topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Seeking old (98SE?) LAN aware Post-It clone ...  (Read 5143 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seeking old (98SE?) LAN aware Post-It clone ...
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Folk,

Back around Win98/SE, there was a handy little app that was a network-aware Post-It note clone.  'Twas lost many crashes/upgrades agone, but I'd certainly like to find whether it still exists.

After I showed it to a compatriot in the Field Engineering department, it became somewhat of a mailbomb tool, as it would send notes to any registered network address, even if that address was currently off line.  Very handy, but also very frustrating if, when you logged onto the LAN, you suddenly received fifty (50) message windows   :'(  ;D.

Dunno if it still exists on the Web, nor whether it would run with Win7, but I'd surely like to find it again.

If memory serves,
  • it would store notes locally (history)
  • it would send notes to a specified LAN user regardless of that user's online status (delayed delivery)
  • it would allow near-IM communication (quick)
  • it was a low-resource resident app residing in the System Tray (now the Notification Area  :huh:).

I'm in a situation where such - the discrete history, in particular - would be extremely convenient:  much faster than email, but same history record could be maintained.

Anybody recall seeing it, perhaps recall a name? 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Seeking old (98SE?) LAN aware Post-It clone ...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Maybe Magic Notes, shareware?

Somebody may mention Zhorn Software's freeware Stickies, but I could never get it to work on Win98SE, despite the author's help.  Something to do with the JET database I think.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Sorry, I may have mislead with the 98SE thing.  Intend to run in on Win7, maybe XP SP3 or a Linux distro with WinE or Virtual Box.  Just used the 98 reference to put a time frame for when it was first discovered.

Not wild about the way Stickies handles net stuff, although it works great for document notes - Web pages, scripts, and the like - since a note can be attached such that it only shows when that document is being displayed.

I'll take a look at Magic Notes - a bit pricey, methinks, but worth it if it'll do what's needed.  Don't think it's the one I [don't] remember, but didn't much expect to find that one still extant, anyway  :o.

Thanks for the reference  :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I can't recall what the forerunner was to Notezilla, but have you looked into it?
Here's the link to its network ability

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah, but Notezilla is much too dear for this purpose.  Even if Stickies networkability doesn't really impress me, it is - drumroll - free.

On the other hand, given a commercial environment, Notezilla has some definite pluses  ;D.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:37 PM »
It might help to take a look at this thread which mentions plenty of different sticky note products, both freeware and shareware.

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=18605.0

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 12:45 AM »
Did that first ... but didn't find what's required.  Mind you, I'd love to use some of 'em, but I'm up against a client request, and she is not particularly amenable to reason  :-[.  Typical, "I can't say what I want, but I'll know it when I see it."  She's recalcitrant - {mulish? | pig-headed? | [insert your adjective of choice here]} - to accept any judgment/opinion except her own  :'(.  Didja ever get into a contract - as a favor - you wished you'd declined?  I'm there  :-[.  So I'm constrained to try to find something that probably does not any longer exist, and likely would not function in current Windows versions.  Frustrating, but there it is.

Edit:  correct typos.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Hmmm.  On further reflection, perhaps ATnotes, free, discontinued, but still available?  If I recall correctly, it was the most popular free one until Zhorn Software's Stickies arrived.

Edit (1): Last version of ATnotes is 9.5.  It was officially discontinued on 30 May 2005, if that helps with the time frame.

Edit (2): The ATnotes site suggests Gizmo's list for freeware sticky notes.  The exact page is Best Free Sticky Notes Utility.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:41 AM by rjbull »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Awesome! :Thmbsup:
Memory responded as soon as you mention ATnotes ... last time I used it was ~2001, and memory that far back must needs be jogged  ;D.

This should please the old broad (her naming, not mine, and soon to be her site name(?)  ;)), and we can get on with her task(s).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Memory responded as soon as you mention ATnotes ... last time I used it was ~2001, and memory that far back must needs be jogged  ;D.

Glad to be of help, and thanks for the very generous DC credits  :)

I had about 25 files in my files\Windows\Sticky_notes file stash, some of them just different versions of each other.  ATnotes was first in the list, so an easy memory jog.