LIFETIME upgrades will get upgrades for a life of the program (of course not yours and not mine life) since we respect our customers and without them we never been where we are now.

And I'll answer the questions you have regarding this.

That's everything correct except that we never promised free updates to "PRO" versions of USB Safely Remove (actually two years ago we were not able to know that there will be any pro versions like Zentimo) as well as we never promised that purchasers of a license to USB Safely Remove will get an unlimited access to ALL other software we released in future. In all other aspects your lifetime license will be lifetime - you can get any future versions of USB Safely Remove.

Updates have been very slow with USB Safely Remove.
This year we released 2 new versions of USBSafelyRemove, all with bug fixes and with the one major feature - spinning down drives. If you experience any problems with USB Safely Remove or if you wish a new feature contact us and we will try to help you.

And now there's "Zentimo", which is kinda the pro version of "USB Safely Remove". The developer say it like this: USBSR won't be getting new features, it'll be kept simple. For those who want new features, buy Zentimo.
That's not exactly what we said in our post about Zentimo (that also excited so much rumor) at USBSR blog. I'll quote exact saying:
It doesn't mean that we will stop working on USB Safely Remove, it will stay an elegant and lightweight tool for safe hardware removal without hassles and we will develop it in this vein. Our goal is to provide the most appropriate tool for your needs: if you need something simple and easy, consider USB Safely Remove, but if you need more features at your fingertips choose Zentimo!
It simply means that you shouldn't expect in USB Safely Remove say a backup feature since it may over complicate the program for those who installs the program for what it does best of all: safe removal and all related things. However you can expect improvements in safe removal tool, interface improvements, portable version and many others things that conforms with the name of the program and its main purpose.

Everything I can answer is to agree with rjbull: that's what we are doing. All those people who purchased lifetime licenses for USB Safely Remove will get all future upgrades until we develop and sell this product.

P.S.
rjbull, thanks for starting this topic and for notifying me about it.

P.P.S.
I love donationcoder, this is a great place for getting a feedback!

Igor Tkachenko,
  CEO of Crystal Rich,
  http://safelyremove.com,
  http://zentimo.com
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:31 AM by mauzer_tim »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB Safely Remove with lifetime upgrades for $26.94 (-40%) at Bits du Jour:

2012-07-03_130401.gif

http://www.bitsdujou...re/usb-safely-remove

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14 PM »
the lifetime key is $45 (plus VAT = $56) for a feature that of course will be standard in Win 8...  -well, aught to be!

If for some reason you need a license for USBSR, it is on half price-offer right now via this link: http://safelyremove.....htm?sm=dealordinary

1 year: $9.95 or 2 yrs: $14.95
lifetime: $22.45 private usage only / One user / multiple computers / lifetime usage

USB Safely Remove until Feb 15th at 50% Off

But don't expect too much:

March 14, 2013
USB Safely Remove 5.2 released

April 25, 2012
USB Safely Remove 5.1 released

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member