ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shut down scheduler

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
Are there any downloaders that use less bandwidth or any way to dl using less bandwidth for the poor folks like myself that get throttled by their isp?-complearning123 (August 19, 2010, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, there isn't.  Regardless of how slow or how fast you download "something", that "something" takes up the same amount of bandwidth.
-skwire (August 19, 2010, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do wish people would stop referring to data allocation as bandwidthw.

In website hosting, the term "bandwidth" is often incorrectly used to describe the amount of data transferred to or from the website or server within a prescribed period of time, for example bandwidth consumption accumulated over a month measured in gigabytes per month. The more accurate phrase used for this meaning of a maximum amount of data transfer each month or given period is monthly data transfer.
--- End quote ---

You get throttled when you use up your data allocation for the month, ie. your available bandwidth, (transfer rate), is reduced.

If you set a download at 20kB/s it does not take the same bandwidth as one at 150kB/s.  However, the amount of data transferred will be the same, it will just take longer.

The difference is the same as the one between Speed, (Bandwidth), and Distance, (Data Allocation).

J-Mac:
Sooo... Which term is proper to describe what most ISPs are currently placing a cap on? E.g., my ISP - Comcast - tells me there is a bandwidth cap of 250 GB/month. They also advise that customers who download a lot of movies use a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Is that a true statement? And if so, is that because they use a lot of data transfer speed? Or because of the amount of data being downloaded?

Thank you.

Jim

4wd:
Sooo... Which term is proper to describe what most ISPs are currently placing a cap on? E.g., my ISP - Comcast - tells me there is a bandwidth cap of 250 GB/month.-J-Mac (August 19, 2010, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have a monthly download, (they could also count upload data, some ISPs do), data quota of 250GB, after downloading that amount they will reduce your bandwidth from, to give an Australian example, ADSL2+ to 256kb/s or even 0kb/s.  When your next monthly billing period starts they return you to the bandwidth transfer rate you've paid for.

In Australia ISPs rarely refer to it as a Bandwidth Cap; it's Monthly Data Allowance/Amount, Monthly Included Data, etc, to indicate a definite limit.  After that you are either shaped, (bandwidth reduction), or billed per MB/GB.

There was much 'annoyance' at ISPs here advertising Unlimited monthly downloads and then in small print saying you'd be subject to bandwidth shaping to 64kb/s or 128kb/s.  Technically, you still have unlimited download capability it's just a lot slower.
IIRC, it was deemed false advertising saying Unlimited when they clearly do limit you at some point.  Consequently, Unlimited now means Unlimited.......but at a price.

They also advise that customers who download a lot of movies use a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Is that a true statement? And if so, is that because they use a lot of data transfer speed? Or because of the amount of data being downloaded?
--- End quote ---

The first statement is sufficiently ambiguous to be used in both the correct and incorrect context of bandwidth.

If there is someone downloading movies 24/7 and Comcast' load balancing is 'poor' then that person might well be using a lot of the available bandwidth at the expense of other users.  In which case they should throttle his bandwidth at that point to allow a fairer apportionment of total available bandwidth.
They do it for Bittorrent protocol all the time here in Australia.

Technically, since you probably don't have a bandwidth of 250GB/s there's no way they can cap your usage.  But you might as well beat your head against a brick wall than try and convince a robot at the end of the phone that their terminology is wrong.

jeflcon43:
 :up: If you have a time you would like to shut down your computer, try "TimedShutdown" by Nic Wilson. It's free but donations are accepted, and it works.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/download.php, then to
http://www.timedshutdown.com/download

TimedShutdown
v1.003 (9/June/2010) [1.86MB] - Full Version Freeware
This program allows you to specify a date and time for your computer to shut itself down. It’s great for those night time computing processes to save power once done or to shutdown at a time if you fall asleep or forget. It is freeware, please donate to support future enhancements if you like it and use it.

Actual file download here:
http://www.timedshutdown.com/ftp/bin/TimedShutdownSetup.zip  

Clive:
I use TOff. Works OK for me. Hope it works for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version