topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question for Excel experts...  (Read 8378 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question for Excel experts...
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:57 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that was written by someone a long time ago, and I'm kind of trying to reverse engineer it.  I'm trying to see what he's doing by following the formulas.  But there are so many cells to navigate through...is there some kind of way to generate a list that tells me what the formula in each cell is?  Something like

Cell M1 = A1+B1
Cell M2 = A2+B2

And so forth.  I just want a list so I can quickly follow everything without having to jump around forever.

Thanks for any help.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Question for Excel experts...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Not sure if you can do that but you can printout the spreadsheet with the formulae in the cells rather than the results.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:08 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that was written by someone a long time ago, and I'm kind of trying to reverse engineer it.  I'm trying to see what he's doing by following the formulas.  But there are so many cells to navigate through...is there some kind of way to generate a list that tells me what the formula in each cell is?  Something like

Cell M1 = A1+B1
Cell M2 = A2+B2

And so forth.  I just want a list so I can quickly follow everything without having to jump around forever.

Thanks for any help.

Tools/options/View Tab  .... check the view formulae box

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Thanks.  I found out it was the "Ctrl" + "~" combo that toggles the formula box you mentioned.  Very cool!

dajo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Also, be sure to check out the Formula Auditing toolbar (View: Toolbars).  It will draw arrows to and from dependent cells.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 05:42 AM »
Another cool tool (though it isn't the Cat's Meow!) is an auditing add-in I found yesterday.  Go to http://vangelder.orcon.net.nz/ go to his Excel page (using the bar on the left) and look for "AudXL 1.10 Add-In."  I dont like the way it formats formulas, but it's a cool idea and has given me some of my own.  Excel is extremely powerful, a cheaper replacement than MatLab in any event!

Incidentally, if anyone is tired of the Excel sort order I am almost finished with a module that does a natural sort in excel.  It can also sort by cell or font color and allows more than four columns (no real limit...).  Let me know,

Kevin

Kevin

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 10:32 AM »
I would be interested.

Please PM with the details when done.

Regards

Kayslover.
Regards

KaysLover

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Also, be sure to check out the Formula Auditing toolbar (View: Toolbars).  It will draw arrows to and from dependent cells.
Wow!  Awesome.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Another cool tool (though it isn't the Cat's Meow!) is an auditing add-in I found yesterday.  Go to http://vangelder.orcon.net.nz/ go to his Excel page (using the bar on the left) and look for "AudXL 1.10 Add-In."  I dont like the way it formats formulas, but it's a cool idea and has given me some of my own.  Excel is extremely powerful, a cheaper replacement than MatLab in any event!

Incidentally, if anyone is tired of the Excel sort order I am almost finished with a module that does a natural sort in excel.  It can also sort by cell or font color and allows more than four columns (no real limit...).  Let me know,

Kevin

Kevin
Cool!  Yes please let me (us) know more about it.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Ok... give me about another day and I'll have it as a stand alone add-in.  Unless a major bug is found, however, I will not be offering support! 

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Add-In is now available.  Check out https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2413.0 for more details.

Kevin