topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Seagate's Replica: Highly praised foolproof backup drive and software  (Read 10671 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just came across this on Tom's Hardware site -- they really love it and say it's the first foolproof backup solution they've come across.  Might be the perfect gift for a loved one in your life who needs some backup intervention.

Seagate’s Replica is a portable hard drive with automatic backup, versioning, and disaster recovery features to make backup a no-brainer. The product works so well that it deserves our rare Best of Tom’s Award.

Looks like its from $130 to $180 in price: http://www.seagate.com/replica/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Re: Seagate's Replica: Highly praised foolproof backup drive and software
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Too bad the design is so ugly; I'd prefer something square & stackable, preferably black as well - form factor being more important than color, though. USB2 is probably also limiting, even if the drive used is 2.5" its likely able to do more than 32MB/s (where do tomshardware get that figure from, anyway? While you're not going to reach full theoretical speed, USB2 is 480mbit/s or 60MB/s).

ReBit sounds like a pretty nice solution. Haven't read extensively on the details, but it sounds somewhat like apple's TimeMachine or Genie-soft's timeline? I think I'd prefer something that didn't make the data partition invisible, and relied on regular folders and hardlinks (akin to rsnapshot)... but hiding the partition is probably a smart move for non-techie end-users.
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55 PM »
If I were to go for this, I'd probably just buy a license to the ReBit software ($49 for a single computer, $79 for multiple PC license).

The 250GB or 500GB SeaGate drive isn't going to be able to do a full backup/restore of my PC, which has over 1TB of storage inside.

Too bad the design is so ugly; I'd prefer something square & stackable, preferably black as well - form factor being more important than color, though.

Buying just the software would solve that problem as well.

pencoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:03 AM »
even if the drive used is 2.5" its likely able to do more than 32MB/s (where do tomshardware get that figure from, anyway? While you're not going to reach full theoretical speed, USB2 is 480mbit/s or 60MB/s).
The theoretical maximum given in the standard is 49.152.000 Byte/s (Isochronous Mode) or 53.248.000 Byte/s (Bulk-Mode) (from Wikipedia), in reallity you will see no more than 40 MB/s. This given 32 MB/s seems to be very well for me...   8)

Bye, Peter

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Current Rebit "save me" prices seem to have gotten cheaper than mentioned above:
$29.95 and $39.95 . Looks very interesting.

http://www.rebit.com/products.html

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Current Rebit "save me" prices seem to have gotten cheaper than mentioned above:

does sound great - would be nice if they gave some more info though - fairly minimal info on their site
Tom

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I wonder if the admin at work might want to use replica. The other day we found out the backup solution didn't backup at all because one of the disks couldn't spin up. Naturally said solution also opted not to report such an issue...

And then management has to clear the funds, and the assistant admin has to go shopping. All in all, we might have a working backup solution by christmas!  :D

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 01:39 PM »
The main drawback is, that the program only backs up a single hard drive - the system disk.  At least it should be good for notebooks.  :)

does sound great - would be nice if they gave some more info though - fairly minimal info on their site