topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My new favorite ftp client: Total Commander (yes, really)  (Read 10018 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My new favorite ftp client: Total Commander (yes, really)
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:39 PM »
After years of not really having a preferred ftp client, I've realized that Total Commander is the best for me.  My ideal ftp client should act just like my regular file manager as much as possible.  I used to use Filezilla for the most part.  I liked Cuteftp for a while because it was feature rich.  The biggest obstacles are usually in the connection issues.  When the dc server was changed to a more secure kind of server a while back, not all ftp clients had the features to connect to it.  So it really limited the options available.  Surprisingly, TC was well equipped for it.  And I think we have someone here to thank for it (I forget who) but he made suggestions specifically for the dc server on the tc forums as well as the forum here.  Anyway, it works really well, and once connected, you pretty much can treat it like any other folder.  I love that.  DOpus also has ftp features, but I'm not sure if it can handle the security here.  And even if it does, I'd have to pay an extra few dollars for the added feature.  I should actually try that sometime, I know the standard ftp featureset can't do it.  But TC works really well.  Very cool!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My new favorite ftp client: Total Commander (yes, really)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Hey Bro! +1!

I use NexusFile :-* in a similar manner when I'm in Windows. Got the portable version on my "field" usb key too.

There's times when you just can't beat a simple old-fashioned dual-pane file manager. Although t'was a time (not very long ago) when most FTP clients did look like one before they were "improved."  ;D

nexusfile1.png

NexusFile has very nice support for FTP, although I don't know if it can address those security issues you mentioned.

nexusfile2.png

So far (knock wood) it connects to everything I point it at. And it doesn't have a problem running under Windows 7. (Yay!) :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:42 PM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:30 PM »
I use DOpus - it simply opens a pane in my two-pane UI and it works just like any other directory. Pretty sweet!

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12 PM »
I use DOpus - it simply opens a pane in my two-pane UI and it works just like any other directory. Pretty sweet!

But I believe superboyac wants SFTP/SSH capability - with DOpus that costs an extra AU$10 per license.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Hmm - came with mine back when I purchased it. Maybe it has changed?

Thanks!

Jim

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Î am currently switching from FileZilla to Cyberduck which has a funny look and feel.  :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46 AM »

But I believe superboyac wants SFTP/SSH capability - with DOpus that costs an extra AU$10 per license.
Yes, I would need all that with Explicit something or other.  Most ftp clients I've encountered do not have this.  It's not clear if Dopus can do it either, since there's nothing about the details of its ftp features on the Dopus website.  I'd love it if it could, since I use DOpus primarily.  Has anyone here connected to the dc server using Dopus?

And 40hz is back again!  Welcome back!...hold on, I'm going to do my 40hz is back dance:
 :eusa_dance: :greenclp: :tease:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Yes, I would need all that with Explicit something or other.  Most ftp clients I've encountered do not have this.  It's not clear if Dopus can do it either, since there's nothing about the details of its ftp features on the Dopus website.  I'd love it if it could, since I use DOpus primarily.  Has anyone here connected to the dc server using Dopus?

Form the website here:

Advanced FTP is an optional feature that you can select at the time you purchase Directory Opus, or add later.

It enables support for Secure FTP protocols, including:

Secure FTP via SSL

Both Implicit and Explicit Secure FTP connections are supported. Implicit means the client (Opus) issues an AUTH command and asks for an SSL connection. Explicit means the client assumes the server is running a SSL connection on port 990 and attempts to immediately open a connection (for example, as used by the excellent FTP server - Serv-U). Normally, implicit connections are recommended.

Note that if the SSL connection is not accepted, then the FTP connection will fail. For security reasons it will not auto-fall back to a non-secure connection – instead, you will get an error message informing you that a secure connection could not be established.

SSH / SFTP over SSH on port 22

This system is based on the freeware Putty source code of Psftpa by Simon Tatham et al. Opus provides a seamless integration of the SSH connection type on port 22 and FTP over that connection as if it were a normal FTP connection. The SFTP protocol is more limited than normal FTP and some options in the FTP settings do not apply to SSH - these will be ghosted when this connection type is chosen. Because Opus essentially is based upon the Putty system, any settings from an existing Putty installation stored in the registry should be recognized and used as if you were connecting via the command line Putty version.

To order Advanced FTP with your Directory Opus 9 licence, simply select it under the Licences and Optional Features section on the order form.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:02 AM by 4wd »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Thanks 4wd!  I couldn't find it!

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:54 PM »

I use sftp plugin for TC and works great so far. I have tried Filezilla sftp support and to be honest I have found it to be flakey and in some cases it could not even get the file list. It seems like it has issues with Cygwin implementation of SSH sftp server. TC with sftp plugin works great.

Another good sftp client is Winscp. But I prefer TC with sftp nowadays.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Another +1 for Total Commander here!
I use it for all kind of things, and FTP is surely one of them.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31 AM »
As much as I love TC and use it for everything, including FTP most of the time, I do also use FileZilla for any larger files. This is because I've noticed that TC always uses exactly half of the available bandwidth.

My outgoing connection isn't very fast, about 70 kbps max, and FileZilla will use all of it, while TC tops at 35 kbps every time. Unless I'm missing something that's going to be obvious in hindsight, there doesn't seem to be a throttle setting in the configuration,  yet some kind of throttling appears to be in effect.

However, for sheer convenience, nothing beats an ftp interface that's integrated with your default file manager. I only use FileZilla to upload really large files.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Although I am TC fan, I was using FileZilla for a long time. It ended up when I had discovered that FZ does not store passwords in secure way.

@superboyac
AFAIR Christian Ghisler had temporary FTP account on DC for TC testing purposes.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 07:36 AM »
My outgoing connection isn't very fast, about 70 kbps max, and FileZilla will use all of it, while TC tops at 35 kbps every time. Unless I'm missing something that's going to be obvious in hindsight, there doesn't seem to be a throttle setting in the configuration,  yet some kind of throttling appears to be in effect.

tranglos, check if this helps:
Total Commander - FTP upload mistery
For some users, it helped to increase the upload block size. You may try this too: Please add the following string to the file wcx_ftp.ini, section [General]:
UploadBlockSize=32768

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05 AM »
tranglos, check if this helps:
Total Commander - FTP upload mistery
For some users, it helped to increase the upload block size. You may try this too: Please add the following string to the file wcx_ftp.ini, section [General]:
UploadBlockSize=32768

Thanks, Mark, will try!