topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [HELP REQUEST] Please quickly review my new Twitter client  (Read 27023 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Hello All,

If anyone has time, would they please quickly have a look at my new Twitter client, Twittle Twiddle Tweeter for Twitter. (This is RC1 pending any reviews.)

It's designed to be unobtrusive and simple to use, so don't expect it to do everything. It's meant to be an easy way to tweet without any fuss. It is not meant to be a comprehensive, do it all, Twitter client. 

Here's a quick preview:

Help-Simple.png

Also, I have one specific question about a "just for fun" feature I thought about adding in... Tweet to a specific page for Twittle Twiddle Tweeter for all tweets from all users. Bad idea? Opt in/out? Stick it in the options context menu? I think it would be fun, but it does have privacy implications... Not too sure about it...

Thanks in advance for any comments or feedback.

Ryan
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [HELP REQUEST] Please quickly review my new Twitter client
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:38 AM »
looks nice, i wonder if there is non-install version available? couldn't find on the website. btw, adding a char count would be helpful with twitter's 140 char limit. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:37 AM »
looks nice, i wonder if there is non-install version available? couldn't find on the website. btw, adding a char count would be helpful with twitter's 140 char limit. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't do a non-install version as it uses a DLL, so it's kind of messy like that. I'll see if I can get one done that isn't all messy and icky (it wasn't very high on my priority list, and there are a couple time-consuming complications because of that).

For the character count, it's in the title bar. I wanted to keep things as clean as possible with as little additional clutter. That's why it's there. I thought that it would be obvious enough as it changes as you type (the whole reptilian brain thing and movement and all that jazz). Any suggestions or ideas on what might work better? Put it in the "Tweet" button? (A few problems with that though.)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27 PM »
I didn't do a non-install version as it uses a DLL, so it's kind of messy like that. I'll see if I can get one done that isn't all messy and icky (it wasn't very high on my priority list, and there are a couple time-consuming complications because of that).

For the character count, it's in the title bar.

no worries, i'll try out the installer then. nice touch with the character count, quite brilliant! :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I've updated it now as RC2.

Added: Ability to "echo" tweets to the TwittleTTweeter page. Opt-in through context menu -- default is to not echo. (Basically, this lets everyone see what everyone else is tweeting.)
Added: New stand-alone version (single zipped EXE)

I had to zip the EXE so that I could put the license information in the ZIP file comments (a requirement of a library I used).

I didn't change the character count though. That's still in the title bar. I don't really see a neater way to do it without introducing some degree of clutter.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15 PM »
lol, i just installed the msi installer. first impressions, looks spiffy and works as exactly as it said. that's good and the permission notice was nice. i'll also opt-in for the "echo" tweets option, so that it helps while testing this client.

btw thanks to this client, my computer has the updated version of dotnet framework (version 4). a hint would have been nice, though.. :)

Twittle Twiddle Tweeter for Twitter_installer_sshot_17_05_2010_(001).png

lanux128 is off to try RC2 as well.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM »
I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened. I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened. So if you could give a quick tutorial on how to use the bit.ly button, that would be great. Though, over all it is a pretty good post only twitter client.
[Insert really cool signature here]

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44 PM »
ok, just tried out the stand-alone version. i noticed that the check-mark for "echo" is off in the tray menu when starting, though the echo itself works. also tweeted some suggestions. :)

@nite_monkey: the bit.ly shortener works here. this is how i did it, i copied the url, then pressed the 'Bit.ly' button and the shortened url is inserted at the caret's position. in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:08 PM »
lol, i just installed the msi installer. first impressions, looks spiffy and works as exactly as it said. that's good and the permission notice was nice. i'll also opt-in for the "echo" tweets option, so that it helps while testing this client.

btw thanks to this client, my computer has the updated version of dotnet framework (version 4). a hint would have been nice, though.. :)
 (see attachment in previous post)
lanux128 is off to try RC2 as well.

:-[ Yeah, I guess I should have put the .NET 4 requirements down there. (It could be done in .NET 3, but I kind of wanted to play around a bit and just have a look at .NET 4.)

Thanks for opting in there. Not too sure about that feature yet. Tell me if you like it after you've tried it out a bit.

I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened.
-nite_monkey (May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM)

Ah... I think I know what you did. You copied a link from inside of a web page, right? I didn't put in any Rich Text clipboard functionality there, so only pure text will work.

