topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which Desktop Search Tool(s) do you use? (Choose up to 2)

Google Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Copernic Desktop Search
36 (14.9%)
MSN Windows Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Yahoo Desktop Search
4 (1.7%)
X1 Desktop Search
24 (9.9%)
Locate
40 (16.5%)
Archivarius
14 (5.8%)
other...
61 (25.2%)
none / no comment
33 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Last post Author Topic: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?  (Read 764654 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?
« Reply #700 on: December 24, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Have you installed WDS on Win7 or using the version built in? The Built in version only searches indexed folders by default but you can override that and search all folders.

Thanks Carol. No, I haven't installed WDS - this is the built-in utility that comes with Win7. I'll have to look into expanding its index parameters.

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Thanks Darwin for taking the time to answer.
Direct Access takes between 9-10 full minutes, even when the DB has already been indexed. Quicker, yes, but still very slow considering that Outlook needs to be closed etc. I usually leave Outlook open, and if I unadvisedly start the indexing and Outlook is open, it'll just plainly and simply render the last index unusable which is a pain. I don't why it does it but... it does and that's why I had to revert to OLE a while ago.
Mailstore seems to be an interesting option. I'll check this out -- it may mean that I'll have to rethink a bit the way I organize my emails.

I reinstalled Archivarius a couple of builds back and recently updated to build 4.27. It indexes my 1 GB worth of pst files in about 5 minutes WITH Outlook 2007 open. I'm not sure when this was fixed, but I'm quite impressed  :Thmbsup:

PS This is using the default settings when creating an E-Mail index, BTW...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Darwin. I just downloaded the build 4.27.
Seems slower than you : 28% after 10min. My PST file is 982 MB.
However, I'm using Outlook 2003, and maybe does that make a difference ? My computer is also a laptop, 2.2ghz (core 2 duo).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2010, 11:47 PM »
Hi Armando - I should have mentioned that the initial scan took quite a while (I left it running and did something else, so can't be exactly sure of the duration, but 40-50 minutes is probably about right). After that, re-building the index is quite quick, as noted. I first had a scheduled rebuild set up and it took 7 minutes. Earlier today I went into the properties of the scheduled rebuild and selected the option to have Archivarius index only changed and new files and it went down to about 5 minutes.

I'm running a laptop, too - 2.5 GHz core 2 duo.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #704 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Thanks Darwin. Yes, it's quicker after a first indexing. But still slow here : almost 15 min. There could be other reasons. Maybe my anti-virus. I'll make some more tests later.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Hi Armando - you've got me curious, now. Let me know how you make out. This reminds me of X1 a couple of years ago where, randomly, it would seriously slow down my XP notebook and mess around with its ability to go into standby mode. Later, the issue disappeared, but others continued to experience it...

I no longer remember, and cannot find how, to change the Direct Access settings for Archivarius' PST indexing, so I can't tell if I have it enabled or disabled.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #706 on: February 08, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Archivarius/likasoft Web site visited 2010-02-08, local time 21:56.  Oh-oh...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #707 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Archivarius/likasoft Web site visited 2010-02-08, local time 21:56.  Oh-oh...

Weird... And a bit frightening... :(

Hopefully, my computer is not infected...

....Hi Darwin,

Yes, there are 2 ways.
In the "Select folders for indexing" dialog :

1- E-mail messages --> Custom Mailbox section, etc. (special OLE settings for PST files access won't apply...)

2- E-mail messages --> Outlook/Exchange mailbox.

#1 is quicker, but you need to close outlook.
#2 is slower.

I just tried it again, I'm now at 11.16 min... I'd be surprised if it can be as fast as 5min though.

I relied on Google desktop for outlook stuff in the last few months. Low resources usage, quick...
Don't know if I'll keep using Archivarius for anything else than documents... Will see...
 :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #708 on: February 08, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Very weird, Armando! I'm using method number one - OLE. Not only can I rebuild the index with Outlook open, if I start the rebuild with Outlook closed Archivarius opens Outlook!

rjbull - what is generating that attack report - Firefox? I've never had any trouble visitng that page and have just done so with both IE8 and Opera 10.5 beta.

FWIW, I'm running VIPRE Premium 4 beta 3 as my all in one security suite.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #709 on: February 08, 2010, 06:24 PM »
#1 is actually NOT ole... It's my fault, the way I wrote it made it seem the contrary.
Maybe I should try #1 instead then, since Archivarius will open outlook if needed...
Let's see...
As for Archivarius' website, yes, it's blocked by firefox. If this is untrue and firefox/google and their security measures are to blame, this is not good ! Not good for business...

Screenshot - 2010-02-08 , 19_24_14.png

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #710 on: February 09, 2010, 03:37 PM »
rjbull - what is generating that attack report - Firefox? I've never had any trouble visitng that page and have just done so with both IE8 and Opera 10.5 beta.
Well, I run Online Armor firewall and thought it was prompted by that.  But I see that Armando, who knows a thing or two, thinks its Firefox itself.  I've heard enough good things about Archivarius here to think it's an attack, not likasoft, but it would be nice for the site to get a clean bill of health.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #711 on: February 09, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Yeah, that looks like a Firefox warning (I was running Fx as my default browser until about two weeks ago). I've never had a problem visiting likasoft.com, but I'll let the developer know so that he can take this up with Mozilla.

I have yet to encounter an instance in which Windows 7's built in search features have let me down, but Archivarius is nice to have around as backup. FWIW, I also have dtSearch for the same reason. I don't have either set to run at startup, though.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #712 on: February 10, 2010, 11:13 AM »
I just went to the likasoft site.  Firefox did its best to discourage me from doing so.  Apparently Firefox is using advisories from Google to decide what sites to block.  I was interested to see that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro with IP Protection enabled and the latest definitions loaded did NOT flag the site as dangerous.  OTOH, the page I reached looked surprisingly lame.  I don't usually visit it, so I have no way of knowing whether it usually looks so amateurish, but it looked like a page I would design with my exceedingly basic and outmoded web-construction skills.  That made me wonder whether it's the real page.   :o

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #713 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26 AM »
I just went to the likasoft site.  Firefox did its best to discourage me from doing so.  Apparently Firefox is using advisories from Google to decide what sites to block.  I was interested to see that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro with IP Protection enabled and the latest definitions loaded did NOT flag the site as dangerous.  OTOH, the page I reached looked surprisingly lame.  I don't usually visit it, so I have no way of knowing whether it usually looks so amateurish, but it looked like a page I would design with my exceedingly basic and outmoded web-construction skills.  That made me wonder whether it's the real page.   :o

This is what the page should look like:

likasoft site.pngWhat is the currently best Desktop Search software?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #714 on: February 10, 2010, 12:11 PM »
 That made me wonder whether it's the real page.   :o

No, I think that must be the one.  
Hope so anyway as I've just installed the update. :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #715 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Thanks, Darwin, for the screenshot.  It looks somewhat different from the page I got/get.  The formatting on yours is much better.  I've attached a screenshot that I just took so you can see the difference. 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #716 on: February 10, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Hmm... I'm using IE 8 - I guess the website is optimized for IE? Alternatively, I've seen some pages render like that when my interet connection is about to fail (wireless link to the router gets reset).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #717 on: February 10, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Hmm... I'm using IE 8 - I guess the website is optimized for IE? Alternatively, I've seen some pages render like that when my interet connection is about to fail (wireless link to the router gets reset).
Hmmm....interesting.  You're right--after reading your message, I opened the page in IE 8, and it looked just like yours.  I then opened it in Opera 10, and it looked just like yours.  But in Firefox 3.6, my default browser, it's screwed up.  Of course, it's only Firefox that warns about the site's being a baddie.  I wonder whether in addition to the warning, FF also degrades the formatting.   :down:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #718 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27 PM »

I don’t think that Firefox is getting its advisories from Google. Firefox 3.6 is still blocking likasoft.com, yet Google Chrome is not. Weird.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #719 on: February 10, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Hmm.. - Firefox also blocked it when I clicked the order buttn, so maybe it's Share*It that is the bad egg. Good - they should be blocked!!

I still won't buy because Share*It / RegNow converts Euros to USD with a significant bump. Crooks.

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #720 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59 PM »
In any case, if likasoft has nothing to do with the problem, I find the whole situation pretty Kafkaesque. And form what my screenshot shows (my previous post).

And I'm pretty sure that Firefox periodically downloads it's malware list of dangerous web site, malware addresses, etc. for its phishing filter in a database provided by Google.

So yes : google and firefox seem responsible for that blocked page. Somebody could probably confirm.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #721 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Well Chrome blocks the site too. Just different pages...  :)

JMac : try http://www.likasoft.com/index.shtml

I sent an e-mail to the author.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #722 on: February 10, 2010, 11:40 PM »
The author responded to me a few minutes ago :

Thank you. It is false detection of viruses. We already send message to Google.

Bye.

So... No need to worry.
But man... This is not cool.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #723 on: February 11, 2010, 12:35 AM »
*queue elaborate conspiracy theory about Google blocking sites with other search engines* :P

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #724 on: March 14, 2010, 05:25 PM »
And I'm pretty sure that Firefox periodically downloads it's malware list of dangerous web site, malware addresses, etc. for its phishing filter in a database provided by Google.

So yes : google and firefox seem responsible for that blocked page. Somebody could probably confirm.

firefox url bar --> "about:config" type "google". You will see that bunch of google stuff is embedded by default.
Naturally all of the google stuff has been neutralized in my FF.