ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft's dropped feature is Linux's gain

<< < (7/8) > >>

40hz:
I spend most of my time swapping hats faster that a kleptomaniac octopus at a haberdashery.
-Stoic Joker (December 04, 2010, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup: Love it!

-steeladept (December 05, 2010, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too! ;D

Maybe you should consider changing your forum name to: The Great Cthullu? If you're gonna be an octopus, why not be the octopus?

Stoic Joker:
I fear that would be far to tempting (on bad days) to slip into character and go on a rampage.

Deozaan:
Who are these pinheads who make such idiotic decisions?
-timns (December 02, 2010, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ultimately?

This guy.

Any questions?  :P-40hz (December 02, 2010, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Didn't he leave Microsoft a while back to go work for EA or something like that?
-Deozaan (December 03, 2010, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nyet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ballmer-40hz (December 03, 2010, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, I was thinking of Peter Moorew.

J-Mac:
When I first read about this I noticed that HP dropped WHS like a hot potato in its Media Server line, and is now using WebOS. (Zaine mentioned that in the original post too.) So how will that work? I thought that WebOS was just a cute name for distributed computing. So HP will have all your data online? Like on their own servers, or Amazon S3? Rather than local? Or am I misunderstanding the term?

Thanks!

Jim

zridling:
When I first read about this I noticed that HP dropped WHS like a hot potato in its Media Server line, and is now using WebOS. (Zaine mentioned that in the original post too.) So how will that work? I thought that WebOS was just a cute name for distributed computing. So HP will have all your data online? Like on their own servers, or Amazon S3? Rather than local? Or am I misunderstanding the term?-J-Mac (January 21, 2011, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agam Shah helps explain: The MediaSmart Server includes software developed by HP for tasks such as remote and mobile media streaming, multimedia file collection and file conversion. The server carried a unique user interface developed by HP and allowed multimedia files to be accessed from computing resources including Windows or Mac computers.

Notably, HP's Linux-based WebOS is just HP's version of ChromeOS, iOS, etc., for its various devices, such as this upcoming tablet:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/18/hp-webos-tablet-leaks-looks-like-an-hp-ifed-ipad/

As one of the commenters said, adding more OSes to the [device] market doesn't really help the consumer, since the browser is now central. Until a company like HP can lure developers to its proprietary WebOS platform, Microsoft most likely doesn't care what HP does with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version