I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened.

I think I know what's going on there for you. Here's a quick explanation of how the button works (I'll need to add some help in the program there as well):

It only works for text URLs on your clipboard. e.g. If you copy this URL, it won't work, but if you copy this https://www.donationcoder.com/, it will work (text, not rich text). (Looks like that'll be a feature request -- to support Rich Text clipboard operations.)

So,

1) Copy a text URL, like from the address bar of the browser (put a URL on your clipboard)
2) Click the Bit.Ly button (inserts the text URL from your clipboard, or pops up a dialog asking for a URL to shorten)

If I've misunderstood what you were telling me there, please let me know.

So if you could give a quick tutorial on how to use the bit.ly button, that would be great. Though, over all it is a pretty good post only twitter client.

Every Twitter client I saw just had a massive interface that took up way too much screen real estate. All I wanted to do was to tweet (well, and a couple other things, but that's another story) easily.

I'll get back to seeing if I can clean up interaction with the Bit.Ly button though.

AFTER: Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

ok, just tried out the stand-alone version. i noticed that the check-mark for "echo" is off in the tray menu when starting, though the echo itself works. also tweeted some suggestions. :)

@nite_monkey: the bit.ly shortener works here. this is how i did it, i copied the url, then pressed the 'Bit.ly' button and the shortened url is inserted at the caret's position. in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?

Ah... I'll double check on the echo there. I meant for it to be 'opt-in', so it should be OFF when you first use it. Is that what you meant? The stand-alone and the installed versions do not share the same settings, so setting one will not change the other.

Saw the tweets there too! :) I'll be getting on to those. I figured things like remembering positions I'd do later unless someone here noticed (which you did) and spoke up.

Regarding:

...in your case, maybe the url has a space in front or at the end?

I'll check and clean that up.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:07 AM »

Ah... I'll double check on the echo there. I meant for it to be 'opt-in', so it should be OFF when you first use it. Is that what you meant? The stand-alone and the installed versions do not share the same settings, so setting one will not change the other.

hmm.. that seems the case. i must have confused with the two versions. no wonder the standalone version asked for permission once again. sorry about that.. ;D

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 01:44 AM »
I tried it out, and for the most part it works pretty well. I don't really understand how the bit.ly button works tho. I copied a link from my browser to the clipboard and hit the button, and nothing happened.

Ah... I think I know what you did. You copied a link from inside of a web page, right? I didn't put in any Rich Text clipboard functionality there, so only pure text will work.

I then tried pasting the long url into the client, and then pushing the button to see if it would maybe convert it to a bit.ly url, that worked one time, and then the button stopped working. Eventually tho when I clicked the button, a box popped up and told me to type in an url to shorten, but now I can't get that box to pop back up. Now all the button does is just re paste the last url I shortened.

I think I know what's going on there for you. Here's a quick explanation of how the button works (I'll need to add some help in the program there as well):

It only works for text URLs on your clipboard. e.g. If you copy this URL, it won't work, but if you copy this https://www.donationcoder.com/, it will work (text, not rich text). (Looks like that'll be a feature request -- to support Rich Text clipboard operations.)

So,

1) Copy a text URL, like from the address bar of the browser (put a URL on your clipboard)
2) Click the Bit.Ly button (inserts the text URL from your clipboard, or pops up a dialog asking for a URL to shorten)

If I've misunderstood what you were telling me there, please let me know.

I copied the link from my opera's address bar.
I may not have been doing something right. I'm going to play with it some more and see if I can get the hang of it

edit:Yup, I'm stupid. After further messing around, I have figured it out. The bit.ly button makes perfect sense now. :Thmbsup:
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:46 AM by nite_monkey »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Very cool.  Will have to give this a try later.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47 AM »
edit:Yup, I'm stupid. After further messing around, I have figured it out. The bit.ly button makes perfect sense now. :Thmbsup:
-nite_monkey (May 17, 2010, 01:44 AM)

Well, it's not like it comes with a lot of directions... I didn't put in that functionality before. (See below though. :) )

Anyways, I've updated it now to reflect some of what you and lanux128 were talking about.

