topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A NANY 2011 Coders Requesting Funding Idea: Feedback Wanted  (Read 9047 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I had an idea.. I would like to see coders to take on more substantial programming projects to release at the end of the year as part of NANY.  I wonder if it might make sense to encourage coders to request donations to help them spend some time on their NANY, or purchase things that might help them code their project (icons, clipart, programming tools, etc.).

The nature of DC means that such donations would be small -- but still maybe worth a try.

Doing this doesn't really require us to implement anything special -- donations can be made via donationcredits, or any other financial service, or coders could set up one of those funding accounts on other sites.

The only real thing we should do IF people think this is a good idea is maybe put up a page or sticky thread listing the coders who are requesting some funding, what they are planning to do with any donations, and some background on whether they have participated in NANY before, etc., and then just encourage people to send money to these people as they post updates on their projects.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A NANY 2011 Coders Requesting Funding Idea: Feedback Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Or could the coders that are seeking donations simply put that in their Pledge / Teaser / etc Thread??

In some ways it's not too much different to asking for any other volunteer help for the project  :-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I'm not sure if this would work, but what about some sort of money pledge pool. Sort of like those fundraisers where people pledge $0.50 (or whatever amount) per mile someone runs and then they collect the money after they've done the running.

This kind of reverses it so that the reward comes after the work is done, which may not be what you're intending with this idea.

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:31 PM »
I think the idea has merit.  But it does seem we need a bit more 'brainstorming' before it can be finalized.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11 AM »
I think the pledge pages would be fun to read if they'd contain a little personal information about the authors; to the extent each author is comfortable, of course. Things I can think of to make the page interesting: a snapshot of the author, some kind of flowchart/diagram that describes the project (doesn't really have to be serious, can be a little whacky/creative as long as it gets the gist across), an audio pitch by the author (Alright, I just dropped that in coz I really enjoyed and miss the DC podcasts.) Bottomline: I think the event needs to build on the enthusiasm/ fun factor before the d-word is mentioned!

Just my $0.02 (not accounting for inflation.)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59 AM »
I remember that a lot of NANY-Coders gave interviews that have been posted here or here. Some are starting a lot of different projects and so I think it´s not useful to tell about their personalities within the project threads. If someone wants to add a personal report, he can add it on the onecore site or the above mentioned threads.