topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Shortcut Key Article  (Read 12535 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Shortcut Key Article
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I found this of interest because on occasions when I tried using a hotkey with a Windows shortcut, it seemed inconsistent. I gave up on it.  The article explains the locations where the shortcut key will work.

It may save running a hotkey just to launch a program esp. if you can stand the shortcut being in the All Programs list.  Unfortunately it seems to favor the desktop. I've cleaned all icons off my desktop and have no desire to put them back.  Anyway, it may clarify some things for those frustrated with the shortcut key mechanism:

http://www.techsuppo...cation-or-folder.htm

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Shortcut Key Article
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:01 PM »
I seldom use shortcuts/hotkeys ... there are too many to remember and no real logic to a lot of them ... by the time I figure out what hotkey I want, I could have used the mouse and GUI to accomplish the same  :D
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I'm with you on that. For launching apps I have several methods but the most organized is folders with categories of shortcuts and each folder is in RocketDock.  For stuff I use the most I have StandAlone Stack in the TaskBar or QuickLaunch depending if it's W7 or Vista.

I just remember trying them and sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. I don't recall seeing the info that they had to be in All Programs or Desktop before.  For the hotkey programs I write the hotkey is in the About dialog as reminder.

brianpals

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:48 PM »
As a very keen keyboard shortcut fan I find Launchy brilliant.  It takes 2 keys to open the program and then one or two to find the program that I want to launch.
Before I found Launchy I used FARR, which is very good but not quite up to the Launchy standard.  However, if Launchy won't find a certain file, I can use Launchy to launch FARR and then that generally finds it for me.
Yes, I can agree that remembering keyboard shortcuts can be quite a task in itself but, once you really get to know them, the only time you would need the mouse in Windows XP is when manipulating graphics.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Hi Brian,

Launchy is a good program, but as the author of FARR i can't help but wonder why you prefer it over FARR.. have you tried FARR lately? Please do let me know any areas where FARR could use improvement.  But not on this thread, better to post in the FARR section of the forum.

brianpals

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56 PM »
OK, Mouser, but give me a few days.  You are the reason why I decided to donate in the first place so I suppose I owe you that.  :-)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Before FARR I used SlickRun. Also I tried several of the alias type launchers where you type and get a match.  Trouble is, I often forget the name of the executable while remembering what it does.  With categorized shortcuts, I go into Editors if I want to edit and the icon triggers my memory.

Unless you know one where typing "duh" finds everything, I'm gonna' need icon based launching. :)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02 AM »
Apart from FARR, I can recommend you two alternatives for shortcut keys:

My first choice was to create an ad-hoc autohotkey script which contained shortcuts defined to launch whatever I wanted. I would then compile it, and put it into start-up. This is also a relatively easy way of assigning new characters to keys. For instance, here is what I use at the moment:

; Minimize Current Window
#Down::WinMinimize,A

; Force current window to stay on top
#Up::WinSet,AlwaysOnTop,Toggle,A

;mouse wheel function with win-pageup-pagedown
#PgDn::Send {WheelDown}
#PgUp::Send {WheelUp}

;Type NumpadDot types "." I hate Turkish keyboard layout, I despise Turkish regional settings.
;win+NumpadDot types ","
#NumpadDot::,
NumpadDot::SendRaw .

;Send alt-insert when alt-NumpadSub is pressed (for trados and stupid stupid logitech keyboard with no separate insert key)
!NumpadSub::!Insert

;Type accented A and a for Turkish
#+a::Â
#a::â

;Save some energy
+F1::
sleep 750
SendMessage,0x112,0xF170,2,,Program Manager
return

The second option is SecondShell. It's a handy utility to make efficient use of large monitors. When you install it, edit the secondshell.ini to change the custom hotkeys. It lets you assign any application to any win-hotkey.

There are more than one way of doing things, and I love learning others' ways, so thought you might like to hear my way.

brianpals

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:52 AM »
Eleman, now you've really got me confused!
I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to copy and paste the code(?) that you've posted above even if I did think I needed it.
Look, I have 2 monitors and use Winsplit Revolution to manipulate any open window to any of over 26 positions on these screens... all using keyboard shortcuts.  I think that's enough for anyone... unless, of course, they love programming, which turns me off.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:25 AM »
I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to copy and paste the code(?) that you've posted above even if I did think I needed it.

That is a primitive autohotkey script. That is a comparatively simple and handy scripting language. The quick start tutorial on that page is very informative.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 03:23 PM »
FARR has the advantage that recent finds are at the top when I hit the Pause key.  So when I do video using BD Rebuilder, I hit pause, the number for Core Temp(since my cores will be maxed out and I want to watch the temp) then hit Pause and the number for BD Rebuilder.

The alias or substring searches are better for younger users who haven't developed memory deterioration yet.  Visuals seem to stir the memory better.  For example my password saver program, I forget the password to open it until I see the GUI.  Then my fingers seem to remember what to type to get into it.  Maybe I'm short on Vitamin C or something. :)

brianpals

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38 PM »
You really are MilesAhead... of me, anyway!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45 PM »
You really are MilesAhead... of me, anyway!

Nah, I think I just have too much time to spend on this stuff. :)

If I was water skiing with Hawaiian Girls(tm) I don't think my apps would get updated for a long long time. ;)

tntsundancer22

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Oh boy, did I mess up! Now, I have no "program properties!
No shotcuts, no reg.keys, nothing! I have searced and it
seems like a real catast.! Help anyone?  And if I get them in
correctly in the folder options in control panel
would that replace every file/folder? Or-lady, you
are in trouble! ThankYou so much

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40 PM »
If you are using Vista I would post here:
http://www.vistax64.com/

Windows Seven try here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/

if still on XP you might try:
http://www.bleepingc.../forums/forum56.html

A lot more people will see it.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 10:43 AM »
I use True Launch Bar and MacroExpress Pro in launching most of my frequent use programs. Both handle hotkeys combination [Win] + [Ctrt] + <key> very well.

e.g.
[Win] + [Enter]/[SpaceBar] for True Launchbar
[Win] + [Ctrt] + E for IE
[Win] + [Ctrt] + G for Genie Backup Manager
[Win] + [Ctrt] + H for HyperSnap
[Win] + [Ctrt] + O for Opera
[Win] + [Ctrt] + S for SyncBack SE
[Win] + [Ctrt] + V for Visual FoxPro 
[Alt] + [num INS] for Comfort Clipboard
and many more ... (I hate MS for seizing my [Win] + [Ctrt] + P keys)

The above is typed from my memory, I suppose I am born with special memory to quickly and easily remember many hot keys or shortcut keys :) ... come to think about it, I also remember and use a different set of hotkeys inside most of my frequent use utilities like EmEditor, Total Commander etc.

I have 2 very frequent use programs launched by mouse-click via MS Mouse IPOINT utility. I launch Total Commander with MS Mouse's big side button and middle button is reserved for Listary.

For less frequent use program I find them (by typing accelerate keys) from the True Launch Bar menu.

In brief, I hardly click to launch a program and I usually dislike programs that are not keyboard friendly.