topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Elastic Lists - The Possible Future of Semantic Search  (Read 6487 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Elastic Lists - The Possible Future of Semantic Search
« on: June 17, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Source: http://moritz.stefan...jects/elastic-lists/

Elastic lists allow to navigate large, multi-dimensional info spaces with just a few clicks, never letting you run into situations with zero results. They enhance traditional UI approaches for facet browsers by visualizing weight proportions, animated transitions, emphasis of characteristic values and sparkline visualizations

NY Times Article search demo: (Warning requires Javascript)

http://moritz.stefan...s/elastic-lists/NYT/

Forgot where I got the link:

http://thenoisychann...rch-now-open-source/

facet-principle.gif

To me, it shows everything that can go wrong with faceted search. Try a search for [google] in that demo. If you have the reaction I did, you’ll hit immediate paradox of choice from all the options presented, many of which seem almost random.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of faceted search when implemented well. I’m just not sure this is the best example of a well done implementation?

That demo has issues, but I don’t think those damn elastic lists per se. Some of my criticisms: too many facet values as refinement options, lack of parallelism (e.g., locations aren’t hierarchical and some options should be children of others), lack of normalization of organizations (e.g., google and google inc.), and a confusing description facet (e.g., choices include “computer software” and “software”). In contrast, the Nobel Prize demo strikes me as a much better demo of elastic lists.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Elastic Lists - The Possible Future of Semantic Search
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:14 AM »
Very interesting!

That demo has issues, but I don’t think those damn elastic lists per se. Some of my criticisms: too many facet values as refinement options, lack of parallelism (e.g., locations aren’t hierarchical and some options should be children of others), lack of normalization of organizations (e.g., google and google inc.), and a confusing description facet (e.g., choices include “computer software” and “software”). In contrast, the Nobel Prize demo strikes me as a much better demo of elastic lists.

Good observation there.

The thing there is the size... You need a very high degree of normalization in order to get that interface correct. The top navigation represents how the data is normalized to drill down into.

The overall concept is nothing new --- filtered results. The implementation is novel, and even slick.

It would be nice if there were some programming components that could do that. Well, Excel has it built in kind-of, as does Access. But nice elastic interfaces like that would be nice. (Good choice on the name for it as well.)

I can think of some immediate applications that I could use it for right now. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker