topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: right-click to display geotagged image on map  (Read 20437 times)

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: right-click to display geotagged image on map
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I've googled hard for this and couldn't find an implementation.   I'ld like to be able to right-click on a geotagged image (prob jpeg with exif) within the windows file/image viewer, and select off the context menu an option to go to somehing like google earth/maps at the geotagged location.

Anyone here know how to do this kind of hack?

Thanks

Graham

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: right-click to display geotagged image on map
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Do you have an example image I could check out?

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Looks like the image I tried to upload failed, so I've put one on my web site which you can find at this directory:  http://www.gtoal.com/for_dc/ - right-click and 'save as' to save the jpg image once you've visited that link.

Thanks

Graham

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I have this mostly done.  Where did you want it to point to?  Straight to Google Maps like this?:

http://maps.google.c...33.065481,-98.570283

Or to something like GeoHack like this?:

http://toolserver.or...5.73_N_98_34_13.02_W

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Wow - either would be great!  I wasn't familiar with the geohacks page, and my suggestion was exactly your first link with the Google map, but now that I've seen your alternative suggestion I think I may prefer it.  You pick one - I'm not going to ask for any 'scope creep' when you're doing this as a quickie favour! :-)

Thanks

Graham (TX :-) )

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51 PM »
You pick one - I'm not going to ask for any 'scope creep' when you're doing this as a quickie favour! :-)

It's your software so feel free to choose the one you like.  Either one is the same work to implement (which is to say, hardly any work at all).    :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:25 AM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Alternately, I could pop up a little GUI that would offer buttons to allow you to choose either of them.  Your call.

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28 AM »
You pick one - I'm not going to ask for any 'scope creep' when you're doing this as a quickie favour! :-)

It's your software so feel free to chose the one you like.  Either one is the same work to implement (which is to say, hardly any work at all).    :D

Well, for the sake of simplicity I'll pick the plain Google version (one less click to get to the map).

(The 'scope creep' option I had at the back of my mind was a registry entry which if present would be used in preference to the default URL format string - which would also add a little future-proofing in case Google changed their URL.)

Graham

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Any preference on the context menu entry text?  

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Any preference on the context menu entry text? 

Assuming the context menu only shows for jpegs (.jpg and .jpeg, i.e. we don't need to put the word "photo" or "picture" in the text to explain what we're geolocating), then simply "Geolocate" would be enough. I was in two minds about something in more plain English such as "Locate on map" but with all those other services available at the geohacks site, such as finding photographs taken nearby, it might not always be as simple as placing it on a map; whereas 'geolocate' is vague enough to cover all the options.

I don't expect the right-click menu to know in advance whether an image has a geo tag or not, that's too fancy and I doubt it's even possible.

If there's no latlon info in the file, will you be putting up an error box, or just bringing up a map with no pointers placed?  (If there's a choice I think I'd prefer an error box but whatever is easiest...)

thanks,

Graham

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Assuming the context menu only shows for jpegs (.jpg and .jpeg, i.e. we don't need to put the word "photo" or "picture" in the text to explain what we're geolocating),

The context menu will show for all types of files since other image types besides jpegs can contain EXIF data.

then simply "Geolocate" would be enough.

Sounds good to me.

I don't expect the right-click menu to know in advance whether an image has a geo tag or not, that's too fancy and I doubt it's even possible.

Correct, I can't know in advance without scanning the file.

If there's no latlon info in the file, will you be putting up an error box, or just bringing up a map with no pointers placed?  (If there's a choice I think I'd prefer an error box but whatever is easiest...)

The app traps for the complete lack of EXIF data as well as the lack of GPS data within existing EXIF data.  A typical message box is shown and the app exits after the user clicks okay.  Cool?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Give this a try, please:  GeoLocate download

Let me know how it goes.  Thanks.

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Thanks!  I'll try it at home tonight (don't have any geotagged images at work).  Unfortunately I have to be out late this evening so I'll report back tomorrow morning.

Graham

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Before I start my report, I need to explain that I missed the automatic notification that you had posted on the 3rd, and only spotted your post with the download this morning when I was checking up on the site to see what was new.  My apologies, it must have looked rude not to reply for a couple of days after you released the program.

So... for me it worked great, exactly what I asked for and I'm delighted with the results.  Unfortunately it's my wife who has the most geotagged photos and there was a problem when she tried it.  Running the exe to register and create the uninstaller didn't work - both dialogues popped up fine and it appeared to work, but the uninstaller wasn't created and there was no handler added to the right-clicks.  We're guessing it's because she's running 64bit Windows 7 - either a 64 bit issue or something to do with Windows 7 security and that she was trying to run it in a Program Files subdirectory.  (I'll experiment more with that tomorrow when I can borrow her machine for more than a few minutes...)

That was the only failure; there were also two usability issues that are very minor, one of which I've already mentioned so I'll gloss over (which is that the option shows up for all files, not just image files.  But I appreciate that writing something like the setup of photoshop where you get a chance to associate the program with various extensions is way overkill, although personally I'ld be happy it if were only associated with jpegs as those are the only ones I'm ever likely to tag); the other usability issue is very minor indeed: the report for an image with no exif info is "No exif data found in file. Aborting".  To me it's more a null success than an error - saying 'Aborting' sounds like something is going wrong in a more serious way.  I would just have it say "Image does not contain map coordinates".

So overall, very good piece of code.  It'll come in very handy for me when I copy our family photo collection from my wife's machine to mine this weekend.

