topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Text of options is cut (not all is showing).  (Read 11223 times)

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Text of options is cut (not all is showing).
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:49 PM »
Many of the options of FFR have their text cut (i.e. it does not fit within the text area of the checkboxes). For instance, in the Display tab, there is an "Auto-shrink window to fit r" (and the rest is cut out). Is this normal?

Amadawn

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Text of options is cut (not all is showing).
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Actually almost all the windows seem to have the wrong size. For instance the window to define groups is too small and the buttons to save and cancel are almost ouside of the window (only the top part of the buttons is showing). Even if I make the window bigger the buttons remain almost outside.

For your info, I am running WindowsXP with a WindowsXP theme. However this is the only application that is giving me such trouble. I'd like to put an image here but I don't know how!

Cheers,

Angel

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:56 PM »
this is because of the windows dpi setting (increase font size), if you use the default you shouldnt have this problem, i also have the same problem.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Actually I have the Font Size set to normal. Also, even if that was the problem, I don't believe that that would explain the problem with the Group definition window.

mouser, is there some way for me to send you a picture of the problem?

Cheers,

Amadawn

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I just found out how to attach pictures to posts. See the problem that I am refering to:

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01 PM »
these look familiar?

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/6707/gadwinscreenshot0041lb.png

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/7136/gadwinscreenshot0034jo.png

you can upload the image to http://reg.imageshack.us/
then paste the img tag link here.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Yeah, those look exactly the same! (except for the actual theme that you are using).

Mouser, have you tried running F&R with different Windows themes? Mine is just a regular Windows XP them (not a WindowBlinds thme or anything like that).

Cheers,

Amadawn

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:11 PM »
these font size issues are the bane of my existence; i promise to make another try to fix them..
it has to do with large font settings in windows, and my apps tend to not display property on systems with large DPI (font size) mode.  you can confirm this is the problem by temporarily changing the DPI mode back to default of 96 from your display settins; for me it's right click on desktop -> display properties -> advanced tab).

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 10:23 PM »
You are right I didn't think so but I am running at 120 dpi (125% font size). The problem is that with my window resolution that is the minimum size at which the text is readable for me :-[

I've had these type of issues with my own programs before. One thing that I always try to do is to make every textbox (including those accompanying checkboxes) as wide as possible (without overlapping them with any other GUI element. Also I usually put a Tooltip for every GUI element, where the tooltip is the same as the text in the editbox. That way, if the editbox is too small, people can still see the text by putting the mouse over the GUI item. That should take care of most of the issues on your Preferences menus.

For the Groups window I guess that it will be harder to fix. The only thing that I can suggest is to make the window size bigger by default, but that might solve nothing if you are using relative positions for your GUI elements.

Cheers,

Amadawn

P.S.- When spellchecking my posts I noticed that the spellchecker tries to spellcheck everything, including the "smiley" codes and the username. I don't know if that is possible but it'd be better if that could be avoided (I almost changed  :Thmbsup: into "Thumb" in one of my previous posts!

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Hi Amadawn, can I quickly remind you that if you have time you should make bugs / wishes into seperate items in the bug tracker to help mouser keep note of what needs to be done:

https://www.donation...m/Software/Tracking/
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:05 PM »
OK, sorry, I didn't know about that.

Cheers,

Amadawn

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 04:23 PM »
ill just echo what nontroppo said - it really helps me a lot when bugs are entered in the bug tracker - makes it a LOT easier for me to remember them and motivates their fixing.  i always start with the bug tracker list first when working on a program update :)

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 05:59 PM »
I just created the bug report. I set it as major because it does not allow you to create new group aliases. Feel free to change it back to minor if you think that it is not so important. I did not really know what kind of criteria you use (as you have block and crash importance as well).

Cheers,

Amadawn

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I've also added other bugs/suggestions to the bug tracking system. Is that what you expect or would you rather that we comment feature requests on this forum first?

Amadawn

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 06:20 PM »
im looking over the bug reports + feature requests you're filing, they are excellent - keep it up; i think version 2 will implement most.  great to have more ideas.

as far posting on forum+bugtracker.. its a judgement call.. if its something you think could benefit from discussion and debate, then by all means post on forum as well.  it can never hurt to post in both places, but if its something you really want, posting in bugtracker is best way to insure that i make a hard decision about whether to implement or not.  that's the nice thing about the bug tracker is it keeps things from falling by the wayside.

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 09:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that the problem also affects the main window. This only happened once I added an element to the toolbar.