topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Toys :D  (Read 3135 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
New Toys :D
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Sigh... I love new toys, but hate constantly shelling out a small fortune for them...

I just got a new phone, the HTC Desire HD, and it's a nice toy, but can I stop there? No...

Actually, it really wasn't a matter of choice for this one -- I've needed a new server badly for a while and finally got around to it.

Anyways, for the juicy stuff...

Dual Xeon 5430 procs with 4 GB RAM and 2 x  250 GB SATA II drives. Lots enough for what I'll need it for.

That server lists for about $563 a month, but I managed to steal one for just over $300 a month at Soft Layer through one of their promotions. :) Yay~!

I've been with The Planet for years now, and they've always been excellent. If I were to move, I'd move to Rackspace, but that's simply too expensive for me at the moment.

But, Soft Layer & The Planet have merged, so while I haven't moved, it looks like I'll have 2 control panels. Oh well. I'll end up ditching the old server shortly I think. Then buy it back when it hits the bargain bin for a third what I'm paying now. :) Just kidding.

I'm confident that Soft Layer will live up to the same quality as The Planet. We'll see though. So far everything is pretty smooth. A hiccup with my new user name and password, but nothing serious, and they're on top of fixing it now.

Oh, I should mention that the server was ready in less than 2 hours! Sweet! It used to take days to get a server up and running.

Now... I just pray that I don't need any more toys... :D

Next it's just a matter of migrating everything over seamlessly with zero down time. Which ironically, is time consuming in itself.

Just had to tell someone -- it's always exciting starting up a new production server! :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Toys :D
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Just had to tell someone -- it's always exciting starting up a new production server!
Well, good for you!  :Thmbsup:
I haven't the first idea about setting up any kind of server (outside of a restaurant) but I enjoy the kick from new toys.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Damn lol, If I had known u was moving, I could have hooked you up with:

Intel Xeon Quad 1.86 GHz
4x500 GB SATA 2 Hard Drives
1400 GB Traffic
4 GB DDR3 Memory
Gbit Network Cards
and 3 Dedicated IPs

(All *nix OS)

for around $260USD/month with free setup haha

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Damn lol, If I had known u was moving, I could have hooked you up with:

Intel Xeon Quad 1.86 GHz
4x500 GB SATA 2 Hard Drives
1400 GB Traffic
4 GB DDR3 Memory
Gbit Network Cards
and 3 Dedicated IPs

(All *nix OS)

for around $260USD/month with free setup haha

Sigh... Oh well.

Where is it hosted? That's really cheap.

I'm pretty skittish about where I put servers as I've been burned repeatedly by different companies. But 4 Xeon procs? Wow. And 2 TB of storage? Nice. It's VERY tempting!

I almost posted here too. I was going to ask about what people thought, or if they had any recommendations. Oh well. I'll console myself with knowing that where I am is safe. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39 PM »
The server would be located at Peer 1 Data Center in California

Our network architecture utilizes the Enterprise routing and switching engines from Juniper and Cisco. We utilize Juniper M20 routers as border routers, Cisco 6500 series switches in our distribution layer and Cisco 6500 switches in our aggregation layers, and Cisco 3500 and 2900 series switches at the customer layer. Our network is fully meshed and redundant with 9 backbone providers.