topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G  (Read 65714 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2010, 09:08 AM »
To me, it seems more like a form of tyranny where people are imprisoned for no good reason. The marijuana example seems to be an excellent one. Pot-heads don't run around robbing, raping and murdering. They're pretty harmless.

The ones you know.  I can say that knowing a wide range of them that some do, and their actions support other such crimes even if they don't do them directly.  And the idea that there's no long term detrimental effect?  I can also say that knowing a wide range of them, that's complete BS.  I'm not one that's against legalization- heck, the legalization and regulation of 'recreational drugs' would be the biggest blow the so-called War on Drugs could achieve.  Just look at the end of prohibition for an example.  But I'm under no illusions that weed is any better (or any worse) than any other drug.  It's the use of them that causes the problem.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Hear hear :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:37 AM by Eóin »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2010, 04:24 AM »
It's the abuse of them that causes the problem.
There, ftfy :)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2010, 06:43 AM »
To me, it seems more like a form of tyranny where people are imprisoned for no good reason. The marijuana example seems to be an excellent one. Pot-heads don't run around robbing, raping and murdering. They're pretty harmless.

The ones you know.  I can say that knowing a wide range of them that some do, and their actions support other such crimes even if they don't do them directly.  And the idea that there's no long term detrimental effect?  I can also say that knowing a wide range of them, that's complete BS.  I'm not one that's against legalization- heck, the legalization and regulation of 'recreational drugs' would be the biggest blow the so-called War on Drugs could achieve.  Just look at the end of prohibition for an example.  But I'm under no illusions that weed is any better (or any worse) than any other drug.  It's the use of them that causes the problem.

I can certainly appreciate that any drug is destructive in one way or another. I should have compared pot to speed or heroin there. That would have been a better example.

However, that's neither here nor there.

I know that pot is certainly better to use than a lot of other drugs. Heroin, meth, coke and a few others are simply far worse in every way imaginable. I've watched people's lives be ruined by heroin. (I've also seen people that have managed heroin and emerged from it.) But really, if we want to be purely objective, alcohol causes more damage than pot or acid (or psilocybin, etc.).

Coke, crack, meth, heroin and others like those -- they are the drugs that are simply so purely destructive that they just can't be used (by most people). I qualify that because there is a very, very small portion of the population that can actually use (not ABuse) those kinds of drugs and not have any serious problems. I know that I'm not one of those people.

I certainly wouldn't group pot and heroin in the same class though. They are worlds apart.

I think you're right about legalization being the best thing that the war on drugs could do.

Wow. This is really way off track now~!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker