topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Browser Wars: Why did you choose yours?  (Read 28733 times)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Browser Wars: Why did you choose yours?
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42 PM »

...KM is also one of the fastest browsers that I have tested, it loads almost instantly and doesn't take up too many resources unless you leave  a lot of tabs open with Flash content.

And by the way, the 1.5.4 version came out today :Thmbsup:

I also like K-Meleon. Thanks for mentioning the new version. :)

btw Comodo now has their own Chromium-based browser named Comodo Dragon. I tried it recently, but its lack of ad-blocking really bothered me.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I use Opera, Firefox and SeaMonkey for different purposes, but Opera is what I use for regular everyday browsing.  Aside from being fast and flexible without having to rely on extensions, it also works equally well on my newest systems and some older ones.

I have an old iBook G4 running OSX 10.3 (The OS can't be upgraded and most current Mac software won't run on it - yet another reason I prefer Windows to Mac) which runs Opera 10.10 just fine, allowing me to keep it in my living room for quick browsing needs.

Likewise an 8 year old Panasonic Toughbook CF-R1, with 256M Ram and a 20GB HD, on which Firefox 3.6 feels like swimming in mollasses, but Opera 10.10 runs beautifully. As an aside, it's too bad Panasonic stopped selling the CF-R line outside Japan after that model, because it remains a far superior ultra-light to any netbook sold today - 2.2 lbs, a brilliant 1024x768 screen and nearly indestructible ruggedized construction - I can toss it in a bag and carry it around without straining my back or worrying about dropping it.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Does your browser stack up on speed tests (and other tests)? Tom's hardware gives them a run:
http://www.tomshardw...rome-opera,2558.html

browser-grandprix02.png        browser-grandprix01.png

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I was happy to see joiwind spoke up for K-Meleon. It's a great lightweight browser. especially on older or underpowered machines.

I'm basically a Firefox user. And I have five major reasons why I tend to use FF more than any other browser. In order of importance, they are:
  • NoScript
  • Ad Block Plus
  • Sage
  • Down Them All
  • Passive Recon

Like CleverCat pointed out - it's the extensions.  :Thmbsup: At least for me.

I also use IE, but pretty much only when I'm on Microsoft's gargantuan website. A lot of what Microsoft puts up on the web seems quicker and better behaved when you're using IE. (Should that surprise anybody? :mrgreen:)

I've got the latest version of Opera up on my system. It's very nice, but I don't personally see what all the hoopla is about. It's also a bit of a "paradigm shift" if you're a longtime FF user. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see enough of an advantage over FF to even think about switching any time soon.

I've tried Safari and: "Dude, I'm like totally unimpressed."

I've declined to try Chrome purely for philosophical and political reasons. I don't really like (or trust) Google very much anymore.

:)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:58 PM by 40hz »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2010, 11:24 AM »
I've tried Safari and: "Dude, I'm like totally unimpressed."

I could not agree with anything more.  Last time I installed Chrome it was purely for testing ONE website, within 3 minutes of installing it, I had a complete system crash (Windows 7) which, when I looked in to it, was caused by a huge memory leak coming from Chrome.  Now, I cannot specifically say that Google Chrome is a bad egg, but I can certainly say, you would be better off without it, and if you do use it, make sure you keep an eye on its memory usage.