topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [IDEA] Plugin for zotero, building off of gnotero for gnome  (Read 5510 times)

uries62

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use zotero, (a reference manager like endnote) with firefox to keep track of all my references.  I recently discovered a ubuntu / debian package that uses python to copy and then access the sqlite database within zotero to find references and their connected pdf's provided by a search for a specific date or author name. 

The package is gnotero http://www.cs.vu.nl/...dex.php?page=gnotero and looks to be entirely written in python with a zoterotools module, and a module used to create a dialog box in the gnome window manager. 

I think I remember that you could write plugins in python with Fscript, but wasn't entirely sure how to start. 

I guess I have two basic questions. 

Can you program and access external modules in python through FARR so I can get the input and output functionality as in gnotero, also can you output the information in FARR similar to the way it is shown on the linked page?

I have been using FARR for at least 3 years, but haven't gotten into plugins until now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [IDEA] Plugin for zotero, building off of gnotero for gnome
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Great question..

I believe it is possible to use Python to make a plugin for FARR using ecaradec's FScript.. but i'm not sure exactly how.
Let me also say that i think having a good python plugin example (especially one that used sqllite) would be sooo useful for future farr plugin writers.
So i really hope you follow through on this.

DC member ewemoa has recently written a lua wrapper to make lua farr plugins but he is still testing it, and he and i have talked about possibly making a python version of it as well, that would work a little differently than ecaradec's Fscript wrapper.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:38 PM »
That's interesting... does that mean that a "centralised" scripting host may be getting closer?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:19 AM »
I believe it is possible to use Python to make a plugin for FARR using ecaradec's FScript.. but i'm not sure exactly how.
I think we had some luck with this before -- sort of:

https://www.donation....msg155926#msg155926

However, at the time, I remember concluding that it didn't seem practical to work with Python via FScript particularly because it seemed hard to figure out when things go wrong (e.g. no debugging support and no meaningful error messages).