Here's the new Bit.Ly button behaviour:

1) You click it...
2) It looks for a link stored on your clipboard and inserts the shortened version at the caret
3) If it doesn't find one, it asks you to enter one into a dialog box
4) You either enter a URL, or cancel -- entered is like #2
5) *** If you DO NOT enter a URL there, it will search for a non-BitLy URL in the Tweet box -- you are prompted for YES/NO if a URL is found there

So, in short
1) Shorten clipboard
2) Prompt if none on clipboard
3) Prompt to shorten if any long URL in Tweet box. (only the first)

HOWEVER!!!!

I put in a significant improvement there that I think will help out DEPENDING ON YOUR BROWSER...

Copy > FROM HERE to way over HERE < and then enter that.

If that doesn't work, then:

Copy FROM HERE >to way over< HERE and then enter that.

Now, depending on your browser, either 1, or both, or none of those will work. The different is in selecting more than just the link, or selecting only the link.

IE is the best. Firefox comes in next. Safari (surprisingly) works well, then Chrome. Opera is dead last as it only copies pure text, and not HTML.

There's nothing that I can do to get things working for Opera. Ever.

So, that should address the kind of problem that you were having before, or at least I hope so. Let me know if it does/doesn't.

One thing I should mention -- I'm not sure about how that all pans out and whether or not I should simply get rid of the RETRY/CANCEL prompt as it really doesn't add much. Any advice?

Cheers,

Ryan

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 10:41 PM »
One thing I should mention -- I'm not sure about how that all pans out and whether or not I should simply get rid of the RETRY/CANCEL prompt as it really doesn't add much. Any advice?

hmm.. i haven't seen the retry prompt yet, so i can't say if that annoys me or not.. however i'd like to request that the text be shaded in another color if the tweet was successfully sent. right now there is a message in the status bar but i can't recall if since then i had typed another message but haven't sent yet (i'm getting old, i know). :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29 AM »

hmm.. i haven't seen the retry prompt yet, so i can't say if that annoys me or not.. however i'd like to request that the text be shaded in another color if the tweet was successfully sent. right now there is a message in the status bar but i can't recall if since then i had typed another message but haven't sent yet (i'm getting old, i know). :)

Good idea. I'd thought about that problem, but wasn't really certain how to solve it, so I figured I'd leave it and wait for the wisdom from the DC forums to shine some light on it~! :D

-- Break for work...
-- Done. A bit dark, but definitely obvious (I'm not a designer, so not really fantastic color changes there). Reverts to normal on any change to the tweet box text.

Still other things TODO from the tweets you made though.

jkitc

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 06:06 AM »
How do I get .Net Framwork v4.0.20926?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 07:23 AM »

You can download it from Microsoft here (web installer) or here (stand alone installer).

If you install Twittle Twiddle Tweeter for Twitter, it will prompt you to install .NET 4.0 as well and help guide you through it.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30 AM »

DC member Markham also has an offline installer of Net Framework v4 on his page.

http://markham.dcmem...x40_Full_x86_x64.exe

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Well, RC3 is done, with great thanks to lanux128 for many good suggestions.

Info & Download: Twittle Twiddle Tweeter

Help (includes info on new features)

Some new & improved features (not all though)

Hotkeys & lots of them (configurable):
Show 
Hide
Delete All
Paste
Paste Bit.Ly
Shorten URLs
Tweet
Context Menu
Open Twitter
Reset

You can practically Tweet from any application and never even look at Twittle Twiddle Tweeter.

Options-Menu.png

Greatly improved compact mode.

Compact-Mode-42.png

I think that they hotkeys really make it a LOT easier to use. You can be surfing, copy URLs, paste them (long or short) and tweet without ever leaving your browser. Thank lanux128 for the hotkey suggestion.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:20 PM »
thanks for the inclusion of hotkeys, now it's really quick and fast and also the hotkey prefix idea is a good one. :up:

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 02:55 PM »
I love the idea and am anxious to try this (sorry I missed your original post; it appears you have gotten a lot of good feedback).  I will consider myself part of the "second generation" of testers!
At first look it appears to be something that just might give me an excuse to use Twitter more than once a month.  LOL

I have a bit.ly account.  Can I configure this client to use MY account when converting URLs?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I love the idea and am anxious to try this (sorry I missed your original post; it appears you have gotten a lot of good feedback).  I will consider myself part of the "second generation" of testers!
At first look it appears to be something that just might give me an excuse to use Twitter more than once a month.  LOL

That was why I wrote it. It's just to hard to use a web site, and using a client that takes up half the screen... not for me.

