topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft's dropped feature is Linux's gain  (Read 22416 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft's dropped feature is Linux's gain
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 08:58 AM »

Most have already outsourced their web hosting. About half have done the same with email and purchase transaction processing. So it's only a short psychological hop to the notion of pushing their servers and office apps up to a virtual world.

We've got one client (SMB doctors office) that is hosting their Email domain with Gmail. While it is nice given the free hosting of mail@your-domain it has so far proven to be about half as reliable as a coin toss. The web development company that did their site, and recommended the Gmail solution said that it worked fine for many of their clients. So I'm trying really hard to reserve judgment ... But it's becoming difficult (aliases fail, MX record lookups fail, etc.).

Hosting a med practice's email on The Goog?

That definitely takes a bigger set of kahunas then I've got!

But what I was talking about was more along the lines of springing for a hosted Exchange server through one of the reputable business-class hosting companies. My personal feeling is that if your mail/ groupware requirements have reached the point where you need something like Exchange, you either need in-house IT - or a priority support contract/remote host arrangement if you're gonna go down that road. Because once you start using a groupware product, your whole business operation  becomes completely dependent on it in relatively short order. So unless you have full time IT, you don't want to be running your own Exchange server.

Not to say my organization won't be happy to provide (and invoice) support for it if you did bring your own "e-box" into the server room. But that still won't get you fail-over without spending more money.
Again, just my 2.

----///----

Y'know what? I just realized I'd be making piles more money if I weren't so honest with my SMB clients. Gotta do something about that one of these days.  :huh:

Kidding...just kidding.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:48 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 11:21 AM »

Most have already outsourced their web hosting. About half have done the same with email and purchase transaction processing. So it's only a short psychological hop to the notion of pushing their servers and office apps up to a virtual world.

We've got one client (SMB doctors office) that is hosting their Email domain with Gmail. While it is nice given the free hosting of mail@your-domain it has so far proven to be about half as reliable as a coin toss. The web development company that did their site, and recommended the Gmail solution said that it worked fine for many of their clients. So I'm trying really hard to reserve judgment ... But it's becoming difficult (aliases fail, MX record lookups fail, etc.).

Hosting a med practice's email on The Goog?

That definitely takes a bigger set of kahunas then I've got!

Yeah, wasn't my first choice either... But it's a small office (5 people) that's just starting up so it won't be a really huge mess if (when...) it goes sideways. Did I mention they were using @Yahoo accounts. I really am trying to give the whole cloud thing a fair shake as I don't want to be left behind with the main-frame crew ... But I do feel that a little kicking and screaming is warranted ... So I'm starting small.

Actually their original plan was to go with a thin client(ish) workgroup only because they were planning to us a cloud based solution. It was a knock down drag out battle to get them to go for getting even an entry level server let alone something hefty enough to handle publicly access services.

The schlockmiester sales crew from the cloud company strung these folks along till the very last minute. All the hardware had been spec'ed, approved, ordered, and was partially deployed...And only then... The price of the cloud service was (divulged)
discussed - to the tune of $86,000.00 - for a 5 person office - and training was extra. $12,000.00 extra (that is...).

So... we had to stick it (the Email) somewhere fast. Actually, if it wasn't for the fact that I tend to be a bit anal about wanting to spell peoples names correctly. I'd have never yanked open the box of newly delivered business cards and seen the company's website address on the bottom of the card. All previous inquires made received the response "we have no website".

...And that's how I got cornered into this little cluster f...

But what I was talking about was more along the lines of springing for a hosted Exchange server through one of the reputable business-class hosting companies. My personal feeling is that if your mail/ groupware requirements have reached the point where you need something like Exchange, you either need in-house IT - or a priority support contract/remote host arrangement if you're gonna go down that road. Because once you start using a groupware product, your whole business operation  becomes completely dependent on it in relatively short order. So unless you have full time IT, you don't want to be running your own Exchange server.

We be on the same page there. However I'm not sure which business-class Exchange hosting companies to recommend ... Well, that and I'd rather manage an in-house Exchange server for them.

Not to say my organization won't be happy to provide (and invoice) support for it of you do bring your own "e-box" into the server room. But that still won't get you fail-over without spending more money.

Might I inquire about the nature and location of your organization? Specifically does your organization provide Exchange hosting?

Y'know what? I just realized I'd be making piles more money if I weren't so honest with my SMB clients. Gotta do something about that one of these days.  :huh:

Kidding...just kidding.

I too have been drawn to the dark side at times ... But one look in the mirror, and I just - can't - do - it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Might I inquire about the nature and location of your organization? Specifically does your organization provide Exchange hosting?

