topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Return of the Commodore computer name?  (Read 9159 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Return of the Commodore computer name?
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:44 PM »
]This over at Endgadget.com :

100316-commodoreusa-01.jpg

http://www.engadget....ine-of-keyboard-pcs/

The Commodore name licensed again for a line of keyboard PCs
By Joseph L. Flatley posted Mar 16th 2010 6:29PM

We've always had a soft spot for Commodore computers. Compact, economical, and robust for their day, they were ubiquitous throughout the 1980s. Unfortunately, the machine's glory days are long behind it, with little more than some gaming rigs and the tireless work of Ben Heck to keep the flag flying. But all that could change if Barry Altman has his way. As President and CEO of the newly minted Commodore USA, he's spent the better part of a year crawling through the arcane red tape necessary to get the rights to the Commodore name. And now? With any luck, later this year the company's monumental advertising campaign will have had its effect ("something like you've never seen in your life," as Altman described it to us on the phone this afternoon) and you'll be able to have your very own keyboard computer  with the Commodore logo slapped on for good measure. Presumably based on the Cybernet ZPC-GX31, the exact configurations and pricing will all be spelled out soon enough. In the meantime, hit the source link to see for yourself. And please, guys -- make us a beige one, will ya?

Bears as much resemblance to a C64 as, as an BMW G-Power M6 Hurricane CS does to a Dodge Charger - but it's the thought that counts! I'd be tempted  to buy one purely for the sake of nostalgia in order to see this:

COMMODORE-2_1.jpgReturn of the Commodore computer name?  on something again.

And yes...I think I'd want it in beige. And with a rainbow stripe while we're at it too!  :Thmbsup: ;D

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:56 PM by 40hz »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Return of the Commodore computer name?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I wonder what kind of software it's supposed to run. Is it actually supposed to run old Commodore software, or did they just want rights to the name so they have a keyboard PC that runs Windows 7? Or is there going to be new Commodore software?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Considering that a phone nowadays has more computer power than personal computers did back in the day, can a multitouch GEOS phone be far behind?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Hmm, I thought the Commodore company was closed years ago?

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44 PM »
...the company's monumental advertising campaign will have had its effect ("something like you've never seen in your life," as Altman described it to us on the phone this afternoon) ...
If it is UNsuccessful, the computer may be dubbed "The Commode"!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:56 PM »
A> Thats feckin awesome..I want a keyboard PC!
B> Gimme Beige
C> Gimmeh Rainbow
D> Add C64 Game Disk Slot/Dual Mode Switch (Choose PC or 64) and your onto a winner with me!

:Thmbsup:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Hmm, I thought the Commodore company was closed years ago?

It did. That's why this guy formed a completely new company and "spent the better part of a year crawling through the arcane red tape necessary to get the rights to the Commodore name."

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I actually think it will be a flop anyway. Commodore is a feeling, not just a name.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I wonder what kind of software it's supposed to run. Is it actually supposed to run old Commodore software, or did they just want rights to the name so they have a keyboard PC that runs Windows 7? Or is there going to be new Commodore software?

I'd guess it will ship with Windows 7.

I plan on using some variant of Linux. :Thmbsup:

There's also enough disk/cartridge images and C64 emulators that running the old software shouldn't be an issue. Too bad they can't bring back the SID chip.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:24 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21 PM »
...the company's monumental advertising campaign will have had its effect ("something like you've never seen in your life," as Altman described it to us on the phone this afternoon) ...
If it is UNsuccessful, the computer may be dubbed "The Commode"!

Old joke. C64 owners used to affectionately call it the "commode door" since way back. :P

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I actually think it will be a flop anyway. Commodore is a feeling, not just a name.

That's probably a safe bet. Many companies have tried to bring back either the Commodore and/or Amiga brand names and all have failed. I think these companies don't see what made these brands great & unfortunately, what did make them great isn't something that's going to be able to be repeated.

