topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CircleDock Featured on LifeHacker Today  (Read 7752 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
CircleDock Featured on LifeHacker Today
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Seeing this brought a real smile to my face.

Congratulations are in order to Eric Wong, for creating CircleDock in the first place, but also to those people here on the forum (sgtevmckay, Markham, and others) that picked up the torch and who have been not just improving the program, but providing support, writing help pages, etc.  Bravo  :Thmbsup:

We first covered Circle Dock when it appeared out of of a Donation Coder contest two years ago. Since then it has undergone quite a few revisions and is more polished than ever.

One of the initial complaints about Circle Dock was the lack of comprehensive help file—even in the beginning the application did a lot but it wasn't always clear on how you could get it to do what you wanted—the new release has a huge help file that launches immediately after the installation so you can dig right into tweaking settings.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: CircleDock Featured on LifeHacker Today
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:24 PM »
You CircleDock coder/support guys *NEED* to have some dc/circle dock mugs to celebrate this.. i'm just waiting for some images from someone before we send them..

but i have an idea.. why dont i tell you the dimensions needed for a mug image: 1662 x 600
and suggest that one of you collect screenshot images of your desktops showing circledock, cropped to that size.
and we can send each one a custom mug showing your circledock desktop?

(you might also want to discuss if you want some custom text on the mugs -- either same text on all or different text, like names)

but will one of the CircleDock people volunteer to collect the images (remember 1662x600) and we can get the mugs made and sent.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I Just got home from Doctors and post knee surgery physical therapy (Right knee this time, and I use teh DC mug everyday...thanks)

I am going to do some support threads at LifeHacker to help folks along...and I will get Hot on your suggestion, afterward.

Time to capitalize.....I am so great full that lifeHacker took up my request for an article.
These guys are great

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:59 AM »
I have just spent the day implementing some enhancements - in fact, almost all those currently recorded in the "Issues Tracker" (you'll need to set the Filter to "All" and then click on "Apply") and those that I have implemented will be included in the next release.

I've also read all the comments posted in the LifeHacker article. Just in every sphere of human undertaking, you can't please all the people all the time, you certainly can't please all LifeHacker's commentators. As the (current) author, it is pleasing to read all the positive feedback and sensible suggestions posted to that article whilst ignoring the troll-like, keyboard-commandos' banal posts - like that from the guy who seems to insist Circle Dock is a rotary phone and the guy who spent all of five seconds evaluating the program before condemning it. As you will see, I have acted on some of LifeHacker's commentators' suggestions!

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Listen my friend:
LifeHacker can turn into one huge flame war quickly and more often than not I have found knockers and no supporters.
We did extremely well, and as with Rainmeter articles, I am there every step of the way.
I have been lauded for the assistance I render at the lifeHacker postings, so this helps, and since flamers and knockers know that there is a software rep: Things go a little differently  >:D

I learned a long time ago not even to try and impress everyone.
Circle Dock is not for everyone, and that's ok  ;)

Yes there are many user, but Circle Dock is now your fun, and you do not have to impress anyone, but yourself.
The folks that will use it, we will find some of them here.
Something to keep in mind is how few posts we have received since the release of v1.0....That speaks volumes.

The requests may come in, and it is up to you as to whether or not they are accepted
You have Fun, and we will have fun with you  ;)

I will send along an e-mail to Jason and get you accepted as a LifeHacker commentator...it will take a bit, but that is the way of things.

All the work you have done and continue to do...I am nothing but amazed.
Thanks again  :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Ack  ;D

LifeHacker Japan just did an article in the last 16 hours, and we are getting hits  :P
http://www.lifehacker.jp/2010/02/100202circle_dock.html

Damn you got to love this stuff.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:08 AM by sgtevmckay »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40 AM »
There are also several translations of the original LifeHacker article on some Brazilian web sites which may go some way to account for the high traffic we're getting from that country.

With 5 hours to go before the "accounting day" ends (at midnight GMT), so far this month the traffic figures by country are:

1. Brazil - 20.35 GiB
2. USA - 4.53 GiB
3. Japan - 4.46 GiB
4. Mexico - 2.35 GiB
5. China - 1.03 GiB
Rest if the word - 22.2 GiB (about 60 other countries)

The top referring site is DonationCoder with most hits coming from the Software Index page; but whilst most hits (64.3%) come from referring web sites, 35.4% come from email links/direct address and a mere 0.1% from search engines (a worryingly low figure).

And believe it or not, someone visited on their Nokia phone!

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Reort from teh main wikidot site, via Google Analytics is aas follows
\
Note:
This has only been measuring for a few short days!

This is less than a weeks worth of data, since I started monitoring.
as teh last image shows, most of these folks are downloading and running  ;)

Let me know what more data you require, and I will see if i can get it.