topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App  (Read 323406 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Teaser: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36 AM »
First off, at the moment, if a folder is empty it is discarded when the tree is refreshed (either by the button or by a stop/restart) - so that explains 1 thru 10 (stupid list got renumbered!)

11: AutoCompletions is where Auspex parks completions it has made for you on-the-fly, as you probably guessed. The 'folder,' inside is simply the *word* 'folder' that you have probably been typing so often it decided it would store it for you as a suggestion.

Well, what can I say? If you didn't have a dumb user how else would the program get broken?  :-[

Select a block of text in some program. Let go of the mouse,
I understand the action but it wasn't happening.
Thinking back, since Kedit has been snatched from the jaws of Auspex, I probably assumed that drag-drop wasn't working at all when, in fact, it doesn't work from Kedit (which does support drag-drop). When dropping on the tree didn't work I *could* drop into the replacement-text box. Maybe I tried the tree at a point where things had come looose. I can drag-drop today from FF and WordPerfect but not from Kedit.

Good thing you have so many Kedit users, or you might feel that the time spent on it was wasted!

I'm going to remove all parts of Auspex and start over, waiting until the Auspex AutoCompletions folder has appeared before I create another or attempt any moves at all.

My hope is to acquire some good moves before too long!

Thanks!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2010, 11:04 AM »

I understand the action but it wasn't happening.
Thinking back, since Kedit has been snatched from the jaws of Auspex, I probably assumed that drag-drop wasn't working at all when, in fact, it doesn't work from Kedit (which does support drag-drop). When dropping on the tree didn't work I *could* drop into the replacement-text box. Maybe I tried the tree at a point where things had come looose. I can drag-drop today from FF and WordPerfect but not from Kedit.

Good thing you have so many Kedit users, or you might feel that the time spent on it was wasted!
-cranioscopical (October 19, 2010, 10:36 AM)

Actually I  can't drag from KEdit into anything else either, so I'm going to say KEdit is to blame for this one. I  just tried to drag its text into this text box, and also Thunderbird with no luck.

I found testing with KEdit useful. It's such a finicky little SOB with keyboard events it really made me tighten up the code.  >:(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:07 AM by timns »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Actually I  can't drag from KEdit into anything else either, so I'm going to say KEdit is to blame for this one. I  just tried to drag its text into this text box, and also Thunderbird with no luck.

I found testing with KEdit useful. It's such a finicky little SOB with keyboard events it really made me tighten up the code.  >:(
Heck, I owe you another apology. You're right, Kedit will only do drag/drop within itself. D-d is something that I hardly ever use.

[aside]
Well, I'm stuck in a time warp with Rexx and I can do what I want with Kedit without having to think about it.
I'm just starting out with an IDE for something else and it has a raft of (to me) entirely unintuitive, yet fixed, key bindings. I'm too old and too stubborn to enjoy getting my head round that lot.
[/aside]

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Did we get anywhere with a logging version? 43 still is not working for me... but what's somewhat annoying is that when I run the version that still works (32) it quits saying that it's out of date  >:(

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Did we get anywhere with a logging version? 43 still is not working for me... but what's somewhat annoying is that when I run the version that still works (32) it quits saying that it's out of date  >:(

I  can upload a logging version tomorrow by all means. What happens with 43? Simply nothing appears when you type your trigger phrases?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30 PM »
I  can upload a logging version tomorrow by all means. What happens with 43? Simply nothing appears when you type your trigger phrases?

Yes... just sits there looking back at me  :( That's been the case since 32 (something changed, because 32 still works)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Build 47

New Features

* Button to re-index the Replacements, Completions etc. Use this if you are running this build after using an earlier version.
    * Faster hashing function, also with better mixing and differentials
    * Import feature to allow you to read in your own word and phrase lists, or simply parse your own documents to track frequently used words and phrases

Bug Fixes

* Auspex now checks to make sure you are not trying to create a mnemonic that already exists
    * Fixed (another!) bug in the tree view, this time when deleting an item
    * Fixed a bug when loading the current keyboard layout

Perry - does this one work for you now?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Ok ignore build 47 - compiled with completely the wrong settings and everything went bonkers.

Build 49 online.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2010, 09:30 PM »
49's a lot better  :-*

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Any chance of multiple selections in the tree?
(Handy for making a bunch of deletions.)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Any chance of multiple selections in the tree?
(Handy for making a bunch of deletions.)
-cranioscopical (October 23, 2010, 09:35 PM)

Yes! And in fact I'm also going to add a filter option: "select all thingies not used since date x, or only used once or whatever" type of thing...

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53 PM »
v 49

I really like the Import feature but still having problems minimizing : one way round is to click twice or thrice on the tray icon and then I can minimize.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32 PM »
v 49

I really like the Import feature but still having problems minimizing : one way round is to click twice or thrice on the tray icon and then I can minimize.

Ah ha! Thank you very much. Import seems to be a very popular feature. More improvements to come with that thing - I'm working in a way to extract frequently-used phrases too. Hard work, and will take a little while to run, but I hope would be very practical.

Thanks for the info on the minimizing. I may simply throw away the component I'm using and start again with that thing. And in which case that will have been the 3rd third-party thingy to have gone kablooie on me with this project.  :'(

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Perry - does this one work for you now?

.49  :up:

Except... it stops me entering text into Internet Explorer (8). I had to quit Auspex to type this.

What happens (it seems only to happen in IE) is that the Alt Menu gets triggered before the key strokes. So when I was trying to delete some of the above the window menu would display and no key strokes would be sent to the text area  :o

I've restarted Auspex now and it all works OK until the first trigger, then the input gets stollen...

BTW: when trying to insert "important" into this text area this is where the tooltip appeared:
Auspex important.jpgNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

After that the input was stollen and I had to quit Auspex to continue typing...

It does not seem to do that in other applications   :-\

In FireFox it's all OK I just typed this important bit in FireFox:
Auspex important FF.jpgNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

... and the menus are not stolen  :Thmbsup: (IE... who'd use it  >:( ... but lots of people do...)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:52 PM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2010, 06:39 PM »
One other little thing...

When changing the Name I got this error:
Auspex change Name.pngNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

Then (not sure if it was always like this??) but the "Remove this Entry" tick box does not change per entry:
Auspex change Name 2.pngNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

And note the entry: It says "Auspex" but it's "Perry Mowbray" in the tree...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Thanks Perry. I think the acc vio is now fixed, but I'll do a bit more testing before a new version... and I believe the weird naming in the tree is related, so all being well that'll be gone next time round.

I'll look into the IE thing. I must confess I don't use it and it's all too easy to forget that it's still by far the majority browser.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I'll look into the IE thing. I must confess I don't use it and it's all too easy to forget that it's still by far the majority browser.

I use FF illegally at work  ;)  There are other issues with DC on IE too (like the TextArea scrolling).

Have you thought about profiles? I was thinking the ability to switch between different settings could be quite handy if you have lots of entries in each and would mean I wouldn't need work.perry and private.perry to define the same type of data but different for different purposes.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54 AM »

I use FF illegally at work  ;)  There are other issues with DC on IE too (like the TextArea scrolling).

Have you thought about profiles? I was thinking the ability to switch between different settings could be quite handy if you have lots of entries in each and would mean I wouldn't need work.perry and private.perry to define the same type of data but different for different purposes.

Yes I have thought about profiles - now you've mentioned it  :D - such a good idea. Thanks Perry!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43 PM »
One other little quirky thing... I was trying to set up an auto-complete email address -- I'm pretty sure that Auspex doesn't like the punctuation.

Would it work to have an ignore punctuation for single entries?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Yes I have thought about profiles - now you've mentioned it  :D - such a good idea. Thanks Perry!

The other profile like thing I wondered about is having programmes that you want the entry to be active in: bit like your exceptions but the other way around.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2010, 05:12 PM »
One other little quirky thing... I was trying to set up an auto-complete email address -- I'm pretty sure that Auspex doesn't like the punctuation.

Would it work to have an ignore punctuation for single entries?

Should be ok: I have several emails addresses set up (e.g. t@m -> [email protected]. Would you mind sending me an example so I can try and spot what's going on?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Just FYI, I can create email auto-completes here.
Perry, when you set this up, you're not doing anything with the mnemonic field are you?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Auspex seems to be filling regardless  :-\

I must be doing something wrong as I keep getting errors trying to add these manually  :(

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Y'know what I all need to do? I all need to create a little video thingy on how to create Replacements and Completions, and in fact, demonstrate what the blimmin' difference is.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:16 PM by timns »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Perry, I'll be uploading a new build in  the next day or two with further stability enhancements... I  agree it's also not clear why Auspex fills the mnemonic field automatically sometimes. I'll be cleaning that sort of thing up when I get to the end of cranioscopical's bug list. So, around May... 2037  :Thmbsup: