topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Should Apple recall the iPhone4? Or should the user "Hold the phone the right"?  (Read 23745 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I totally agree that Jobs' comparisons were a bad idea, as was his whole persona during the conference.  I think that the words said in regards to solving the issue were good:

He said they will waive re-stocking fees on the iPhone, it seems like they're giving an out. 
He also said that for those who choose to keep it (or still buy it), they're giving the bumpers which solve the problem.

I'd hazard a guess that we'll see a refresh before they manufacture more, but are also trying to get the ones that are in the chain sold as they do.  But the original question was should they do a recall.  They didn't...  does anyone think they still should given that this is not a safety concern and they did address consumers of the product?

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
I'm not sure...
But there's something that definitely sounded a bit incorrect in their doings.
They never presented any kind of bumper / case along side a new phone, so that point to them having knowledge of the problem and trying to rub it off. Also, there's no way they couldn't have expect that a naked, exposed antenna could bear problems like those.

I think the obvious way to keep up with that design would have been some kind of insulating coating or some other kind of supercifial treatment, but that may have been skipped due to costs or not having the ability to process enough to meet the initial demand.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Apple will also offer refunds to customers who have already bought the Bumper, Apple's only case for the iPhone 4. Those who have already bought third-party cases are not assured of a refund, though Jobs said those who did want their money back can write to Apple and "we'll consider the request."

Emphasis added.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find it amusing how many people are attacking sites like consumer reports for still not recommending the phone. To me, it makes sense to not recommend the product unless the issue that caused them to not recommend it has been fixed. This issue has not been fixed. A workaround has been given.

It still leads me to wonder if the cases will be given with each new iPhone4 or if they will only be given if the user requests them. If the latter is the case, then that sounds wrong to me as many users will remain unaware and think their phone has an issue which could be avoided with a free addon from Apple.

The other part of the issue which urks me is the fact that this free offer expires. What about new phones purchased after 30 September? Will users of the affected phones be able to swap for a working model once, if, the issue is fixed in a future design? If not, then this issue will just reappear as news in September when the free offer expires.

This whole situation leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth for Apple.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I find it amusing how many people are attacking sites like consumer reports for still not recommending the phone. To me, it makes sense to not recommend the product unless the issue that caused them to not recommend it has been fixed. This issue has not been fixed. A workaround has been given.

The "attacks" I've seen against Consumer Reports is that CR themselves have rated the iPhone 4 as the best smartphone out there, yet at the same time they also do not recommend getting it because of a major design flaw.

It seems wholly contradictory on Consumer Reports' part.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The other part of the issue which urks me is the fact that this free offer expires. What about new phones purchased after 30 September? Will users of the affected phones be able to swap for a working model once, if, the issue is fixed in a future design? If not, then this issue will just reappear as news in September when the free offer expires.

It doesn't expire in September.  What he said was that they would take a look at it in September to see if this was still the way to go, i.e. is there another way to correct the problem at that time.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.slate.com/id/2260619
Farhad Manjoo of Slate said the press conference came with an overly “condescending” message. He summed up the event’s message this way:

Still, if you want to be a total jerk about it and keep insisting there’s a problem with your magical iPhone, Jobs has an offer for you. “OK, great, let’s give everybody a case,” he said. Happy now, whiners?

I just wish Jobs could have handled this mini-crisis in a classier way. His data clearly show that the new iPhone is dropping more calls than the old one. He could have admitted a problem, offered a fix, and said, "We're sorry for any trouble we caused you." Instead, he sounded wounded and paranoid, as if we were all being ungrateful for not recognizing Apple's contributions to the world. "We love our users so much we've built 300 Apple retail stores for them," he claimed at one point. Wow, thanks, Steve—all this time, I thought you built those stores just to sell stuff! He said that a Bloomberg Business Week report that he'd been warned about potential antenna problems was "total bullshit." At another point, he asked a questioner, bizarrely, "What would you prefer, that we're a Korean company? Do you not like the fact that we're an American company leading the world right here?"

What I'd prefer, since Jobs is asking, is a company that doesn't pee on my leg and tell me it's the "most revolutionary rain storm ever!" A free case is all well and good. Just lose the attitude, Steve. You screwed up. We know it. You know it. Just admit it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
“OK, great, let’s give everybody a case,” he said.

It seems that the wounded paranoia is being inferred more from the writer... that quote is a lot different than the previous one in tone and such, at least from the writing.  And he didn't sound condescending when he was on the press conference at all IMO- the idea to include the other manufacturers in his 'study' was just ill-advised.

Other than that, they've done everything they could at this point IMO.

1. Offered refunds
2. Offered a case if you don't want refunds
3. Said they'd revisit in September

I just don't see what else people could want, personally.  They want mea culpas with their fix- for Apple (by way of Steve Jobs) to be humbled.  You're entitled to a fix- not a mea culpa based on what you think happened (i.e. that they knew about it before it was released).

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
This Video show in an extremely clear way that the "Death Grip" issue is totally different from what happen with other phones when you cover some spots.

http://vimeo.com/12864890

So, no Steve, this doesn't happen with other phones. Not at all!  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:15 PM by Mark0 »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This Video show in an extremely clear way that the "Death Grip" issue is totally different from what happen with other phones when you cover some spots. So, no Steve, this doesn't happen with other phones. Not at all!  :)

Death grip? Try one finger in the video. Amazing. My question always is: Really Jobs, really? You didn't NOTICE this before final approval?

Point is, Jobs' response to this problem tells us a lot about the man and his ego -- when a billionaire can't control the world, he gets pissy with the rest of us.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A band-aid, what a fantastic idea.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Samsung responded:

;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
heheh, brilliant.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Even more from Samsung:

electronista - Samsung UK giving away Galaxy S to jaded iPhone 4 owners

Samsung UK's attempt to jab Apple is now known to also include giveaways of free phones. Some iPhone 4 owners complaining of reception problems, whether directly related to the "death grip" or not, are being offered free Galaxy S phones, in some cases receiving them the same day as the notice. The Korean company explained the handouts as a way to "spread the word."