I have a bit.ly account.  Can I configure this client to use MY account when converting URLs?

Unfortunately no. lanux128 asked about this in a PM. I still need to look into it, but I'm not sure that it's possible. I only saw developer keys available, so I can't say much on it right now.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 12:50 AM »
i have another feature request for T4: auto-insert clipboard contents when launching for the 1st time or toggling into view after being hidden.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Ok, first off, my apologies if this is coming off very harsh.

This is less about insulting the quality of the program and more about in comparison to the expectations set forth by other clients prior to Triple T.

I understand that the client is trying to go the opposite direction of more complicated clients but the problem is that the other clients weren't really complicated programs.

Second, the infrastructure of the whole program go against the claim of simplicity.

I personally hate the text size and icon size of the Adobe Air programs and the way they need to be configured out of a certain background but the advantage coming from those programs are that they often make the application cross-platform and that they are "discovery" clients which helps give a different feel to actually visiting Twitter.

I don't know if this falls under .Net hate and frankly I was never concerned much about that requirement to begin with but a simple program like this begs the question whether the .Net requirement is really necessary or even if it's detrimental to the image of simplicity this program claims to be.

After all, it's an extra step to a very under-powered client.

It's also very easy nowadays to right click on Google Chrome and create an application shortcut to send you right into a Twitter page and sure you may lose the power of url shorteners but it's not like the program auto-converts the url for you and some of us don't use Bit.Ly when there are even shorter url shorteners out there.

At the end of the day though, the program fails because it doesn't simplify the process for Twitter users.

Twitter users especially the busy ones are primarily discussion seekers. They are not as much bothered by how to broadcast a tweet as much as they fear missing out on a participating in a popular discussion or finding an interesting link and commenting on it while it's hot.

This isn't to say they want an all-in-one complex as molasses product but it is like designing a program around the mindset of Facebook users but doing it for Twitter instead when most of the needs of those using Twitter are different.

Again, I hope this isn't interpreted as an attack and I'm not saying no one will find this useful at all. I'm just mostly sharing this as a "quick review" and I have no personal agenda against a Twitter client but even more so, I'm actually very interested in another free competing Twitter client since I'm not totally satisfied by Seesmic/Tweetdeck/Twitwhirl or whatever new leader in Twitter clients I haven't heard of that mostly copies the feature of the previous programs.

That said, I don't think the program as is is a lost cause.

I think there are many people out there who is precisely looking for a program like this only for Gmail. (Post notes - sent to GMAIL) and even though this isn't what Plurk users fully want, the lack of Twitter like ui for Plurk and Plurk clients may make a similar program for Plurk appealing.

Finally a seemingly shallow quirk but I think an equally important one: The name needs to be simpler. It's going to be very hard to search for that Twitter client at the tip of your tongue if you're thinking and getting Alice in Wonderland results from Google.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:03 PM by Paul Keith »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26 PM »
i have another feature request for T4: auto-insert clipboard contents when launching for the 1st time or toggling into view after being hidden.

I'm not sure that will really have much additional value. There's hotkey for Paste (CTRL + ALT + V), so if you're using the keyboard to control it, the extra step isn't much. I'd have to add in another menu item there, which I'm reluctant to do right now. Do you really think it would be that useful?

Ok, first off, my apologies if this is coming off very harsh.

This is less about insulting the quality of the program and more about in comparison to the expectations set forth by other clients prior to Triple T.

:) I've got thick skin. :)

I understand that the client is trying to go the opposite direction of more complicated clients but the problem is that the other clients weren't really complicated programs.

The problem I found was that they take up too much screen real estate and weren't "Always on top". I wanted something that I could tweet quickly and just leave there without any real effort.

Second, the infrastructure of the whole program go against the claim of simplicity.

I'm not sure what you mean here. .NET? Something else? It's meant to simply sit there unobtrusively and let you tweet quickly and easily. Not more. Not less. I don't know how it's not a simple infrastructure.

I personally hate the text size and icon size of the Adobe Air programs and the way they need to be configured out of a certain background but the advantage coming from those programs are that they often make the application cross-platform and that they are "discovery" clients which helps give a different feel to actually visiting Twitter.

I don't really know what you mean. I made the font slightly larger (although it is configurable) in order to give it visibility and readability on larger screen resolutions. It's 12pt Segoe UI.

