topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Shut down scheduler  (Read 12270 times)

artkaye

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Shut down scheduler
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:57 AM »
I leave my PC on overnight to download large files. My download manager is able to indicate the time the download will take.
Is there any utility to schedule the PC to Shut down after the download?

Thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shut down scheduler
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:53 AM »
I assume your download manager does not offer this functionality?  If not, which download manager are you using?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:29 AM »
I use AMP WinOFF 4.55 An utility to automate the shut down of Windows systems with several shut down modes with moderately successful results.

As skwire suggests, it's much better to use your download manager's functionality (if available).

I use Free Download Manager that supports scheduling and shutting down.

artkaye

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Thanks, skwire
I use Download Accelarator Plus and I scheduled it for shut down. But I downloads from file-sharing sites which are not supported by DAP.

So I actually need a scheduler to shut down my PC at a specific time.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Well sidewinder has that ability, its a launcher application.

Currently there is a competition to earn a licence, please read it at
http://www.techishar...-and-win-sidewinder/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31 PM »
So I actually need a scheduler to shut down my PC at a specific time.

for simple shut-downs, you can use Tasks Scheduler by scheduling the built-in shutdown command to run at a time you choose.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:50 PM »
I just downloaded and installed DAP to take a look.  Under Tools, Options, Scheduler section, there is an option to "Shut down computer" after scheduled downloads are finished.

...and now I'm uninstalling it...good grief, what an invasive install.

2010-08-18_224851.pngShut down scheduler

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:39 AM »
It sounds to me like the problem is that the sites the OP is downloading from do not accept the multiple connections that download managers tend to use - thus the Shutdown-on-finish won't work because he can't use DAP with its multiple connections.

However, some download managers allow you specify sites where the number of connections will be restricted, (ie. to one), Orbit is one of them and I think FDM can also do it.

I know I have used Orbit without any problems on fileshare sites, you can also have it identify itself as a browser, (IIRC - haven't needed to use it recently).

Otherwise, if you want to keep your current downloader then have a look at DShutdown which can be triggered when your WAN transfer rate drops below a certain level as well as at a certain time.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:41 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Are there any downloaders that use less bandwidth or any way to dl using less bandwidth for the poor folks like myself that get throttled by their isp?
-complearning123 (August 19, 2010, 06:58 AM)

I don't know of any download managers that don't allow you to set the maximum transfer rate.

eg. Wellget, (an oldie but still my favourite), has 3 modes: Unlimited, Automatic and Manual.

Manual mode will limit transfer rate to what you specify here.

greenshot_2010-08-19_22-50-54.pngShut down scheduler

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Are there any downloaders that use less bandwidth or any way to dl using less bandwidth for the poor folks like myself that get throttled by their isp?

No, there isn't.  Regardless of how slow or how fast you download "something", that "something" takes up the same amount of bandwidth.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 12:17 PM »

No, there isn't.  Regardless of how slow or how fast you download "something", that "something" takes up the same amount of bandwidth.

I do wish people would stop referring to data allocation as bandwidthw.

In website hosting, the term "bandwidth" is often incorrectly used to describe the amount of data transferred to or from the website or server within a prescribed period of time, for example bandwidth consumption accumulated over a month measured in gigabytes per month. The more accurate phrase used for this meaning of a maximum amount of data transfer each month or given period is monthly data transfer.

You get throttled when you use up your data allocation for the month, ie. your available bandwidth, (transfer rate), is reduced.

If you set a download at 20kB/s it does not take the same bandwidth as one at 150kB/s.  However, the amount of data transferred will be the same, it will just take longer.

The difference is the same as the one between Speed, (Bandwidth), and Distance, (Data Allocation).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:20 PM by 4wd »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Sooo... Which term is proper to describe what most ISPs are currently placing a cap on? E.g., my ISP - Comcast - tells me there is a bandwidth cap of 250 GB/month. They also advise that customers who download a lot of movies use a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Is that a true statement? And if so, is that because they use a lot of data transfer speed? Or because of the amount of data being downloaded?

Thank you.

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Sooo... Which term is proper to describe what most ISPs are currently placing a cap on? E.g., my ISP - Comcast - tells me there is a bandwidth cap of 250 GB/month.

You have a monthly download, (they could also count upload data, some ISPs do), data quota of 250GB, after downloading that amount they will reduce your bandwidth from, to give an Australian example, ADSL2+ to 256kb/s or even 0kb/s.  When your next monthly billing period starts they return you to the bandwidth transfer rate you've paid for.

In Australia ISPs rarely refer to it as a Bandwidth Cap; it's Monthly Data Allowance/Amount, Monthly Included Data, etc, to indicate a definite limit.  After that you are either shaped, (bandwidth reduction), or billed per MB/GB.

There was much 'annoyance' at ISPs here advertising Unlimited monthly downloads and then in small print saying you'd be subject to bandwidth shaping to 64kb/s or 128kb/s.  Technically, you still have unlimited download capability it's just a lot slower.
IIRC, it was deemed false advertising saying Unlimited when they clearly do limit you at some point.  Consequently, Unlimited now means Unlimited.......but at a price.

They also advise that customers who download a lot of movies use a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Is that a true statement? And if so, is that because they use a lot of data transfer speed? Or because of the amount of data being downloaded?

The first statement is sufficiently ambiguous to be used in both the correct and incorrect context of bandwidth.

If there is someone downloading movies 24/7 and Comcast' load balancing is 'poor' then that person might well be using a lot of the available bandwidth at the expense of other users.  In which case they should throttle his bandwidth at that point to allow a fairer apportionment of total available bandwidth.
They do it for Bittorrent protocol all the time here in Australia.

Technically, since you probably don't have a bandwidth of 250GB/s there's no way they can cap your usage.  But you might as well beat your head against a brick wall than try and convince a robot at the end of the phone that their terminology is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:59 PM by 4wd »

jeflcon43

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50 PM »
 :up: If you have a time you would like to shut down your computer, try "TimedShutdown" by Nic Wilson. It's free but donations are accepted, and it works.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/download.php, then to
http://www.timedshutdown.com/download

TimedShutdown
v1.003 (9/June/2010) [1.86MB] - Full Version Freeware
This program allows you to specify a date and time for your computer to shut itself down. It’s great for those night time computing processes to save power once done or to shutdown at a time if you fall asleep or forget. It is freeware, please donate to support future enhancements if you like it and use it.

Actual file download here:
http://www.timedshut...medShutdownSetup.zip  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:03 PM by jeflcon43 »

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 06:51 AM »
I use TOff. Works OK for me. Hope it works for you.