Thank you,

Graham

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:56 PM »
Before I start my report, I need to explain that I missed the automatic notification that you had posted on the 3rd, and only spotted your post with the download this morning when I was checking up on the site to see what was new.  My apologies, it must have looked rude not to reply for a couple of days after you released the program.

No worries.  I just figure folks get busy with other stuff.   :D

So... for me it worked great, exactly what I asked for and I'm delighted with the results.  Unfortunately it's my wife who has the most geotagged photos and there was a problem when she tried it.  Running the exe to register and create the uninstaller didn't work - both dialogues popped up fine and it appeared to work, but the uninstaller wasn't created and there was no handler added to the right-clicks.  We're guessing it's because she's running 64bit Windows 7 - either a 64 bit issue or something to do with Windows 7 security and that she was trying to run it in a Program Files subdirectory.  (I'll experiment more with that tomorrow when I can borrow her machine for more than a few minutes...)

Under Vista/Win7, users will almost certainly have to run this in administrator mode.

That was the only failure; there were also two usability issues that are very minor, one of which I've already mentioned so I'll gloss over (which is that the option shows up for all files, not just image files.  But I appreciate that writing something like the setup of photoshop where you get a chance to associate the program with various extensions is way overkill, although personally I'ld be happy it if were only associated with jpegs as those are the only ones I'm ever likely to tag); the other usability issue is very minor indeed: the report for an image with no exif info is "No exif data found in file. Aborting".  To me it's more a null success than an error - saying 'Aborting' sounds like something is going wrong in a more serious way.  I would just have it say "Image does not contain map coordinates".

I've changed the error messages to your suggestion.  Please re-download.

So overall, very good piece of code.  It'll come in very handy for me when I copy our family photo collection from my wife's machine to mine this weekend.
Thank you,

You're welcome.  This was unique one to write.  I may package this up and release on my regular Skwire Empire site.  Thanks for the idea.

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Picasa does this!
I upload photos that have been geotagged by my Eye-Fi card.
Then, when viewing them in an 'album' on the Picasa web site, I can select one and a small Google map appears that shows the 'pin' for that location.

I hope I did not burst anyone's bubble.  I just saw this post for the first time.

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Picasa does this!
I upload photos that have been geotagged by my Eye-Fi card.
Then, when viewing them in an 'album' on the Picasa web site, I can select one and a small Google map appears that shows the 'pin' for that location.

I hope I did not burst anyone's bubble.  I just saw this post for the first time.

It's OK, it's not the same thing at all.  You're talking about photos on a web site (or possibly inside the Picasa program) - What Jody wrote for us does thie same thing but for files on your disk in a regular directory.

regards,

Graham "It takes more than a prikkelpop to burst my bubbles" Toal.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01 AM »
gtoal, can we call this one done after the latest changes?

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55 AM »
gtoal, can we call this one done after the latest changes?

Yes of course, sorry I didn't realise we did a formal sign off.  (This is the first time someone here has implemented one of my suggestions.  Actually it may be the first time I've actually posted a suggestion now I think of it :-) )

Yes, it's done, and it's a good piece of code which I really hope other folks will also find useful.  Much appreciated, thanks.

Graham

lothark

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:42 AM »
Great idea, and I'd love this utility to work for me, but its operation at present is inconsistent.

First, it seems to depend on which camera an image came from. Second, it won't find the GPS data in an original image, but it will find it in a resized version of the same image. Third, when it does find the GPS data and displays it in Google maps, the location is incorrect, getting the sign of the longitude wrong.

Here are some images taken in Carcassone France that illustrate this problem.

Can't find GPS data for this original image.
The resized version of the same image goes to incorrect Google Maps location - West instead of East longitude. Camera is Nikon D80.

It does find the GPS data for this original image, but shows the location as West instead of East. Camera is Panasonic DMC-FX30.

I'm using GeoLocate version 1.0.0.16, downloaded today.

jojo99

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 10:09 PM »
You guys may want to read this article on potential security risks with goetagging:
========
When Web Photos Reveal More Than You Intend
By KATE MURPHY
Published: August 11, 2010

When Adam Savage, host of the popular science program "Mythbusters," posted a picture on Twitter of his automobile parked in front of his house, he let his fans know much more than that he drove a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Adam Savage, host of the popular science program "Mythbusters," posted a picture on Twitter of his automobile parked in front of his house that was geotagged.

Embedded in the image was a geotag, a bit of data providing the longitude and latitude of where the photo was taken. Hence, he revealed exactly where he lived. And since the accompanying text was "Now it's off to work," potential thieves knew he would not be at home.

Security experts and privacy advocates have recently begun warning about the potential dangers of geotags, which are embedded in photos and videos taken with GPS-equipped smartphones and digital cameras. Because the location data is not visible to the casual viewer, the concern is that many people may not realize it is there; and they could be compromising their privacy, if not their safety, when they post geotagged media online.

http://www.nytimes.c...altech/12basics.html

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Great idea, and I'd love this utility to work for me, but its operation at present is inconsistent.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have the lat/lon issue fixed but I'm still working on the other one.

umeca74

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 09:08 AM »
when I first saw this post, I thought I wasted my time creating a shell extension to do just the same thing!
www.zabkat.com/blog/show-on-map-explorer-menu.htm

however it seems that this GeoLocate.exe tool has a bug with pictures in the southern hemisphere, e.g. a pic from Sydney shows up next to Hawaii!? Looks like it gets the negative longitude and latitude coordinates with the wrong sign. Anyway, the tool I made works as expected, regardless of the location of the pictures