topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Router Q: Bandwidth thottling  (Read 10112 times)

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Router Q: Bandwidth thottling
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Do any consumer routers support bandwidth throttling/packet shaping? 4-8 port router with wireless support.

It would really help in a family situation, prevent certain members of the family from hogging all the bandwidth due using peer to peer like apps for instance.

I have tried the QoS and like approach. Really doesn't seem to make a real difference.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Router Q: Bandwidth thottling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09 AM »
I have a young son who can use a lot of our Bandwidth at times, and I've found a gentle word will get him to throttle himself; he uses NetLimitter I think ...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I've found a gentle word will get him to throttle himself
-Perry Mowbray (August 01, 2010, 01:09 AM)

I should probably have posted this under new products and services but…
If all else fails, for a modest fee (plus expenses) I'll come round and throttle him for you  :)

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Check to see if the ASUS RT-N12 or ASUS RT-N13 fits your needs.  They can be found in Buy.com, Newegg.com, and jr.com. 

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04 PM »
I would just buy something compatible with DDWRT (list here: http://www.dd-wrt.co...es#Supported_Devices ) and use the throttling feautures built-in to the software.

- Oshyan

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I use an old Pentium II PC (with Linux) as a router/DNS/Gateway/DHCP/Proxy/Squid/Firewall. Throttling is relatively easy to do when you can have a dedicated PC to do this kind of "heavy lifting".

Actually I have two incoming connections and diverting which user uses which connection is also relatively easy to do as well. And with Squid I have a clear picture of what everybody in the household is doing on the net as well.

By using a dedicated PC, one can use whatever (external) modem that is available at any time (a dealbreaker in my case).

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I would just buy something compatible with DDWRT (list here: http://www.dd-wrt.co...es#Supported_Devices ) and use the throttling feautures built-in to the software.
- Oshyan

I was looking at DDWRT software/firmware but didn't come across anything concrete about bandwidth throttling.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Quite a lot of the Zyxel modem and router range support Media Bandwidth Management - they can throttle the bandwidth used depending on the traffic/IP/port/etc applicable to WAN/LAN/WLAN independently on a Priority or Fairness based model.

I use it to give priority to WLAN traffic and also throttle my downloader pc when there's HTML/email/etc traffic happening.

Otherwise, there is also cFosSpeed which I've used for years.  You can install it on all PCs and it will co-operatively prioritise the bandwidth among them giving P2P and other bulk protocols a lower priority.  It can also do online budgets based on time or volume, traffic analysis, usage graph and prioritise to favour ping time or bandwidth.

Personally, I think it's a great program and it certainly works for my network setup but you can try it for free for 30 days to see if it's suitable for your circumstances.

NOTE: I'm only a happy user of cFosSpeed, not in any way associated with the company.  I got my license for free, (by providing traffic data for my hardware/ISP), but I also bought another license.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:44 PM »
DD-WRT should do everything you need:
http://www.dd-wrt.co...p/Quality_of_Service

- Oshyan

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:11 PM »
DD-WRT should do everything you need:
http://www.dd-wrt.co...p/Quality_of_Service

- Oshyan

Interesting.. will have to take a look at using tc command. thanks!

@4wd - Zyxel is a bit out of my budget.. though I have had a zyxel router before and it's interface (gui) reminds me of Netgear.