topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Advantages of Chrome's Session Saving Extensions over other browsers  (Read 5849 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FreshStart - https://chrome.googl...lfimjcedenagjfacpobb

*Improves upon this topic's premise

Sessions Manager is a great feature, but it's suffering from immature development. Currently, we can't edit or modify session's content, it's UI is hidden deep within Menu bar, & sometime older session will overwrite the browser's current settings with an older settings...etc. Thus, I'm going to show you how to utilize your bookmarks folder to create a superior version of Sessions manager.

Edit/Modify/Merge any session

Click on the toolbar button and if you have any session saved, click on the right hand side of the name and click edit. This allows you to add the current tab or remove tabs that are included in the session by checking or unchecking them.

Page Monitor - https://chrome.googl...ciniebenbfclihhmmfcd

✓ Monitor any number of pages for changes.
 ✓ One-click adding of pages.
 ✓ Smart comparison system that ignores ads and code changes.
 ✓ Highlighting of changes that happened to a page since the last check.
 ✓ Set separate check interval for each page.
 ✓ Set a sound alert when a page change is detected.
 ✓ Ability to track parts of a page with regular expressions (for expert users).
 ✓ Ability to track parts of a page with CSS/jQuery selectors (for expert users).
 ✓ NEW! Desktop notifications.
 ✓ NEW! Custom sound alerts.
 ✓ NEW! Import and export the monitored pages list.

Unread bookmarks - https://chrome.googl...ggjcbpnjlpfclfeicpei

Watch-list folders - Think Firefox's live bookmarks except for ReadItLater-like bookmarks instead of RSS. Incidentally there is no live bookmarks for Chrome currently that I'm aware of. Although there is this.

Sorry if this isn't much. I tried to omit any similar features any Firefox extension or Opera has. With Page Monitor I mentioned it because I think the ui is easier while with unread bookmarks, it's more about being less complicated than the ReadItLater extension although for true quick bookmarking you need something like Cheese Cake alongside it.

Incidentally there's Incredible Start Page which changes the Chrome Dial into a Post-it send to gmail/gcal and show bookmark and trash can hybrid list.

It's not as easy as Opera Notes to open and I haven't tested it but it gives a different experience from the other browsers.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Paul
I dont have Chrome installed - yet - but I'm a big fan of 'Sessions' in general - in FF I have the "Session Manager" extension, but it has been a buggy here since recent FF updates (since FF 3.5 I think even)
So, I must try this out...

(also I love the 'session saver' ability in Directory Opus file manager (saved lister layouts) but that's veering very off-topic ;) )
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No problem. I mostly held back on Chrome too until the stable Linux version was released and FreshStart supported exporting and importing of sessions.

I also didn't realize session manager has turned buggy. That's too bad, it was my preferred session manager on FF because it was the most stable.

Opera didn't help matters either. The new default chrome user interface is worse than Chrome's. There's a little bit of space above the tabs and I nowadays keep missing my mouse click when trying to switch tabs.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Funny, I recently lost a browsing session in Chrome when I had a bluescreen. No plugins/extensions being used though. Maybe I need one...

Still, Opera and FF recovered just fine.

- Oshyan

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I wouldn't touch Chrome back then for that reason.

I'm not sure if it's better now but I could attest to at least FreshStart doing some form of crash recovery.

I was confused why my session didn't recover especially when I closed it properly and then I spotted the restore previous session option on that extension and it recovered it.

That said, even today, I don't trust Firefox's sessions over session manager's.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I take back what I said, after reading the comments here, I found out that there is a skin to fix this issue:

http://my.opera.com/.../skins/info/?id=9491

Now the real wallbanger is why this isn't set up by default since it was shown that all it needs is a skin lift. I mean how many people would search for top tab gap skin to fix this issue? /rant