I don't know if this falls under .Net hate and frankly I was never concerned much about that requirement to begin with but a simple program like this begs the question whether the .Net requirement is really necessary or even if it's detrimental to the image of simplicity this program claims to be.

After all, it's an extra step to a very under-powered client.

.NET 4.0 was unnecessary. I could have easily done it in .NET 2.0, but I wanted to just play around with .NET 4.0 and have a quick look at it. If I were to take the program very seriously, I would have done it in .NET 2.0, and that would be invisible to virtually everyone as .NET penetration there is extremely high.

Basically, it was me just killing 2 birds with 1 stone to save time.

It's also very easy nowadays to right click on Google Chrome and create an application shortcut to send you right into a Twitter page and sure you may lose the power of url shorteners but it's not like the program auto-converts the url for you and some of us don't use Bit.Ly when there are even shorter url shorteners out there.

Browsers are cumbersome and take up screen real estate. I wanted to avoid a browser at all costs as they are just slow. Using a mouse is also very slow, and using TAB to get into the right input field in a browser is extremely time consuming.

But it does convert URLs if you want it to. I thought it would be presumptuous to have it do it automatically. (CTRL + ALT + U)

At the end of the day though, the program fails because it doesn't simplify the process for Twitter users.

Twitter users especially the busy ones are primarily discussion seekers. They are not as much bothered by how to broadcast a tweet as much as they fear missing out on a participating in a popular discussion or finding an interesting link and commenting on it while it's hot.

This isn't to say they want an all-in-one complex as molasses product but it is like designing a program around the mindset of Facebook users but doing it for Twitter instead when most of the needs of those using Twitter are different.

I think you have different expectations than what the program sets out to do.

The program is not supposed to be for "Twitter users" at all. It's for "people that want to tweet", but couldn't be bothered to put in any effort.

It's a subtle difference, but an important one. Twitter users will tweet anyways. This isn't for them. This is for the guy that would like to tweet, but just can't be bothered to fart around with a browser and clicking and signing in and tabbing, and clicking in input fields and clicking a Submit button. This is for the guy that wants to type and tweet, and not anything more than that.

Again, I hope this isn't interpreted as an attack and I'm not saying no one will find this useful at all. I'm just mostly sharing this as a "quick review" and I have no personal agenda against a Twitter client but even more so, I'm actually very interested in another free competing Twitter client since I'm not totally satisfied by Seesmic/Tweetdeck/Twitwhirl or whatever new leader in Twitter clients I haven't heard of that mostly copies the feature of the previous programs.

That said, I don't think the program as is is a lost cause.

Not at all. :)

If I'm guessing right, I think that what you were sort of expecting would be best done as a browser plug-in.

I think there are many people out there who is precisely looking for a program like this only for Gmail. (Post notes - sent to GMAIL) and even though this isn't what Plurk users fully want, the lack of Twitter like ui for Plurk and Plurk clients may make a similar program for Plurk appealing.

Does Plurk have many users? This is the first I've heard of it.

As for Gmail, it would be drop dead simple to do, but I don't really see a point to it as it's using Gmail for what amounts to a highly-specialized, odd use for it. There are better ways to store notes.

Finally a seemingly shallow quirk but I think an equally important one: The name needs to be simpler. It's going to be very hard to search for that Twitter client at the tip of your tongue if you're thinking and getting Alice in Wonderland results from Google.

The name is meant to be long and humorous as a contrast to the shortness and ease of the program itself.

At the end of the day, it's a very small program, with a specialized purpose, and not a major product. I don't plan on putting any real marketing effort into it. It will never be massively popular, and will never make me rich or famous.

To frame the program in a different perspective, it solves a specific "pain-point". Take for example my DNN Keep Alive program; it solves a very specific problem on a small scale.

In planning software, my approach is to find a pain-point, then solve it. Very little of what I actually write ever gets released (most of my pain-points are extremely esoteric and have no broad consumer/corporate appeal). The pain-point that T3 solves is specific, and obviously not for everyone. I decided to make it available as I figured that there would be enough people like me with that specific concern to make it worthwhile.

To be honest, I simply wouldn't tweet at all without it. Other clients were simply too large or complicated, and I refuse to use a browser for it. (I find browsers are rather clunky things -- they try to be everything to everyone and fall short quite often.)

Anyways, I hope that puts some perspective on what the program is supposed to do.