topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Command & Conquer Copies Ubisoft's Awful DRM  (Read 4412 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Command & Conquer Copies Ubisoft's Awful DRM
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:13 PM »
http://bit.ly/acfGHj - (via Kotaku)

It seems that the wave has picked up speed... C&C requires that you have an internet connection to play.  And the representative had the nerve to advertise that C&C had no DRM...

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Command & Conquer Copies Ubisoft's Awful DRM
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Damn, a game I might have actually bought.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Long live razor1911, reloaded, skidrow and the other heroes - making legitimately purchased games playable by people who'd otherwise be offered nothing but a big cup of GFY from the vendors.

I have one thing to say to those game firms: http://pzldie.kthx.dk/ .
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:20 PM »
That's cool... cooler if they'd abbreviated plz better ;)

Oh... and notice that I put a reference to what the link goes to as a nod to f0dder. :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:28 PM »
That's cool... cooler if they'd abbreviated plz better ;)
It's teh intarwebs meme abbreviation of "please" ;)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Well, I haven't heard anything about the game until reading that article (and some of the comments), but apparently it requires an internet connection because it's like an MMO or something:

Here's the thing though, Ubisoft does it for piracy, EA does it to keep track of your leveling experience and unlocks. Singleplayer (which is arguably more fun in co-op anyways) experience goes towards your Skirmish and Multiplayer leveling, and vice versa. It's actually a smart move since it's more persistent like a standard MMO and cuts down on people who hack to get level 20 and dominate level 3 folks, but of course people complain about the whole "online only".

Does it have SecuROM? No. Do people treat it as such? Yes.
-Keerosene

It still sucks, but I guess people don't expect to be able to play World of Warcraft without an internet connection, do they?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Sorry, but that explanation doesn't fly as well. They could have either devised an offline-only mode for those wishing to play the game in single player, or scheduling regular connections to the EA servers to update your experience figures without requiring a 100% persistent connection. Or send them at the end of every mission, don't know exactly how the leveling thing works in the game. No Internet connection? Cache the results, and try to send them later. There's absolutely no need to be permanently connected to EA. Specially when the company treats you like this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Well, I haven't heard anything about the game until reading that article (and some of the comments), but apparently it requires an internet connection because it's like an MMO or something:

Here's the thing though, Ubisoft does it for piracy, EA does it to keep track of your leveling experience and unlocks. Singleplayer (which is arguably more fun in co-op anyways) experience goes towards your Skirmish and Multiplayer leveling, and vice versa. It's actually a smart move since it's more persistent like a standard MMO and cuts down on people who hack to get level 20 and dominate level 3 folks, but of course people complain about the whole "online only".

Does it have SecuROM? No. Do people treat it as such? Yes.
-Keerosene

It still sucks, but I guess people don't expect to be able to play World of Warcraft without an internet connection, do they?

For world of warcraft, everything is online.  It's an online game, and not single player as the term generally means.  This is an excuse.  As Lashiec said, they could have devised a way to store things offline and upload.  Especially not to just lose progress.  All you have to do is look at the battlefield games to see that they're lying.  Those are multiplayer games, but each one of them has a single player mode that you can play offline.  Even their newest, BFBC2 has a single player mode that you can play without being connected.

I call shenanigans.