topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Selling off Veign assets  (Read 8441 times)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Selling off Veign assets
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I've decided to sell of all of the applications developed by Veign.

What I'm selling:
- All applications
- All Source code and application assets (graphics, installers and information)
- Cfont Pro's website: http://www.cfontpro.com/

There will be no restrictions once the sale is completed.  You will be able to do what you want with the applications.  Currently they are all donationware but if you want to make them into shareware applications that would be your choice.

I've thought about turning them into Open Source but I don't think that would work with these applications.  Hate to see the 1000's of hours of work go down the drain because my focus has shifted to web development only.

Feel free to ask any questions you want in this thread except price (that will be discussed in private via email).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selling off Veign assets
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Let us know how it goes Chris, you have some good applications there.  :up:
Simplifying and narrowing your focus seems like it could be a good idea.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Thanx.

Cfont Pro, Seeker, Note-It and Pixeur have done really well and are still actively downloaded.  This is a great way for someone to get a huge jump in desktop development with some powerful, and mature, applications that are not bound to an Open Source licensing.  They will be able to set the direction of the applications.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Should have added that I will also include:
- Registry Hacks section on Veign.com
- Application Development code section on Veign.com

Basically, I'm looking to re-focus Veign on web design and development only.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42 PM »
There will be no restrictions once the sale is completed.  You will be able to do what you want with the applications.  Currently they are all donationware but if you want to make them into shareware applications that would be your choice.

I've thought about turning them into Open Source but I don't think that would work with these applications.  Hate to see the 1000's of hours of work go down the drain because my focus has shifted to web development only.

It always pains me to see good programming work become orphanware because the developer walked away. And even worse, see a package suffer a slow lingering death because it got GPL'ed without an interested dev team to take it over.

I applaud you for the way you're doing this. Especially for not going the OSS or GPL route with your product. I think you're 100% correct. It's not the sort of project that fits well with the loose team approach most 'open' projects take.

(And this is coming from somebody like me who often does advocate for GPL and Open Source. Yoiks!!!  ;D)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:45 PM by 40hz »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:50 PM »
My thought was that this route would give a developer a solid foundation to get their name out in the wild.  Since all rights will be transferred Veign can be removed from the code, and all mentions.

I didn't want someone getting involved in an Open Source licensing issue.  This sales comes with 0 restrictions.  Code is theirs to do with what they please.

Hopefully someone will take me up on the offer so the apps don't just die the slow death you mention.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Just wanted to quickly clarify something.  You don't have to be a professional developer.  Selling the rights to someone who needs a 'jump start' for their development career is not a problem.  I don't mind selling this to someone looking to learn and for a push.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Just thought I would give this one last try before retiring all applications.  Its a shame to have spent 1000's of hours developing applications that will now become abandonedware.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:30 AM »
What is your reason for doing this?  is it because you don't have the time to develop and maintain the software?  I've often wondered how much money one can make with a few shareware tools.  How much do the text editor companies make when they sell each license for around $30?  I know Total Commander sells a lot in the file manager business, how much do they make?  Where can I find any numbers for these?

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39 AM »
I'm doing this because I shifted my time to focus on two things: Development work for Veign and OpenMenu.  Trying to stop spreading myself so thin.  Doesn't make sense and every part suffers.  Also, my head, and heart, is not into desktop development anymore.

I couldn't give you numbers on what you'll make as my apps have been donationware, freeware and postcardware.  What someone does with it is up to them.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I'm sad to see you're not having much luck finding a home for your apps. :(

Of course, I haven't got much right to speak since I'm not stepping up either ;) but I think a good part of the problem is that virtually all of those apps seem like things that have been done 100,000 times before by thousands of programmers. Probably not done anywhere near as well, mind you, but in the end I can imagine it not making it look like the juiciest thing out there.

I really do hope you'll find someone though. If you do not, and you really want to find a home for those apps in the end, perhaps you can convince one of our resident DoCo coders to give them a home so they'll at least be somewhat supported.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47 AM »
This is a great collection of applications for someone looking to quickly create a portfolio and online presence.

The reason for selling is I want to give it to someone who has a vested interest to maintain them and keep the applications going.  If I was to just give them away it would be very difficult to vet out the right person who isn't just looking to get free code and assets.  The price in my head is what I consider a nominal fee to ensure some vested interest, it no where near reflects the 1000's of hours of development work that has gone into the applications.