topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer Big Summer Art Madness! - Lifetime License on 50%  (Read 16309 times)

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Discount offer on XYplorer file manager, 50% off (Reviewed here <click> ) till Sunday, 08 August 2010

Who made the grass?

Big Summer Art Madness!
Get the XYplorer Lifetime License for half of the regular price by showing off your art knowledge!
Note that this special offer only supports PayPal as payment service.
Note that this is a limited time offer that will end on Sunday, August 15th 2010!
changed the deadline for the grass promotion to Sunday, 08 August 2010 (one week less)

Clipboard01.png
XYplorer - License Lounge - Grass.png

Take an look at your own and guess the right artist (Hint: take an look at the picture above ;-) ) >>> http://www.xyplorer.com/grass.php

XYplorerDualPane.png

More Screenshots >>> http://www.xyplorer.com/shots.htm

More about XYplorer:
http://www.xyplorer.com/
http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.htm

XYplorer - A Windows File Manager and Explorer Replacement - (2010-07-17).png

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:44 PM by AbteriX »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer Big Summer Art Madness! - Lifetime License on 50%
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:23 AM »
be ready to answer, "Which famous artist made the painting from which we have taken this grass?>>

header-turf-nonfirst.jpg

Pablo Picasso ~ Johann Sebastian Bach ~ Christina Aguilera ~ Chuck Berry ~ Georg Friedrich Händel ~ Iron Maiden ~ Hans Arp ~ HR Giger ~ Douglas Adams ~ Irvine Welsh ~ Andy Warhol ~ Albrecht Dürer ~ Bastian Pastewka ~ Michelangelo Buonarroti ~ Diego Armando Maradona ~ Lena Meyer-Landrut, or Jean-Luc Godard ?"
 :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:11 AM by Curt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Wow - unless you have a friend like Curt, you may need to be prepared to make several guesses for your discount... 

I wonder if this quiz for a discount might end up frustrating more people than making happy new customers? 

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Good gosh, German watercolor paintings? 

Somebody cue the Jeopardy music.  ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Wow - unless you have a friend like Curt, you may need to be prepared to make several guesses for your discount...  

I wonder if this quiz for a discount might end up frustrating more people than making happy new customers?  

I took the offer on XYplorer. But the thing won't register. I have followed the procedure very carefully. Did you try this? (yeah; I can hear you now: "is he asking if I ever have tried to follow the procedure?" No, I mean, did you try XYplorer not registering?!!) I have of course mailed the author, but so far he just mailed me the procedures again.
 :tellme:

Edit:
It turns out the first auto-generated key was wrong. Mystery solved!

Hi Curt,

just to explain what happened: You were the very first user who took the "grass-offer", and since this was my first promotion ever of this type, I promptly made a little mistake when setting up the discount generating order form. :) The generations coming after you will profit from your pioneering experience. ;)

Enjoy the app,
Don
-Don from XYplorer

I was the first to take offer!! Why? Is it that mwb1100 was right, that people don't care to solve the mystery, "just" to save $35?? Hmm.. If people don't come to our forum, to get the answer, member DonL might not sell too many XYplorers, via this offer!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:32 AM by Curt »

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56 AM »
I was the first to take offer!! Why?
Maybe because the offer just started on July 16, and was only announced
on the XYplorer forum and as an hint on the "purchase"-page?
So people at DC forum may be the first (after XY forum members) who has know about that offer.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I don't actually have any clue about who made it, lol.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Yeah, I didn't either until I read Curt's clue a third time.  Then I followed his link and got my answer...<for those of you like me, who don't figure it out the first time.>

I saw this special on the site already, but when I saw the drop down as Curt listed, I said to myself "who the heck are ____?" (fill in the blank for several of them, including the answer).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Well, I knew them all AFAICS. Anyway, I found out that there's no need to know it anyway...

OK, now I got two file manager licenses.  :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Well, I knew them all AFAICS. Anyway, I found out that there's no need to know it anyway...

OK, now I got two file manager licenses.  :D

all you need now is TC . . . lol
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:17 PM »
TC? Never.  ;D
Too ugly, too less integration with Windows Explorer. Having to install proprietary plug-ins for functions already implemented as Explorer extensions is a no-go. (Plus, there are so many free TC clones out there...)

I think four third-party FMs are enough for now. Although I only use two of them actively, x² and FAR...
OK, getting a bit OT here. I'll stop it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:27 PM »
ah yes :)
seen you having a dig on a TC thread lately so thought I'd get one back ;)
XY is a very nice file manager so enjoy!
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Yes, I've been playing with it for a while now before considering to use it legally. In fact, it is nice but has some rough edges left to explore. I guess most "missing" things can be handled with scripting, so I won't complain. (The scripting engine is great at least.)

