topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update  (Read 5057 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Interesting to see this appear after hearing so much controversry about it for so long. Also nice to see it unticked by default. I for one shall not be installing it, now to go hide it in fact :)

choice.pngMicrosoft Browser Choice Screen Update

Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Users of Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976002)

Download size: 102 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install this update to access a Choice Screen which lets you select whether and which Web browser(s) to install in addition to Internet Explorer. After you have installed this software update it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59 AM »

I got offered it on XP here within the last week Eóin - it was ticked by default here btw (de - or maybe it just the fact it was an XP)
I'd be curious to see it, but not curious enough to install it :)

Ironically I've seen advertising for Internet Explorer 8 the first time just this week (on webmail site web.de) - I was using an older version of Opera and it picked up on that & offered me IE - I checked the same site on an uptodate FF & didnt get the add

Tom

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I installed the update the other day, but nothing appeared. I also located the executable that contains the ballot screen, but it refuses to run. So, it seems having Opera as the default won't let me choose another browser. Blast, and I wanted to try Safari :P