We're a straight forward SMB system & network consulting/support operation. Primarily Microsoft with some BSD/Nix deployments on the server level. Like to see more of that, but it's the client's call and they're more comfortable with Redmond's products. And when you come right down to it, there's nothing wrong with that opinion either. Win7, Office, and the newer (i.e. 2k3 and later) servers are fine products. No argument from me on that point.

We don't offer hosted anything as yet although we've certainly been talking about it. Probably would have done it already had the market in our area not taken such a hit a while ago. Right now we have the 'big boy's competing with us for market segments and clients they were completely uninterested in a few years ago. Having our biggest customers be in the publishing sector also doesn't help since they've been taking a 'blood bath' trying to retool and rethink their whole business model.

We'll muddle through, having weathered worse storms over the years.

Yes indeed we shall! :Thmbsup:

I too have been drawn to the dark side at times ... But one look in the mirror, and I just - can't - do - it.

Yeah. I have to agree. Being able to live with yourself and sleep at night is something no amount of money can buy. At least not for people like us.  

Besides, we've been honest with people for so long that it would probably be a pretty hard habit to break. :)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:46 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 04:49 PM »
We don't offer hosted anything as yet although we've certainly been talking about it.

Bummer, that could have saved me some time... (hehe) ...Our primary product is re-manufactured toner cartridges, after that is printer service, printer sales (the margins are shit), and IT. IT consists of me only, and I spend most of my time swapping hats faster that a kleptomaniac octopus at a haberdashery.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42 AM »
I spend most of my time swapping hats faster that a kleptomaniac octopus at a haberdashery.
;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup: Love it!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I spend most of my time swapping hats faster that a kleptomaniac octopus at a haberdashery.
;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup: Love it!

Me too! ;D

Maybe you should consider changing your forum name to: The Great Cthullu? If you're gonna be an octopus, why not be the octopus?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I fear that would be far to tempting (on bad days) to slip into character and go on a rampage.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Who are these pinheads who make such idiotic decisions?

Ultimately?

This guy.

Any questions?  :P

Yeah. Didn't he leave Microsoft a while back to go work for EA or something like that?

Nyet.

http://en.wikipedia....g/wiki/Steve_Ballmer

Oh yeah, I was thinking of Peter Moorew.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 12:06 AM »
When I first read about this I noticed that HP dropped WHS like a hot potato in its Media Server line, and is now using WebOS. (Zaine mentioned that in the original post too.) So how will that work? I thought that WebOS was just a cute name for distributed computing. So HP will have all your data online? Like on their own servers, or Amazon S3? Rather than local? Or am I misunderstanding the term?

Thanks!

Jim

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 04:28 AM »
When I first read about this I noticed that HP dropped WHS like a hot potato in its Media Server line, and is now using WebOS. (Zaine mentioned that in the original post too.) So how will that work? I thought that WebOS was just a cute name for distributed computing. So HP will have all your data online? Like on their own servers, or Amazon S3? Rather than local? Or am I misunderstanding the term?

Agam Shah helps explain: The MediaSmart Server includes software developed by HP for tasks such as remote and mobile media streaming, multimedia file collection and file conversion. The server carried a unique user interface developed by HP and allowed multimedia files to be accessed from computing resources including Windows or Mac computers.

Notably, HP's Linux-based WebOS is just HP's version of ChromeOS, iOS, etc., for its various devices, such as this upcoming tablet:
http://www.crunchgea...ike-an-hp-ifed-ipad/

As one of the commenters said, adding more OSes to the [device] market doesn't really help the consumer, since the browser is now central. Until a company like HP can lure developers to its proprietary WebOS platform, Microsoft most likely doesn't care what HP does with it.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Just out of curiosity, which feature from MS desktop was dropped that was picked by linux recently ?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Just out of curiosity, which feature from MS desktop was dropped that was picked by linux recently ?
It wasn't dropped from the desktop, it was dropped from WHS (Windows Home Server) - It being the Drive Extender functionality that allowed dis-contiguous space to be dynamically pooled and used.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Thanks Zaine! Understood now.

Mahesh2k: Basically in Windows Home Server (WHS) you could add various makes and sizes of hard drives and the server would look at them all as one giant storage. No drive letters to worry over. Getting short on storage? Just pop in another 1 TB drive and pick up work where you left off. That is the feature that is being removed from the latest version. (My understanding, anyway).   :)

Jim

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38 PM »
looks like Drive Extender is making a comeback! in Win Server 8..

http://thedigitallif...in-windows-server-8/