Spending some more time these days. Thank you for your wishes.  ;D 8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46 AM »
I was surprised not to see a bunch of (obvious) feature options, in XYplorer. So, if I don't care to learn some scripting, I might not be satisfied with XYplorer. Is that it?

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:36 AM »
I was surprised not to see a bunch of (obvious) feature options, in XYplorer. So, if I don't care to learn some scripting, I might not be satisfied with XYplorer. Is that it?

I would definitely suggest you use the trial period to evaluate it fully before you purchase. Many of the features in XY are great, but it is lacking a few things you might expect to be there. Using the evaluation period well is of course sound advice for any piece of shareware :Thmbsup:.

Oh and spend a little time reading the forums, they give some valuable insight into the level of support.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07 AM »

I'm only a casual user and am definitely not an advanced one.
I know it currently can't open a zip file as a file folder - but it looks like it *might* get 'proper' zip management soon.

a couple of my favourite features:
- that you can custom multiple file associations = on opening a file with Alt+Enter you are presented with a choice of programmes to open the file with (needs a little initial setup work - it's easy to do).
- that it keeps a selected file in the same place in a list no matter how you sort the list (minor - but it's a real treat if you use file sorting much)
- very good search
Tom

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44 AM »

I would definitely suggest you use the trial period to evaluate it fully before you purchase.
That comes too late, i assume  :P

I too missed thinks as i first worked with XYplorer, the same was with TotalCommander (and there even more if you just use the default menu layout only and didn't know something about plugins)
but over time i found things or  i learned that they are just implemented in an other way.

What do you miss? Maybe someone can point you?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I find it strange that SO MANY people insist on integrated zip support, yet XY doesn't have it.  Personally, I find that as a feature, since I prefer using my choice of archive tool(s) for opening, archiving, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I understand people wanting to view the contents of an archive natively, I just don't use it that way - it would make me want to do file operations on it. :P

Now plugging in my choice of applications to handle this - that is a useful option.  And in XY, that is called scripting (though depending on how fancy you want to get, it may not be trivial to do).  So for me, this is a good thing.  

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I know it currently can't open a zip file as a file folder - but it looks like it *might* get 'proper' zip management soon.

Yes I got my hopes up as well, but it appears Don dropped the idea again after a little discussion on the XYplorer forums.

At any rate, it's an excellent file manager, and like all of them there is stuff it does not do. Just give it a spin and find out if you can live without them :Thmbsup:.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:34 PM by Jibz »

j_hallgren

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Yes I got my hopes up as well, but it appears Don dropped the idea again after a little discussion on the XYplorer forums.
I don't think he totally dropped the idea, but he did defer it until September at http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=49493#p49493

This is my first post here with this ID...I may possibly have registered back in 2007 but can't locate any clues to ID that I used then so signed up now.

XY fans will recognize me from those forums where I'm a very active poster because I think it's a great product  :-* and Don can use the help.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 11:26 AM »
This is my first post here with this ID...
-j_hallgren
Thanks for coming by, and thanks for your XYplorer Updates blog

j_hallgren

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 01:53 PM »
This is my first post here with this ID...
-j_hallgren
Thanks for coming by, and thanks for your XYplorer Updates blog
-cranioscopical (July 24, 2010, 11:26 AM)
:redface: I try my best to keep my XYplorer blog up to date but given Don's speed of development plus my limitations on time with summer business plus some vison issues, it can be hard for me to keep up with the current beta vers! I try my best but I can get up to a week or so behind...I created the blog for a few reasons:
  • Promote XY in another way to help increase its visibility
  • Provide an easy/alternate way to search update notes other than XY beta forum
  • Provide a way for users to get update notes via email or RSS

Hopefully it's useful to some people out there! I've spent hundreds of hours on it, and just so people know: I get NO financial rewards from Don for all the time I've spent on blog and forums and such...it's a labor of love, and I even still donate some $$ every year to Don.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Hmm, mail notification about XY updates is already done via the beta forums.  :)

j_hallgren

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Hmm, mail notification about XY updates is already done via the beta forums.  :)
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I couldn't find a way to do it at the time that I began the blog...but Don updated the forum software since so that may factor into it...and I'm still not sure how one would do so because although I had subscribed to that thread, it just told me (I think) that there are new replies but not the formatted contents of that post with links and such.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:13 PM by j_hallgren »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Indeed, no contents, but that a new version is out. Enough for me, at least. :)