Take this guy/company in the OP, for example. Judging from the pic accompanying the article it looks like what he thinks made Commodore great was the computer's form factor. He must have forgotten that every computer that wasn't an IBM PC back then had that form factor. :: shakes head ::

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Actually, the return of an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be a major plus for somebody like me who does support for corporate networks. That's an idea form for internal kiosk use.
 :Thmbsup:  

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Actually, the return of an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be a major plus for somebody like me who does support for corporate networks. That's an idea form for internal kiosk use.

I understand how an all-in-one keyboard form factor would be beneficial to a lot of market segments. However, those market segments who would bu this don't care if the Commodore brand name is on there or not. Furthermore, IMHO, the crowd that the Commodore brand name would attract aren't going to be interested in this.

higherstate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Drive Backup Software
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Yes, I am not sure how much of a pull the brand name is anymore, it's hayday was what, 10-15 yrs ago? Could be worth a bit of PR but isn't it better to spend all that money on R & D to come up with something brave & new.

How about an augmented reality based computer system. Stick a projector in there or some glasses with screens, a glove or something for input, put it all in a backpack & make it interact with physical objects..
My Antivirus Firewall Software blog & advice.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:00 AM »
How about an augmented reality based computer system. Stick a projector in there or some glasses with screens, a glove or something for input, put it all in a backpack & make it interact with physical objects..

Sure thing. All you'd need to do is assemble a team of world class talent, design it, build it, debug it, fight off the patent trolls and knock-off shops, and find some venture capitalist who's willing to give you five years to make all this happen ahead of Sony, Apple, Microsoft, and Google. And then Be prepared to have to retail it for under $500.  

Sounds pretty doable to me!

Let me know when it's ready.   :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:05 AM by 40hz »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Yes, I am not sure how much of a pull the brand name is anymore, it's hayday was what, 10-15 yrs ago?

The Commodore brand name (leaving Amiga aside) had its hey-day over 20 years ago. I seem to recall it peaking right around '87-'88 or so.

higherstate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Drive Backup Software
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 02:07 AM »
Let me know when it's ready.   :P

:) sounds a bit defeatist to me... check out this video that someone has sent me http://www.ted.com/t...ense_technology.html...I think we are already too late.
My Antivirus Firewall Software blog & advice.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 10:52 AM »
sounds a bit defeatist to me...

Not at all. Just me speaking from personal experience with several startups. That's where I learned that "innovation and "technical excellence" do not equate to commercial success.

Then there's the issue of "infrastructure."

There are tons of great ideas for doable products. The problem is that most products are no longer standalone devices. They need networks, services, and databases to make them worth owning. Laptop computers are one very good example.

Laptops really started to take off once a reliable wireless infrastructure came into existence. Prior to that they were mostly geek "convenience" toys. And now that affordable and ubiquitous WiFi is becoming a reality, laptops are finally starting to replace desktops as the preferred form factor for personal computers. Why? Not because of innovations in the design or function of a laptop (of which there were many.) The key to widespread adoption was the fact that you could now take them pretty much anywhere and link up, mostly thanks to the big ISPs and Telcos hanging access points and cell towers all over the place.

So it's not so much the technology that made the laptop so popular. It's the infrastructure somebody else made available that put it over the top.

One of the reason sso many of the early dotcomms failed was because critical "background technologies" (i.e. generally available broadband, secure online payment systems, etc.) weren't in place even though the dotcomm's products were often innovative, finished, and ready to roll.

I'm not knocking innovation, breakthrough design, or new ways of doing things. But I think it's
important to remember that just because something is a terrific idea doesn't also automatically mean it's a viable business.

Rocket science has its place. But many successful businesses (and virtually all successful 'new' technologies) became so  by doing simple, useful, and (often) obvious things extraordinarily well.

Want to make a fortune out there? Don't bother with data gloves and augmented reality. Come up with an environmentally friendly laptop battery that will give you 20 hours run time and your future is guaranteed.

Just my :two:

:)
----------------------------------------------
Note: As far as TED Talks go...well...I'll confess I love 'em.   :-*
But much of what gets talked about, 'hand waved', or poetically waxed about over at TED never sees the light of day. There is a big difference between a "workable business model" and the "thrilling potential" for something.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:59 AM by 40hz »