topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7 BETA 2 - Publically Available  (Read 4765 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Internet Explorer 7 BETA 2 - Publically Available
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I'm testing driving it right now - here's the link as the MS website is hammered:

http://fileforum.bet...Explorer/942950057/1

It's....minimalistic  :Thmbsup:

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Explorer 7 BETA 2 - Publically Available
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:05 PM »
Is it just me or did they blatantly immitate firefox on a number of things?  The live bookmarks/rss icon not withstanding ;)

They've definitely cleaned up their interface, freed up a long more screen space and -finally- caught up with everyone else on the tab browsing wave.

The real question withstanding is how much better its rendering engine is, it'll be interesting to see what the web gurus with time to test, test test have to say about it.  One thing I'm glad to see is it now supports alpha transparency in fully color png images -- web devs have been complaining about the absence of that for a long time.  I imagine if that's implemented they've at least fixed a few of their CSS problems, too.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:16 PM »
The CSS support is better. A number of crippling bugs that plagued web devs are banished. However, the thing is very much bolted on and there is a lot of CSS 2 that is improperly or not implemented. It is still way behind Gecko (Mozilla), Presto/Merlin (Opera) and KHTML/webcore (konq / Safari). Lots of great techniques will still have to be hacked round, and web dev time wasted...

DOM (i.e. standard javascript)  support is rubbish.

Regarding the UI / features, blatant imitation is par for the course, Microsoft are pretty good at it. However, claiming Firefox as precedent is quite funny — it was originally designed to imitate IE ;)
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:15 PM »
I've been using it for about 2 hours now and I haven't noticed any problems so far.
It seems to run pretty fast, tabs are a nice feature. It accomodates my plug-ins fine.
I haven't found any web pages yet that seem to have a problem with it.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Regarding the UI / features, blatant imitation is par for the course, Microsoft are pretty good at it. However, claiming Firefox as precedent is quite funny — it was originally designed to imitate IE ;)

Indeed! -- Irony.  Firefox looked not unlike IE, now IE looks not unlike Firefox . . . perhaps that means IE looks more like IE? ;)